American Samoa Hotels

• AndyandLinda profile photo AndyandLinda
  • Reviews: 5

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sadies by the Sea: Great Hotel

Sadies by the sea is a great place to stay staff are friendly. Food and drink excellent. Highly recomended.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Work Abroad
  • Written May 15, 2007
Tip Photo

• sennaya profile photo sennaya
  • Reviews: 575

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rainmaker Hotel: The Rainmaker still goes on

Once it was the only real hotel in American Samoa and was owned and "maintained" by the government, it is now a private accommodation. It maintains the tall thatched roofs to give the flavor of a South Pacific island.

It is named after the Rainmaker Mountain above Pago Pago harbor. Everyday gray clouds and rain from over Rainmaker mountain.

One of the few sun and swimming beaches downtown, The sand was imported to make a better beach. The Samoan islands are volcanic islands with fringing reefs, that means teh sand is made from coral and doesn't build up like continental beaches.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Cruise, Beaches
  • Written December 6, 2006

The Rainmaker in Pago Pago

• ollyf profile photo ollyf
  • Reviews: 111

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Va'oto Lodge, Ofu, Manu'a Islands: Charming spot by the best beach in the world!

Away from the squalour of Scanlan's Motel in Pago, I was very glad to find this little gem, about which it seems nobody has a bad word to say, and rightly so.

It is standard budget accommodation for this part of the world, so don't expect luxury, but there's nothing wrong with it if you're not picky. US$60 gets you your own bungalow with double bed, powerful fan, en suite including hot water, desk and chair and veranda. On top of this, you get three meals a day, free snorkel and flippers hire and free use of their DVD, video and book libraries.

The location is also perfect. You literally step off the plane and walk a few steps to the lodge. As Ofu airport only gets one flight per day (sometimes not even that due to cancellations), you are not disturbed by the proximity of the Lodge to the airstrip. Behind the Lodge are towering, jungle-clad volcanic mountains typical of American Samoa, and in front is the start of the best beach I have ever been to. Some people say it's the best beach in the South Pacific, which is a helluva statement, but from what I've seen - and I've visited a lot of the South Pacific - I have to agree. See my later section for more info on the beach itself.

If you're not there for professional or academic reasons - and a lot of visitors to Ofu are there for those reasons - then a typical day at Va'oto Lodge will consist of a leisurely start, a decent breakfast, a coastal walk followed by much swimming and snorkelling in the aforementioned fantastic Ofu beach, and then a generous, tasty dinner and drinks in the company of interesting people.

Simply put, the location. Extremely convenient for the airport and beach, and easy walking access to other villages. Very friendly and helpful staff and some very charming resident dogs!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Eco-Tourism, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written October 1, 2006

Va'oto Lodge, Ofu

• ollyf profile photo ollyf
  • Reviews: 111

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Scanlan's Motel, Pago Pago: The worst hotel in the world!

My title is quite a bold statement considering I've stayed in some very cheap places in some very poor countries, but this really did take the biscuit. It looks awful from the outside but I figured the inside is easier to maintain so probably would be OK. It was the cheapest place to stay in American Samoa, but how bad could it be? After all, it was in the developed Pacific, and a US territory.

I'll get the good stuff out of the way. The staff were nice and friendly. That's it. As soon as I was shown to my room, it went downhill. OK, it was a cheap room, but surely my US$30 entitled me to have had the sheets changed and the carpet vacuumed at least? Instead, the floor was coated with debris, the sheets were stained and the pillows were covered with hairs. Well, some residents loved the place. The cockroaches, that is. It must have been comfortable for them, since there were so many...

Then the bathroom... I decided against taking a shower because I feared I would come out dirtier than when I went in. The toilet listed dramatically to one side when I sat on it and some manner of insects were burrowing into the toilet paper. The floor and walls were even filthier than in the bedroom.

I slept there because I arrived late and had already paid, but even then I was seriously considering cutting my losses and going somewhere else anyway. As it was, I stayed, never quite sleeping fully because of the bed (which was hard as well as dirty) and the noises of the cockroaches around and under me.

