Hyatt Hotel Canberra

Commonwealth Avenue, Yarralumla, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, 2600, Australia

Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Traditional Hotel

The Hyatt Hotel is situated in a lovely position beside the lake and within close proximity to the National Art Gallery. Out of the city but can catch a taxi or bus to town. Its a refeshing hotel in an old historic building. Probably one of the best Hotels in Canberra.

PROS: Lovely old building situated by the lake with great walking and cycling tracks. Indoor heated swimming pool with spa and sauna. Tea and coffee facilties, mini bar and large spacious rooms with extra large bathroom. Smoking and non-smoking rooms available. Bikes to hire for hourly or day rates. Good choice of restaurants available and bar. Breakfast excellent with ample of choices.

CONS: Out of city, rooms need to be updated. Expensive compared to other hotels in area.

Recommendation : Yes - a lovely traditional establishment.

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Hyatt Hotel - Canberra's only 5 star hotel

I have stayed here acouple of times and have also organised functions here. I found the service to be excellent in general. The rooms are simple, but clean with very large bathrooms. If you can get a room with a balcony it is a great place to sit and listen to the birds in the Australian native trees and drink a wine or two! The event staff were very helpful, and the freedom in the use of the business centre was great. The business facilities are of an average standard. The "Board" room is quite small but sufficient for a party of around 9-10 max. The buffet dinners in the restaurant are satisfactory, but don't make the mistake that I did and assume that the cold buffet, which is the main display of the room, is the only part of the buffet. Off to the side, at the front of the restaurant is a Hot buffet as well (this is all included in the "Buffet" price).

Unique Quality: I recommend going down to the bar for a nightcap and sitting outside overlooking the beautifully manicured gardens! The drinks arent too expensive (a cointreau on ice was about $6). I was by myself and did not get hassled at all as it is mostly business men. The staff were realy friendly and helpful.

More about Hyatt Hotel Canberra

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member TravelChick78

The only 5 star property in Canberra and we wern't dissapointed.

I booked on the Hyatt website and got a very low rate for two nights on a weekend.

On checking in we were less than impressed as we had to park half way around the side of the hotel. When we went to the front desk to check in we must have been on change of shift as when we went to the next available counter the staff member walked away!

Once getting to our rooms we were more than happy with our decision. It is beutiful old building that has been added onto. The lobby bar has chadilers hanging from the ceiling with wonderfully comfortable chairs and lounges and we both enjoyed a nitecap here after dinner in the city on both nights.

Another downside was that they were holding weddings on the saturday night and the music was loud for a lot longer than we would have liked.

Oh, and pay for the buffett breakfast one morning, the food was wonderful, the service great and though expensive was a definate must for at least one of the mornings.

Great intro to Canberra

by TripAdvisor Member RogerfromLondon

We stayed overnight at the Hyatt on Australia Day, having prebooked the hotel as our stopover in Canberra travelling from Merimbula to Sydney. Not sure what to expect from some of the reviews, but our stay was terrific. Check in was a little slow, but friendly and helpful. We got an excellent rate over the Hyatt internet site, but were upgraded to a very nice room when we arrived, despite the hotel being pretty full. Bedroom was in the new block at the back of the hotel and was outstanding - large room with enormous bed, sitting area, great bathroom and a modern TV with satellite channels.
Came as something of a surprise to find the hotel was so spacious and airy, given its rather charming but old world feel when you pull in at the front on Commonwealth Avenue.
As the hotel restaurant was full that evening, we booked an early dinner and took the buffet option. The first courses and desserts were magnificent, the mains a bit ordinary - but after a dozen delicious huge shrimp who cares?
Staff were friendly and helpful - maybe a little inexperienced for a 5 star, but that's Australia for you. A pleasant manner makes up for a lot.
My wife and I both liked the atmosphere of the hotel. It had a pleasant main public area, and nice gardens to sit in the sun or the shade. It didn't feel at all stuffy and seemed to function well as either a buisness or a tourist hotel.
Location turned out to be perfect. We had considered a downtown hotel but looking round Canberra felt we'd made the perfect choice with the Hyatt. Easy walk to the Parliament building and the lakeside, and it felt much more open on the South side than in the CBD.
If we return to Canberra, wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Historic hotel needing some TLC

by TripAdvisor Member Elysia

The Park Hyatt Canberra is a special place - with historical and architectural significance. Built in the 1920s, as the Hotel Canberra, the complex has real charm that you rarely experience in Australia. The low scale of the original buildings - sited in landscaped gardens - provide a relaxed haven in "public service" Canberra.

During the late 1980s the hotel was redeveloped by architects Daryl Jackson and a new wing added to the original complex. Designers Hirsch Bedner was responsible for the interior design of the hotel in an art deco style. Hirsch Bedner did a magnificent job of the interiors and much of their scheme remains today although, not surprisingly, the soft furnishings have been replaced over the twenty or so years since the Hyatt opened.

Arriving at the hotel you are greeted by enthusiastic bell hops dressed in period styled uniforms. A nice touch. Upon checking in you are bluntly reminded that you are squarely back in the 21st century confronted by unenthusiastic reception staff. But that is Australia for you.

We have stayed at this hotel around 10 times over the years and can offer the following guidance on the rooms. Our preference is to stay in one of the two old wings of the hotel in the "Balcony King" rooms. These wings are located off the lobby to the north and south. The rooms and suites are located off a circular corridor around beautiful landscaped gardens.

They are large rooms nestled into the gardens with beautiful green views. There are windows on two sides of the room and glazed doors onto a good sized balcony. The art deco styled marble bathroom, that still looks good after 20 years, is also enhanced by a window.

These rooms are located in two storey wings. The first floor has more privacy than the ground level - with the ability to leave the glass doors open at night without any worries of security. unfortunately the original double hung windows in the complex are permanently fixed shut.

