1 Binara Street, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, 2601, Australia

Nice place for a VT Meet

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 11, 2010

We are in Canberra the capital of Australia...June 2013.....now 2014
In 2010 my daughter and I stayed 2 nights in a Delux room at Crowne Plaza.... We did not even have to use the lift. And when we walked out of our door we looked right into the atrium.
So come 2013 wisedancer and I decided to stay here again and it was indeed a very pleasant stay...and time no 3 coming up very soon....and more of the family will be there this time.
I get a special welcome now...how is that?. I am in the Club...was called Priority but it is now renamed...Yes it is 2014 and here we are again. management went 'out of their way' to give us an early check in and to put our rooms on the same floor as the rest of the family.

We had a beautiful view of the park. Beds were very comfortable . Breakfast on our previous stay was quite OK in the buffet area... though my omelet was not spectacular. This time (No2) we went for a stroll and enjoyed breakfast 'out'.
Free WIFI is available for Club members and there is a business centre 24 hours a day.
Parking is available.

Reception staff were very helpful on both visits

Crowne Plaza is close to the main shopping centre and eating places and you can walk through to the Casino.
Actually it must be the most convenient hotel if you enjoy walking out into the heart of things.

Unique Quality: Well the Binara Bar was full to overflowing on the Friday we arrived in 2010 and I wondered how it would be for our VT Meet. There were lounge chairs in the foyer but the bar was cosier.

Anyway come Saturday night I arrived early and secured a corner table. We were able to order from quite a nice snack menu but AussieBarney wanted to gobble up the food before the others arrived.(Our VT sheep mascot)

Re price...this is a good quality hotel and could not be classed as budget....but prices vary...different rooms...different seasons....and in 2014 my sisters managed to get a really gooddeal....

I am in the Priority Club so can usually arrange a late check out and a newspaper.

And I would love to stay there again.... would be time number 4

I knew I had written up the hotel in 2010 but I am so sorry I forgot I did not have a photo of the bedroom and I still don't....but the bedrooms are fine! Everyone in our party in 2014 remarked on the comfortable beds.
There was a bath in our suite and the water was nice and hot...I love a room with a bath!

Directions: 1 Binara Street Canberra. ACT 2601...near the centre of Canberra.

OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

A Good Business Class Hotel

by written on April 12, 2007

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a week in 2002 and was very happy with the accomodations and location. The hotel is relatively large, but the staff was attentive and took time to ensure all needs were taken care of. It is conveniently located near government buildings and there is a small shopping area with restaurants and shops across a small park in front of the hotel.

There is a casino attached to the hotel, but I was not very impressed with it. They had roulette, slot machines and some Asian games i was unfamiliar with, but no craps tables. The clientele also didn't appear to be the most upstanding citizens -- my apologies to the clientele.

However, I always felt safe in the hotel and the surrounding area. A good bet for a week in Canberra.

Please note my information is dated.

aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Great Seafood Buffet for Dinner

by written on April 3, 2005

We stayed here last April when the Sydney Swans Football team were playing against the Melbourne Kangaroos who play some home games up here at Manuka Oval.

As my wife's eldest brother, his family & some of their friends were staying here we thought we might as well stay here as well.

It's supposed to be one of the top hotels in Canberra & I could see how in some ways that might be the case with a classy entrance & lobby, but overall I wasn't overly impressed with it in comparison with the better hotels in Sydney & Melbourne.

One of the things I wasn't happy about was that the swiming pool was outside & not heated which made it a bit too cool for me & the girls to enjoy our swim. For us who have two little fish who enjoy their swims & hotel with a decent pool is a preferred option when we are travelling. Unfortunately this wasn't the case here.

Now, to add insult to injury (for me at least, but even more for my wife who won't venture into even coolish water) their spa (jacuzzi to you Americans) wasn't working!!!!

Unique Quality: Well I don't know if I'd say it had any "unique" qualities, but it wasn't in a bad spot not too far from the centre of town & it is a good quality hotel.

One of the things that we really did enjoy was the Seafood Buffet for dinner on Saturday night. It gave an excellent variety of seafoods (& other dishes too of course) that were of a high quality.

The other thing that may be important for some is that the Canberra Casino is located within (or adjoining it) the hotel so there certainly is easy access to that.

astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

by written on May 12, 2004

You walk into a large, quite sparse atrium when entering this hotel. I couldn't find any doormen and found the service lacked somewhat, but I eventually found the check in desk. The room was simple, but very clean and perfectly fine for what I needed. I have found that despite the fact that Canberra is the nations capital, the rooms in most of the hotels are very simple and lack any of the grandeur you might find in Sydney or Melbourne hotels
The cocktail bar staff provided great service, but kept their distance at the same time. I highly recommend sitting on the sofa's with a cocktail and ordering the tapas, it was delicious!
I didnt' go to the pool, but the colleague I was travelling with used the gym and the pool and thought they were both good. However remember to bring your trainers, as you arn't allowed in the gym without them.

I highly recommend the buffet breakfast, its truly worth the money and there are plenty of healthy fruit and cereal type options as well as extensive choices to create your own hot "Aussie" breakfast!

Unique Quality: The breakfast is fantastic! Its one of the closest hotels to town, so you can check out the shops, or the park.

Nearby Crowne Plaza Canberra

• Canberra Crowne Plaza

Address: 1 Binara Street, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, 2601, Australia

3 Photos of Crowne Plaza Canberra

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Canberra Travel Forum

Need advice about Canberra, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Canberra and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Canberra hotel reviews