1 Binara Street, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, 2601, Australia

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Nice place for a VT Meet

We are in Canberra the capital of Australia...June 2013.....now 2014
    In 2010 my daughter and I stayed 2 nights in a Delux room at Crowne Plaza.... We did not even have to use the lift. And when we walked out of our door we looked right into the atrium.
    So come 2013 wisedancer and I decided to stay here again and it was indeed a very pleasant stay...and time no 3 coming up very soon....and more of the family will be there this time.
    I get a special welcome now...how is that?. I am in the Club...was called Priority but it is now renamed...Yes it is 2014 and here we are again. management went 'out of their way' to give us an early check in and to put our rooms on the same floor as the rest of the family.

We had a beautiful view of the park. Beds were very comfortable . Breakfast on our previous stay was quite OK in the buffet area... though my omelet was not spectacular. This time (No2) we went for a stroll and enjoyed breakfast 'out'.
    Free WIFI is available for Club members and there is a business centre 24 hours a day.
    Parking is available.

Reception staff were very helpful on both visits

Crowne Plaza is close to the main shopping centre and eating places and you can walk through to the Casino.
    Actually it must be the most convenient hotel if you enjoy walking out into the heart of things.

Unique Quality: Well the Binara Bar was full to overflowing on the Friday we arrived in 2010 and I wondered how it would be for our VT Meet. There were lounge chairs in the foyer but the bar was cosier.

Anyway come Saturday night I arrived early and secured a corner table. We were able to order from quite a nice snack menu but AussieBarney wanted to gobble up the food before the others arrived.(Our VT sheep mascot)

Re price...this is a good quality hotel and could not be classed as budget....but prices vary...different rooms...different seasons....and in 2014 my sisters managed to get a really gooddeal....

I am in the Priority Club so can usually arrange a late check out and a newspaper.

And I would love to stay there again.... would be time number 4

I knew I had written up the hotel in 2010 but I am so sorry I forgot I did not have a photo of the bedroom and I still don't....but the bedrooms are fine! Everyone in our party in 2014 remarked on the comfortable beds.
    There was a bath in our suite and the water was nice and hot...I love a room with a bath!

Directions: 1 Binara Street Canberra. ACT 2601...near the centre of Canberra.

• OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

A Good Business Class Hotel

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a week in 2002 and was very happy with the accomodations and location. The hotel is relatively large, but the staff was attentive and took time to ensure all needs were taken care of. It is conveniently located near government buildings and there is a small shopping area with restaurants and shops across a small park in front of the hotel.

There is a casino attached to the hotel, but I was not very impressed with it. They had roulette, slot machines and some Asian games i was unfamiliar with, but no craps tables. The clientele also didn't appear to be the most upstanding citizens -- my apologies to the clientele.

However, I always felt safe in the hotel and the surrounding area. A good bet for a week in Canberra.

Please note my information is dated.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Great Seafood Buffet for Dinner

We stayed here last April when the Sydney Swans Football team were playing against the Melbourne Kangaroos who play some home games up here at Manuka Oval.

As my wife's eldest brother, his family & some of their friends were staying here we thought we might as well stay here as well.

It's supposed to be one of the top hotels in Canberra & I could see how in some ways that might be the case with a classy entrance & lobby, but overall I wasn't overly impressed with it in comparison with the better hotels in Sydney & Melbourne.

One of the things I wasn't happy about was that the swiming pool was outside & not heated which made it a bit too cool for me & the girls to enjoy our swim. For us who have two little fish who enjoy their swims & hotel with a decent pool is a preferred option when we are travelling. Unfortunately this wasn't the case here.

Now, to add insult to injury (for me at least, but even more for my wife who won't venture into even coolish water) their spa (jacuzzi to you Americans) wasn't working!!!!

Unique Quality: Well I don't know if I'd say it had any "unique" qualities, but it wasn't in a bad spot not too far from the centre of town & it is a good quality hotel.

One of the things that we really did enjoy was the Seafood Buffet for dinner on Saturday night. It gave an excellent variety of seafoods (& other dishes too of course) that were of a high quality.

The other thing that may be important for some is that the Canberra Casino is located within (or adjoining it) the hotel so there certainly is easy access to that.

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Crowne Plaza Canberra

You walk into a large, quite sparse atrium when entering this hotel. I couldn't find any doormen and found the service lacked somewhat, but I eventually found the check in desk. The room was simple, but very clean and perfectly fine for what I needed. I have found that despite the fact that Canberra is the nations capital, the rooms in most of the hotels are very simple and lack any of the grandeur you might find in Sydney or Melbourne hotels
    The cocktail bar staff provided great service, but kept their distance at the same time. I highly recommend sitting on the sofa's with a cocktail and ordering the tapas, it was delicious!
    I didnt' go to the pool, but the colleague I was travelling with used the gym and the pool and thought they were both good. However remember to bring your trainers, as you arn't allowed in the gym without them.

I highly recommend the buffet breakfast, its truly worth the money and there are plenty of healthy fruit and cereal type options as well as extensive choices to create your own hot "Aussie" breakfast!

