224 Ly Thai To, Hoi An, +84.510, Vietnam

Agoda.com Booking.com Asiatravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 43% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

The most welcoming hotel in Hoi An?

I booked this hotel from Ho Chi Minh City and when I was dropped off by my bus driver in Hoi An, a van from the hotel was waiting to take me to my hotel. I am certain I was the only guest in the hotel, which was quite new and had excellently appointed rooms.
    Breakfast was included in the room rate and, as the hotel was a couple of kilometres walk from the historic old town, there was free pick-up to/from the town. This was great, because when I first arrived, I was disappointed the hotel was out of the main historic area and too far to walk on a hot afternoon.
    The staff here were the best I had in Vietnam, and if you know Vietnam, you'll know that the staff are pretty good everywhere. I really had a relaxing and enjoyable time in Hoi An and the hotel had a lot to do with it. They even organised my flight from Hue to Hanoi.
    Top marks to the staff at Phuong Nam Hotel!

Unique Quality: The staff and the extremely comfortable rooms... How often can you say you actually had a hotel bed more comfortable than your own!!

Directions: About 2.5km north of the old town.

More about Southern Hotel & Villa Hoi An

great expierience Phuong Nam Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gaudiandi

We spent 8 days in Hoi An and all of this time we stayed in the Phuong Nam Hotel. Even though the location is in a new development area away from beaches and inner city, the hotel gets its charm from the staff. They put themselves out to organize our tours, brought and picked us up to and from the beach and city. All concerns are attended to immediately and because we stayed so long we got to know some of the staff well. They are absolutely lovely, caring and after a while we felt almost concidered family. There were tears on our departure. Thank you Mr. Lap (driver) and Ms. Huong (receptionist) and all the others.
Some not so good things we thought we have to share: We stayed in a family room with view to the bus depot and workshop, if you are away for most of the day it should not be a concern.
Once you leave and lock the room the bar fridge got switched off as well.
The air conditioning could not manage to cool the room down efficiently at this time of the year, an additional fan would help to tackle the problem.
However none of this would stop us to stay in this very clean and extremely friendly 2*Hotel.

My nicest stay in Vietnam

by TripAdvisor Member MirKalnicki

Hoi An was my second to last stop in Vietnam -- and the Phuong Nam Hotel was my favorite stay. The hotel staff welcomed us with open arms, and took excellent care of us throughout our stay. The shuttle service was excellent, the rooms spotless and the front desk extremely helpful. I would definitely stay there again!

Friendly staff and great room

by TripAdvisor Member Tweet21

We went to Hoi An for a 4 day 3 night trip and stayed at Phuong Nam hotel. The weather was terribly hot and humid so we were really glad the hotel provides air conditioning (though the 18 degrees celcius felt more like 28 degrees).

The staff were very warm and friendly, always ensuring that we are comfortable and that we enjoy our day. The main person at the reception (Ms Hung) recommended a tailor shop to us (where the shuttle bus would drop the guests). However, we do not really recommend this shop as they were not very proficient at doing measurements. We have to go back for fittings several times before they got it ok. All in all, it's not value for money. For tailoring, just go straight to YALY. You may need to pay slightly more, however the quality and fit is assured.

Hotel room is well decorated and clean, with a spacious bathroom. Mirror is a little far though, so the ladies can forget about trimming their brows there! The lighting in the room is cosy but not condusive for reading/ makeup.

Breakfast at the hotel was so so. Ordering pancakes would be a good choice. The other items like "bread" and eggs are more like baguette and eggs. No chilli sauce, only lots of salt and a bit of pepper.

When booking the local tour to Cham Island through the hotel, DO emphasize to Ms Hung that it must be a SPEEDBOAT as promised in the brochure. If not, be prepared for a sea sickly ride! Even though my girlfriend does not usually suffer from seasickness, she felt sick after the rocky ride on the local bumboat. Another tourist felt so ill she couldn't gather enough strength to get off the boat, and had to be offered a seasick (plastic) bag. With a speedboat, the journey to Cham Island could have taken half the time we took on the bumboat.

DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT attempt to walk back from the town centre to the hotel. Maybe you can try if you are there at the end of the year. Not mid year like Jun/ July, unless you fancy a heatstroke! Always leave the hotel armed with a brolly and a pair of sunnies at least!

Overall the trip and hotel were great, tainted only by the horrendous weather...

Excellent Value, Location So-So

by TripAdvisor Member foodiesubie

Extremely welcoming and immaculate hotel -- we were 2 girls and we got a HUGE room, large enough for 4 people (2 twin beds + 1 queen). Everything was clean and lovely, including the bathroom and bedsheets. Nice decorations, a small TV, a bathtub, and all was quiet and safe.

The staff was extremely helpful, greeting all guests with warm smiles and answering every question to their fullest ability... and there is free internet, free breakfast (banana pancakes!) free shuttle to the city..

Which brings me to my one complaint about the Phuong Nam -- it's not actually in the center of Hoi An. You have to take a 3 minute shuttle bus to a travel office and then walk another 5-7 minutes to the main streets from there. It's not too terrible, but for easier access to roll back to your orom after a night of drinks (the shuttle stops at 10) or when it's raining, some of the hotels in town seem equally nice (I heard) cheaper as well.

For $25 though, it's a pretty good steal by US standards.

Great staff

by TripAdvisor Member BPSB

Our Sinh Cafe bus dropped us at Phuong Nam's doorstep after an overnight ride from Nha Trang and despite not being the sort of travellers to stay at the first guesthouse we see, we ended up staying at Phuong Nam for about two and a half weeks.

