Sadie Thompson Building, PO Box 3222, Pago Pago, Tutuila, 96799, American Samoa

mapmap

Travel Tips for Pago Pago

Quarters and other change

by scaleguy

I carry a bag of change in my laptop case to get through airport security faster. I just put this bag in my pocket when I go somewhere. I was buying a can of juice and pulled out this bag of change. When the people at the counter saw it they surrounded me. They wanted my change and no was not an answer. It turns out that money is expensive to ship to Samoa. I had $15.00 in change and managed to keep only $2.00 after this incident. Bring a lot of change with you. If you try to buy something the price may be rounded to the nearest dollar.

Sacred Time

by scaleguy

About 6 PM all the bells on the island ring and sacred time begins. This can last for up to an hour. I do not recommend trying to enter a village during the scared time. You will probably be asked to leave. The main road is OK to be on and you can get to your hotel.

Dogs and Chickens

by scaleguy

Every where you go you will see dogs and chickens. Nobody seems to own them and the locals like to watch the dog fights in the streets.
That being said, small spare ribs do not come from cows. If you're at a local resturant, you may be served dog. It is actually pretty tasty.

The basics

by scaleguy

Pack an empty duffel. You'll need it to bring all your gifts home. Rain gear. Basic first aid and an emergency dental kit. Spend a little money on a panoramic disposable. It is worth it. Food and water. Or find a grocery store.

Pago Pago

"In general"

I went to Pago Pago for business. I spent a week working at the Chicken of the Sea tuna factory. I arrived at 11 PM and my first impression was a beautiful place. When the sun came up I was a little disappointed. It was still a beautiful place but there are some issues with sanitation. Most of the island is National Forest land and the people cannot develop it. This makes getting rid of garbage a little tough. Therefore the garbage tends to pile up. Other than that I really enjoyed my trip. The scenery is most impressive. I highly recommend taking time to talk to the locals. For the most part they are very religious and will tell you great stories.
Getting from Honolulu to Pago Pago is an adventure all it own. Most stuff comes to the island by ship. When the people fly they tend to pack everything. My plane actually returned to the gate and people were asked to volenteer to get off the plane and take their stuff with them. The plane was to heavy to get off the ground.

Comments