Unique Quality: The breakfast is fantastic! Its one of the closest hotels to town, so you can check out the shops, or the park.

More about Crowne Plaza Canberra

Very nice hotel + casino

by bkathryn about Parkroyal Canberra

When I first went to Australia (1996), I stayed at the Parkroyal Canberra. We also had our meeting at nearby meeting facilities. This is now the Crowne Plaza Canberra. It was so nice that when we ended up in Sydney with no place to stay on a long weekend, we looked up their local representative there!

Fantastic refurbished rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Daisy247

I have never thought about writing a comment before but after reading some of the comments about the tired rooms I thought it was time that I added my thoughts.

I recently stayed at Crowne Plaza Canberra and had the pleasure of staying in one of their refurbished rooms. Dramatically different from the previous rooms I had stayed in and you can really tell they are trying hard to improve the quality of the hotel. Rooms are now really contemporary, extremely comfortable and made my stay even more enjoyable. Great if you travelling on business as they offer great work space and king size beds. Service has always been really efficient and friendly and breakfast is excellent. Amazing choice of hot and cold plus you can now order a real coffee - Latte which is what I desperately need to wake up in the morning.

Great service and great location

by TripAdvisor Member JKY

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Canberra for a week in early March. Overall, the experience was great. The location of the hotel is great. It's a very short walk (less than 5 minutes) to the Civic Centre where there is a large choice of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Very convenient. It's also a short taxi ride to the museums and other sight seeing type of things.

The hotel lobby is nice, clean, modern. The breakfast buffet was good with a large selection of food and beverages. I had room service a couple times and the food was good, but nothing special.

Check-in and check-out were quick and easy. Also noticed that there were never any long lines for this process as well.

The rooms were okay. I would have liked more direct sunlight, but overall the room was clean, laid out okay, and well kept. The heating/cooling system worked well. The bathroom was clean, but kind of small a tad run down. Nothing special at all, although the shower water pressure was good. The bed was just okay. Linens and pillows could be better quality for a four and a half star hotel. Overall, the accomodations was not spectacular and I did expect a little more out of a four and a half star hotel.

What made my stay at the hotel great was the service. Based on the service alone I would stay at this hotel again. Everyone was super friendly and helpful with any request, big or small. Couple of examples....One morning I asked the concierge to call a cab for me. I was waiting outside for about 10 minutes, and there was a long back-up/wait for the cabs; there were about three other people who had been waiting quite a while before me. Thus, one of the hotel staff members pulled up into the driveway with the hotel van and drove four of the guests to their destinations. I thought this was a very nice thing for the staff member to do. Additionally, I was trying to use my room card key to get in to the room and a staff member was walking by. He noticed that I was having trouble with the room key, stopped, tried the card key, and when it didn't work, went downstairs and immediately brought up a new card key for me. Just a couple examples of how attentive the staff is and how great the service was.

Mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member superstardj

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a couple of nights leading up to NYE 2007.

Facility wise, the hotel's fairly decent - nice bars, restaurants, casino in the hotel, heath spa, generally pretty well featured.

The rooms however aren't really indicative of a "four and a half star" hotel... they're reasonable but more three-star standard in my view, except the bathroom which I'd put down as a two-star. In short, could use a bit of a makeover.

In-room dining scored highly, but breakfast gets a big black mark $30AUD per person for possibly the worst hotel breakfast I've ever tried. Spagetti in tomato sauce rather than baked beans and horrible fatty bacon do not make for a pleasent eating experience. Rank.

Free in-room broadband internet however scores a big thumbs-up, something more hotels should do.

All in all, a bit rough around the edges in places but you could do worse.

WOW! Try out the new rooms! SUPER!

by TripAdvisor Member LeeMAnaheim

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza on business in late January 2007, and it was not the first time. Previously I have had good experiences however I now have had a taste of a newly decorated room and I have to say - one of, if not THE, best rooms in Canberra. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Canberra over the years and the new rooms here are far superior to them.

The room had a huge plasma screen, ultra modern design and a super working area. The staff are always so friendly - it makes life a lot easier working away from home so often.

The breakfast buffet in the mornings is amazing - although a little pricey if you buy it on the day - travellers tip - I always ask to get it included in my nightly rate and it works out much cheaper! I love the comforts of home such as the fresh juicer but spoil myself while i'm there and have the smoothies and omlettes made on the spot!

All in all, I think that the way this hotel is looking with the room I stayed in it is well worth the experience! Would definately stay again!

**Highly Recommend!!**

by TripAdvisor Member NDaley

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza on multiple occasions and have had a number of great experiences.
I always stay on the park side of the hotel and highly recommend as it is quieter and although a little bit pricier I always get my money back in the free internet in those rooms. The internet in the business centre is also free which I find a rarity these days and is definately a benefit if I can't get a park room.
The staff always recognise me somehow and it makes it a joy to go back there. I enjoy the bar that they have there - very relaxed and the barman there is a top guy.
All in all, after many "less than positive" experiences at other Canberra Hotels I enjoy going to the Crowne Plaza and Highly recommend it to others.

Comments