Diamant Boutique Canberra

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Diamant Boutique Canberra

NOT FIVE STAR

by TripAdvisor Member cezcan

The Diamant Hotel Canberra is definitely NOT a five star hotel. The staff were not polished and there was no concierge.

Whilst the ‘deluxe room’ was clean and fitted with modern décor, it was very small. There was no mention of any facilities of the hotel when we checked in, nor did the check in staff mention the hotel policy of charging a bond to your credit card of your per night rate plus $100 per night extra, held for 5 days after you check out.

We were not told about the complimentary fitness first passes.

There is no doona cover on the doona, just a white sheet beneath and over the top of it.

Our bathroom sink leaked and when we called reception to complain, a staff member came to our room and told us that this happens in a lot of the rooms and not to fill the sink up (quite difficult when my partner wanted to shave). The staff member got a towel and wiped the water that had leaked on the floor and then said if it happened again that he would come back and mop it back up. Not the response I expected to hear. The light in the shower also did not work and was not replaced.

On the day of checking out, we received a knock on our door by cleaning staff at 9am asking what time we were planning to check out. Considering check out was not until 11am, I found this really rude.

The only highlight was the Parlour Wine Bar, which was connected to the hotel but we luckily stumbled across it ourselves as none of the facilities of the hotel were explained to us.

Staff were extremely unprofessional an inexperienced for what I expect from a supposed five star hotel charging five star prices.

Will stay at the Hyatt or Crown Plaza next time.

diamant in the rough!

by TripAdvisor Member angeliahal

Centrally located in the New Acton Pavilion (5 min walk into town; 3 minwalk to Lake Burley Griffin), this pleasant hotel has a contemporary art deco style. We booked a deluxe room with bath, which we established was the bigger & better of the deluxe rooms. Surprisingly spacious with firm & comfortable queen bed, large bathroom with separate bath & shower, flat screen tv, & all the 4 star (wouldn't say 5) hotel essentials. Very clean. Hotel itself has an unusual ambience - it is clearly a heritage property, but is decorated with a mix of art deco & surrealist pieces (see winged chair in foyer). You are spoilt for choice with a couple of restaurants within hotel premises, a nearby wine bar, as well as the fantastic 'As Nature Intended' organic cafe & grocery store on the corner. Beauty salon on site. Check-in is efficient & they offer late check-out plus left luggage facility. Rooms have broadband internet ($35 for 3 days). Only drawbacks were: noise level (the room doors are not particularly sound-proof so that hall-way noise/voices echo but fixed with ear-plugs, and probably of more importance to females, our bathroom had an enormous mirror above the bath but none above the sink (which led to much stretching across bath for make-up). Very family friendly but can be noisy as result. Overall a comfortable stay: not strictly 'boutique' but good enough.

Overall not bad at all...

by TripAdvisor Member josh909

Having been a little disappointed with our last stay at the Canberra Hyatt we decided to look for something else this time, and decided on the Diamant.

I booked a deluxe room (with bath) online the week prior to our stay. We arrived in Canberra, caught up with friends and arrived at the hotel around 6pm where we were checked in and directed to our room within just a couple of minutes.

The dark hallways with their ecclectic lighting / decor are the first sign that this is a boutique hotel. We found our room easily enough and upon first impressions were pleasantly surprised. The room was more than large enough with all the standard ammenities. The bathroom was more than ample and we put our bags away and settled in for what was to be a pleasant stay overall.

There were a few issues that potential guests should be aware of:

1. The room service menu is catered for by the two (third party) restaurants within the hotel. Whilst the menus looked quite good had I chosen to dine in the actual restaurant, it's not room service style food and around 10pm when i decided i wanted a club sandwich or burger, sadly neither could oblige.

2. the hotel is totally non smoking and as such smokers like myself need to head out the front to get their 'fix'. I don't mind that per se - what i do have a problem with is the complete absence of ashtrays or bins of any type which leaves smokers with the choice of littering or alternatively, carrying their stubbed out cigarettes back up to the bins in their room.

3. Like many hotels, reception takes an 'imprint' of your credit card upon check-in. Unbeknownst to us, they also debit your card AU$100 as a sort of bond. I understand that this is fairly common these days however at other establishments (eg. The Hyatt) they have always explained that this would be happening - the staff at the Diamant unfortunately did not... as the transaction showed up on our internet banking simply as 'miscellaneous debit' we spent 20 mins on the phone to our bank the next day to find out what the charge was and then a further phonecall to the hotel itself who when my wife suggested they might want to let guests know upfront about charge, received "if we explained everything you would never get to your room" as a response.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and in all likelihood will return next time we are in Canberra. The price was good, staff are polite and professional, the rooms clean, modern and whilst the styling/decor may not be to everyone's taste, we loved them.

What is all the fuss about?

by TripAdvisor Member JamesAdelaide

Personally, I do not know what all the fuss is about? After transversing the rabbit warren of dark corridors I eventually found my room. I paid $300 for a ‘Deluxe’ room, which was tiny, even compared to London standards. Unfortunately I had no bath, as indicated by the pictures on their website, as it was the disabled room. This also meant that taking a shower meant swimming for the door and exiting with wet feet. The small bed was rather lumpy and not what I had hoped for in a new hotel. The saving race was a splendid breakfast, so at least my last impression of the hotel was enjoyable. Regardless, you can do a lot better in Canberra for this amount of money.

