Canberra Carotel Motel & Caravan Park

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Canberra

AussieBarney and bungalow_bill49504lAussieBarney and bungalow_bill49504l

CanberraCanberra

Parliament house art worksParliament house art works

The Highest PostboxThe Highest Postbox

travel time between canberra and Melbourne

by vpas

How long would it take by a)bus b)train from Canberra to Melbourne and how which it cost by bus and how much by train?
Vpas

Re: travel time between canberra and Melbourne

by Kakapo2

Most convenient is combined train/bus trip - 9 hours, about 90 AU$

On this website:

you have a full list of services. Some do not operate daily.

Travel Tips for Canberra

Mountains, Parks and Gardens.

by Sweetberry1

Visit the Mountains, Parks Gardens, Museums and Parliment House.
Also Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve which is a short and scenic drive south of Canberra. Here kangaroos, wallabies, koalas and emus run wild. The lakes, water features and fountains, the mountains, and wildlife.

The Carillion

by iandsmith

This is a standout on the northern side of the lake, right next to one of the bridges. There's a walkway (here lit up on the left) that takes you out to the bells and a delightful, if small island behind it.
A gift from the British government on Canberra's 50th anniversary, the Carillion houses 53 bronze bells and is part of the scenic backdrop to Lake Burley Griffin. Opening Hours: Spring Weekdays 12.45 - 1.30 pm Weekends 2.45 - 3.30 pm Public Holidays 2.45 - 3.30 pm Summer Weekdays 12.45 - 1.30 pm Weekends 2.45 - 3.30 pm Public Holidays 2.45 - 3.30 pm Thursday Twilight 5.45 - 6.30 pm Autumn Weekdays 12.45 - 1.30 pm Weekends 2.45 - 3.30 pm Public Holidays 2.45 - 3.30 pm Winter Weekdays 12.45 - 1.30 pm Weekends 2.45 - 3.30 pm Public Holidays 2.45 - 3.30 pm

The truth of the matter

by iandsmith

As mentioned often in my Things To Do pages, checking out the spring blooms is a colourful joy for the gardeners among you. Actually, I'm not into gardening but love the spring blooms anyway. Thus it was that I found myself at Acton Park, lakeside, one spring morning and I decided to go for a stroll, prompted in no small measure by the sight of blossoms surrounding the carpark.
At first I walked across the road and saw the cocky in the tree and, while I was there, I noted across the bridge there were some trees right beneath. How lucky was I that when I arrived a lone paddler drifted past, adding that extra element to the picture (see pic 2).
Upon my return I found myself watching runners from the Canberra Veterans club going by on a 20 km jog and they were mixed with people simply out rambling (pic 3).
Turning my attention to detail I went to macro function and got up close and personal with some of the blooms (pics 4 & 5).
I hope you enjoy viewing them half as much as I enjoyed taking them.

The inside story

by iandsmith

I chanced my arm, so to speak, and walked up the ramp to one of the courts. The vastness of the building almost overwhelms you.
The attendants are all dressed in black and white in keeping with traditions of attire. You are not allowed to take anything in basically, other than yourself. Brave me. I ventured inside one of the court rooms. Five learned (I assume they were anyway) men sat in judgement. Behind them sat younger persons interested in the judiciary.
Facing them were about 7 barristers and their assistants.
The height of the ceiling borders on astronomic. I have no idea of its relevance but it's impressive.
You have to stay there for at least 10 minutes, or so you are told at the door. You also have to bow as you walk in. Should you fail to do either of these things I have no idea what the penalty might be.
Still, I did recall thinking how wonderful it was that we could see our law at work.
What was it like? For me, it bordered on stupifyingly boring but that might have had something to do with the barrister whose speech included liberal sprinklings of "um" and "ah" to the point where I felt like offering him a course in speech therapy.
Clearly, a career on the stage was not something he should ever aspire to.
However, his knowledge (and the judges) of the sections, sub-sections and further sub-sections of seemingly trivial points of law seemed endless. To myself, it seemed that the 15 minutes I was in there could have been condensed into about one. So much irrelevant talk and reference to previous cases, some of which the judges deemed irrelevant.

Taxi

by Ramonq

You don't hail cabs in Canberra. You need to get one in a taxi rank or call them over the phone. Taxis are difficult to get on late nights from Thursday-Saturday because Canberrans often go out to clubs and restaurants during these times.

Comments