Festival Hotel

15 Ly Thuong Kiet St, Thua Thien, Hue, Vietnam
Festival Hue Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

More about Hue

Higway One with the main rail track alongsideHigway One with the main rail track alongside

Looking across pond on north side of libraryLooking across pond on north side of library

Vinh Moc TunnelsVinh Moc Tunnels

The Forbbiden CityThe Forbbiden City

Is a bike OK?

by stamporama

If I rent a bike, is it OK to ride it in and around the Citadel and Forbidden City? If there are areas that are off-limits to bikes, can they be parked and locked safely somewhere? Also, I read from a guide book that one could bring a bike aboard the boats that ply the Perfume River so you could ride off to some of the temples along the banks. Is this true and feasible?

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Is a bike OK?

by DSwede

You cannot bring a bike into the Forbidden City. But you can bring a bike inside the Citadel. The citadel is an open network of streets, allowing free traffic, motorized and otherwise.

I heard that the boats will allow you to bring bikes along, but you may have to negotiate so that they do not try to charge you a bit extra. Bikes are not allowed inside the temple compounds.

Re: Is a bike OK?

by hientonkin

It's true that you can drive to some of the temples along the banks.
To the main pagoda, you cant bike cause you have to hike up steep hill and steps.
yes, there are often parking outside of the sites you want to visit. fee should be 2.000-5.000vnd max, dont pay 10-15.000 if they asked you to.

If not, you can lock the bike, but it's best to have someone watched.

Hien

Travel Tips for Hue

The Perfume River

by iwys

A dragon boat cruise down the Perfume River, or Huong Giang, is something every visitor to Hue should experience. The river takes its name from a perfumed shrub which grows at its source. My most abiding memory of Hue is the Perfume River, which flows through the city, under its bridges and past its palaces and temples.

King for a Day

by Blatherwick

It may be touristy but I thought that this was the most fun thing at the Imperial Palace. For $10 US you can get all these people to dress up and be in a 8 X 10 picture with you. "I am the King. Bow before me peons!"

Lang Co in wet weather

by anoum

Our van driver stopped at a resort along the way from Hue to Hoi An and when we were allowed to walk into it to view the beach and sea. It was a wet day with strong winds, and we saw huge waves crashing onto the shore. A mesmerizing sight although I didn't have the skill to get them on my camera.

Cyclo drivers

by stedeb

We did most of our sight seeing on foot but when we came out of the Citadel and started walking to the museum we were demented by cyclo drivers. We continually said no but they waited until we came out of the museum and started waving at us. They basically just wore us down and we each paid $US1 for a short rid back into the main streets.

Good restaurant and nice owner!

by elbe about Restaurent Lac Thien

The Vietnamese restaurant I remember with the biggest smile is the Lac Thien which we visited in Saigon and Hue. As far as we understood, the first restaurant was in Hue and then the restaurant in Saigon opened. The owner in Saigon is the sister of the owner in Saigon. As most of his seven brothers and sisters he’s dumb. Most of the other family members live in Hue. Although he can’t speak he “told” us a lot of interesting things about his family – but you should go there yourself :-) By the way: The food is the same in both restaurants and very good. I can recommend the Vietnamese pancakes with shrimp, vegetable, meat, salad and peanut-sauce but I have to say that it’s not much. The noodles with shrimp and vegetable are also very good. And if you go home the owner probably will give you one of his great self-made bottle openers.

Comments