Would not stay there again.

by TripAdvisor Member greek_buddha

Overall it was a terrible experience and would not stay there again. The hallways are dark and dingy, the "decor" in the corridor consists of a flourescent light tube, that is fixed diagonally, anchored by a screw in wall hook. When we went into the room, it was dark and incredibly small! The starkness, which is meant to be contemporary modern, which is what the website reflects, instead looks cheap and tacky. We had booked a deluxe room. The "queen" bed is more a double and there is barely room to move around. The doona even had a large blood stain on it, when we stripped it off the bed! The bathroom was strangely opened with magnetic fixed frosted doors and although using obviously good fixtures, the finish and installation looked like they had found the cheapest possible installer to install the fixtures, which is a shame! Kiven Murphy products are the only bonus you will get here. Staff were not at all helpful nor friendly on check in.Beware of the plunger coffee facility: they have a plunger, however you are charged for the coffee. Our TV remote was damaged, so once we had turned on our TV, we had to resort to changing the channel to DVD/ AUX in order to create a black screen so that we could sleep overnight. The plumbing is noisy, walls & floors thin. Would not go back there ever. Truely a disappointing stay.

Diamant disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member nicola2667

The Diamant website promises big things so it was disappointing to find that the reality doesn't live up to the hype. The decor is very stylish, in the foyer and the rooms, but the room we stayed in was small and noisy. It was a de luxe room not the standard option, so goodness knows what the standard is like -- it must be tiny. The bathroom is lovely, but there's nowhere to hang your towels to let them dry -- and given Canberra doesn't have an abundance of water, surely the hotel doesn't want to encourage guests to use a fresh towel every day? The staff were friendly and helpful, but when we asked for a light globe for one of the bedside lamps (it didn't have one at all) we were told the hotel had 'run out'. The room was also very noisy, with all movement and conversations in the corridor clearly audible. As there were guests still wandering around at 2 am this made for a disturbed night's sleep all three nights we were there. That aside, the bed was comfy, the shower was great, we could plug the iPod into the TV to play music, and the windows opened. The Parlour bar is fantastic -- and again the staff were very helpful. Breakfasts in the cafe were extremely generous, although the serivce was a bit haphazard. I don't think I'd stay there again though -- the noise factor outweighs all the pluses.

Rip off

by TripAdvisor Member Daniela_Venusta

Frustrating stay in Canberra!

After browsing the web page of the Diamant Hotel we decided to invest a bit more money and stay in the "Heritage Room". What a mistake!

The pictures on the hotel web page for the different room types are totally misleading! Having booked a Heritage room we were expecting a room with a comfortable couch to chill out.
What we found was one chair in the very small room. With the web page images in mind I went back to reception to find out if we ended up by mistake in the deluxe room (even the premier room was pictured with two seating possibilities). The answer was very disappointing - I was made aware that if I had carefully read the description of the room type than I would have noted that no couch was mentioned. - Thanks for nothing!

Apart from this the room was very noisy as located at the end of the hall facing two streets - not at all worth the extra money.

We decided to enjoy our stay nevertheless and had a very good 7-course degustation dinner at the Flint Restaurant associated with the hotel. We were informed that with the dinner matching wines would be served. To our question if this was included in the package we were assured "Yes off course!".

What a surprise when checking my credit card account a month later - more than 10 days after our stay $60 dollars were deducted from my credit card...please feel free to wonder with me how long the hotel holds on to your credit card imprint!
Only after a called the hotel to complain I was informed that is was for the wine at dinner!

It would have been nice if I would have know this upfront, the explanation by the manager - this was a miscommunication and the Restaurant is independent form the Hotel leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

love affair

by TripAdvisor Member geoff90

We have spent 4 days in canberra. From start to finish the diamant hotel staff really looked after us. The hotel has beautiful pieces of art that make you feel at home in luxury. The room we got was better than we nomally get and I am glad it was so beautiful thank you. We choose this hotel because I wanted a modern and groovy hotel for our 10 year anniversay. The hotel was that good my wife and I promise we will go back more often to visit.

A very nice Boutique Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member vivien_8

My husband and I stayed at the Diamant Hotel for 1 night in June. We went to an exhibition at the National Gallery.

We arrived Saturday afternoon and were instantly welcomed by the staff. The check in procedure was fast and efficient.

The general ambience of the hotel was welcoming.

That night we ate at a restaurant in the CBD area. We were not happy with the restaurant and rushed back to the hotel to have coffee and a dessert ,around the fire, in the foyer area. Again the service was good and the food delicious.

The next morning we had breakfast in the hotel. It was also good.

We have to go back to Canberra in November and I have already booked the Diamant Hotel for our stay.

Great stay at the Diamant

by TripAdvisor Member Chrismelb

After seeing the unfortunately negative reviews on the site here I thought to share my own experience at the Diamant.

I recently stayed for three nights for a work related visit and found it to be very pleasant and relaxing stay. I was able to relax easily and enjoy the friendly service from the staff in both the hotel and attached restaurant, which I frequented for breakfast and dinner. Great wine bar on site too. Almost a shame I'm not a local or I would be there more often.

The hotel staff were professional and helpful. The room was a little small because of the heritage listed buildings but was very nicely decorated with a modern twist. The tasteful decor and artwork around the place provided interesting input for the eye.

Loved the overall quality, from the great doonas to the Bang & Olufsen TV! My room faced onto Edinburgh Ave and I found it to be very quiet believe it or not. I am a sensitive sleeper and I had no trouble getting quality shut eye. Definitely recommended.

Comments