Hong and the girls at the front desk were always friendly and eager to help out. The hotel itself seemed almost brand new and, combined with our room being cleaned daily, made for a very pleasant stay.

We'll be back.

A Great Place!!!

by TripAdvisor Member gothen

What to say about this extraordinary hotel...
i've been there for the teth with my father we just arrived at the hotel by the sinh cafe bus on the morning it was the first hotel we saw and we will never regret this choice. Nice hotel, cleen, quiet, peacful, with all the service you need to enjoy your time in hoi an the hotel have a private bus for the custumer, they bring you to the town or to the beach at any time before 10 pm. The Staff is really nice the owner is a nice guys too. he already told me if i come back next year the hotel will have a swimming pool, and some villa at the back of the hotel. only thing to complet a really nice trip. the rooms are spacious,cleen ,got hot water, air conditioning, tv sattelite, mini bar. You can go on the internet to they got 2 computers and it's free for the custumer of the hotel i recommand this hotel to everyone have time to spend in vietnam at hoi an for the price you can expect found better in the town we just really enjoy our stay and hope to go back soon to see the new stuff they got . last word : i insist if you got time go take a look and you will not regret the nice welcome from the staff and your saty too -Raph-

Treated like Family

by TripAdvisor Member PaulStThomas

Having arrived in Hoi An with no hotel reservation, we headed for a local 4 star property only to discover that it was full. Their front desk staff contacted a hotel that we had found on the 'net and they did have room for us. It turned out to be the best unplanned part of our 3 weeks in Vietnam. We booked into the Phoung Nam for 4 nights. Our room was very clean and spacious...linens/towels were changed daily....we had colour TV and a small frig....the staff could not do enough for us and the banana pancakes and fresh squeezed juice for breakfast (included in the room rate) were a delicious treat. The staff helped arrange a few local tours for us as well as a taxi to pick us up at the Hanoi airport which was our next destination. They drove us into and out of the town's centre in the complimentary van (on days when we did not feel like walking the 10 minutes into town) and even rented us a scooter for half a day. We hope to return to Vietnam in 2008 and have Hoi An, and more specifically this hotel, on our "to do" list ---we enjoyed our stay there that much. They are currently building an extension and adding a swimming pool. All of the staff treated us like family or long lost friends. Their warmth,charm AND sense of humour were very genuine--something you do not always find at 4 or 5 star properties. If this is a 2 star hotel, you need not worry about skipping past it to stay at a 3 or 4 star hotel because you're stay here will be well worth it. One last note--my wife had asked about sour sop fruit. The hotel doesn't carry sour sop BUT the next day when we returned to the hotel, a large sour sop was waiting for us in our room along with cutlery. The day after that one arrived, another one showed up in our room---nothing was impossible for this staff who all believe that good, friendly service is the key to success. We will return.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Hansel63

I booked here because it rated so highly with TripAdvisor and it was so disappointing that I now have a problem with the credibility of the ratings system. The hotel is out of town in a desolate area. The accommodation is fairly spartan. The breakfast room is in a kind of garage area. After one night, we went from there to the Hoi An Hotel and this made a huge difference to our enjoyment of Hoi An.

Great

by TripAdvisor Member Ray_Shi

I think it's a good hotel.
At this price, you can't complain anything more. The room and bathroom are very clean and big, decoration inside is beautiful, and I even can find a refrigirator in my room. All the staff are so kind and they can speak good english and you can book your tour or taxi here.
The only problem is the location, around 2 minutes driving to the town center. But the hotel serves a free shuttle bus from 6am to 10pam. Anytime you want to go to town center they can take you there. And they can even take you to the beach, which is about 4 km from Hoi An.
So I booked two nights here first and at last I spent four nights in this hotel.

Ho chi min to Hoi An

by pamera

First time travellers to Vietnam. We have 6 days, flying in to Ho Chi Min city. As we don't have a lot of time, (even though I would LOVE to see Halong Bay - maybe second trip!) we think we will go as far north as Hoi Ann, stopping for a couple of nights in Nah Trang. Could anyone recommend the best way to get to both these destinations and also any accomodation recommendations (cheaper options).
Thanks

RE: Ho chi min to Hoi An

by JonnyVN

Think if you only have 6 days you better fly otherwise you'll spend most of your time on the road. You should spend a bit of time in Saigon too so I would just do Hoi Anh, which has more to see than Nha Trang which is basically just a beach resort

RE: RE: Ho chi min to Hoi An

by tomindo

2 nights in Nha Trang , 1 night in Hoi An 2 nights in Ha Long Bay. To save your time you should fly among destinations.
Quang Minh Hotel in Nha Trang
Phuong Nam Hotel in Hoi An
Sunrise hotel Ha Long

RE: RE: Ho chi min to Hoi An

by NitNoy

Ditto Jonny's advise. Skip Nha Trang.

RE: Ho chi min to Hoi An

by Nelly93

Just got back last week...I got the bus from HCMC to dalate then from Dalat to nha trang.(stayed in Seaview Hotel...very good ..about $14/nite...got talking to EX-pats and they encouraged me to go to Hoi An ..so I did...flew Vietnam airlines for $US30 to Da Nang and taxi from there to hoi An(cost $US10)..about 45 mins drive...really enjoyed Hoi An..clean and large trees...good beach which I got a motor bike to...flew back to HCMC via Pacific airlines for $US52 ..stayed in good hotel in Hoi An...I think it was called Tham Xian by memory..$US15/nite..hope this helps

Comments