Stay ANYWHERE but Scanlan's when you go to Pago Pago. Please. Not only for your own sake, but they simply don't deserve anybody's business ever again.

Absolutely disgusting.

Might be interesting for people who like to look at car wrecks and foetuses in jars.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

• Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

THE RAINMAKER: BEST HOTEL ON THE ISLAND

VERY NICE ACCOMODATION RIGHT ON THE HARBOR AND NEAR THE TUNA FISHING FLEET,
TRY THE VAILIMA BEER, MADE IN THE ISLANDS. THIS IS AN AMERICAN PROTECTORATE SO THE COUNTRY IS PATTERNED AFTER THE U.S.A.

GREAT VIEW OF HARBOR AND WALKING TO A NICE CITY BEACH

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Fishing, Water Sports
  • Written December 14, 2005

• Juvob profile photo Juvob
  • Reviews: 2
Seipepa Samoan Travel Home: Seipepa Samoan Travel Home

Very friendly and helpful! Speek English, German, Swedish. Wonderful breakfast every morning and on Sundays traditional Samoan food.
Price depends on what you want to pay, how long you stay.... it´s really up to you!

• Written August 26, 2002

• Fotu profile photo Fotu
  • Reviews: 1
Salani Surf Resort: Salani Surf Resort

The resort puts on fia fia nights - this is when the local groups put on a taste of samoan entertainment - this is great and the staff look after you!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written August 26, 2002
Tip Photo

• dreamworld profile photo dreamworld
  • Reviews: 288

I stayed in Apia in a place...

I stayed in Apia in a place called the Seaside Inn. Well room what not that good, bed was a wreck and it was quite noisy at night. There were holes in walls and ground making you think some wildlife would visit you at night...but I did not see anything.
Staff was not very nice, but it is not expensive for where you are....
If you ask they can organize you anything.

• Written August 25, 2002

• crazymeg profile photo crazymeg
  • Reviews: 5

I spent most of my time...

I spent most of my time staying at the USP studying, but when we did leave the city we had the best time staying at Fales and Hotels thorughout the country.
1)Aleipata: I loved the fales at Lalomanu
2)Manono:the best fales I have ever stayed in, they are actually over the water, call Uili (pronounced willy) I think it was 60tala a night with meals
3)Tanu Beach, of course on Savaii, great fun!
4)Safua Hotel, Savaii: you cannot go to Savaii and not stay here. Moelagi Jackson the proprietor is a one-of-a-kind woman, the atmophere is great, wonderful food, a very family style experience, it was my favorite stay I even went back.
5)Vaoto Lodge on Ofu in American Samoa

• Written August 24, 2002

• Matai_Palagi profile photo Matai_Palagi
  • Reviews: 8

Talolo Lodge near the Pago...

Talolo Lodge near the Pago Pago airport - Just ask for Chande's place
Beachcomber in Apia - about a 10min walk from Aggie Greys
Le Godenet in Apia - Right on Harbor Drive out near the Apia Yacht Club
Stevensons at Manasse in Savaii - the very far side of the big island of Savaii
Prices range from $15/night at Stevenson's to about $65 per night at the Talolo Lodge - The Beachcomber is my pick for best bet price/what you get ratio at about $27 per night.

In Pago Pago, AVOID the government run 'Rainmaker Hotel' if at all possible! The service is less then poor, the accomodations are equally so, and the prices are high - This 'hotel' formerly the Hotel Intercontinental now serves as a 'host' location for the local government. Here's a clue: locals refer to this as the 'Pain-maker' ... nuff said?

In Pago Pago, the Talolo Lodge is small but the hospitality and quality is the best in American Samoa, and its close to the airport.

The Beachcomber in Apia has been rated the best backpackers place to stay in the South Pacific and with good reason - just trust me on this one.

Le Godenet? Atmosphere and proximity to some of Apia's night life. They also have a great seafood buffet too!

Stevenson's at Manesse? Seclusion, a 'fale' to sleep in only 30 feet from the water's edge. This is paradise truly - not a 'tourist' hotel exactly - but I guarentee this is what you went to the heart of the South Pacific to find - how's that?

• Written August 24, 2002