Although the furnishings in the room are adequate - it lacks any luxurious touches. Perhaps management could place a few travel magazines in the rack; provide a small vase of flowers in the room or bowl of fruit; a small candle in the bathroom and some a couple of complimentary bottles of water by the bedside? How hard is it?

We have stayed in the new wing of the hotel and find the rooms standard hotel fare. Quite adequate - but with little soul. One word of warning. Do not accept a room adjacent to the cafe. These rooms are smaller, have poor outlooks and are extremely noisy.

I can't comment on the Ambassador Lounge as the doors were locked shut (at 7.50pm) when we visited prior to leaving for dinner. Making our way back to the entry we walked past the Promenade Cafe. At 8 pm it was absolutely packed, noisy and not a space I would have wanted to dine in. Other than the Tea Lounge this is the only food outlet in the hotel. There used to be a fine dining restaurant - but that was closed years ago. Really this is not good enough for a five star hotel.

The Tea Lounge is a pleasant space to enjoy a snack. They offer the usual morning and afternoon high teas - and the lounge is usually well patronised. The staff try hard - but they are run off their feet. I waited more than half an hour to be served a smoked salmon sandwich in the bar (the lounge was full) and had to get up to order a drink as the staff completely ignored me. The bloody mary - I was finally served - was bloody awful.

On our most recent stay the room service breakfast ordered was almost inedible and our past experiences in the Promenade Cafe, for breakfast, were ordinary to say the least.

The Park Hyatt Canberra has the bones of a truly great hotel, however, the poor service, lack of attention to detail and sub-standard food/beverage on offer mar the experience.

Lovely Experience!

Our wedding anniversary coincided with a business trip to Canberra so we decided to spoil ourselves with a night at the Hyatt.
What a charming, romantic hotel! We stayed in a club deluxe king room and it was enormous, plenty of space to move and every comfort provided. Would definitely recommend as we had access the the Ambassador Lounge for canapes, breakfast and all day refreshments. Certainly adds a luxurious, exclusive spin to your stay. The hotel has lovely public areas, we enjoyed a drink in the tea lounge, walks in the gardens, and easy access to the city centre. Staff were fantasic, courteous and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We were even surprised with complimentary champagne as it was our anniversary.

Canberra is a lovely, green city, and the Hyatt is the only game in town for a truly luxury, 5 star experience! Loved it and will definitely return!

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member not_only_but_also

I specifically requested a quiet room when making my reservation and again when checking in. The staff member checking me in spent several minutes poring over the computer while finding me the room that he assured me was the quietest in the hotel. I was woken up at midnight by the sound of a function being packed away and lots of loud voices. I poked my head out of my door and discovered that next to my room was a door leading into a services area where dozens of staff were clearing away glasses and crokery while chatting loudly with each other. I rang the front desk and was told they couldn't do anything about it. This went on for about two hours. I was then woken again at about 5am by the sound of chairs and tables being dragged about upstairs. This went on so long I eventually gave up all idea of getting any sleep and decided to check out. On my way out, I worked out that my room was directly below the main dining area and I'd been woken up by the breakfast service starting up. The person who dealt with me at the front desk when I checked out acted like I was making it all up and was most unhelpful. I took it further though and wrote to the hotel manager personally. A couple of months later, he wrote me an apology and refunded me the cost of my stay. Not good enough though - the only thing I asked for and expected was a quiet room and they couldn't deliver. I will never stay there again.

Excellent staff

by TripAdvisor Member TCWOZ

I had long heard about this hotel and was not disappointed. The staff are outstanding ( as with most Hyatts in Australia ). Check in early was no problem and the Club Rooms are well worth the extra money. Huge bathroom, great towels and a plasma compliment these rooms well.
The breakfast in the Ambassador Lounge was great and the evening drinks and snacks were very good. The location is great to explore all the main attractions with both Parliament Houses just a short walk away.The only negative is that they do that very strange thing where there is no sheet under the doona cover. So its quite hot with a doona and cold with nothing else.
I recommend the Zooventure Tour at the National Zoo - outstanding experiences including hand feeding a cougar and a bear!

Must stay hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Patrickjoseph

We had the pleasure of staying 2 nights in this hotel. I loved everything about both the hotel and our stay.

The hotel itself is a beautiful building evoking memories of a bye gone era. The rooms were great, roomy & of high quality.

The staff had that typical Australian familar but very helpful approach.

We ate in house both nights and the buffet was high quality and good value.

The facilities such as the Gym were excellent.

I wish I could find this style of hotel in every major city combining quality with a wonderful ambience.

I booked on the Hotels own web site and the rate was great. I had some trouble booking adjoining rooms so rang their reservations area who not only sorted it out and booked the rooms for me but gave me the internet rate as well.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Canberra after experiencing this. strongly recommended and I'm fussy.

When is fivestar not five star? When it is the Hyatt in Canberra!

by TripAdvisor Member Zaubie

This hotel is the classic situation where everying COULD be great but it isn't. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, but there's always something that isn't right - one bathrobe instead of two (when it's a double); spotless except for an empty bottle that has somehow been overlooked; etc. The staff do their best, but most of them are young and inexperienced and have no idea what five star service entails. The common areas are so lovely, and yet in this cold period the main tea room is freezing. When mentioned, nothing was done about suggesting the heating be turned up, although the explanation was given - the front doors are open a lot! So close the damn doors or bump up the heating! We then go into the bar, which has hardly any seating, and when asked if we could bring a couple of seats into a completely empty corner we are told it's not possible.
This is not five star - indeed, it should be the reverse: would you like us to bring you a couple of chairs. I am sorry Hyatt Canberra - you look great but you ain't great. And from now on I'll breeze through but I won't be staying.

Comments