Rydges Eagle Hawk Resort

Agoda.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 36% less but rated 20% lower than other 3 star hotels

• How many stars?

I've stayed in 3 star motels with better quality accommodation. Cracked tiles, dirty tile grout, toothpaste splatter on bathroom door.

Quality aside, our biggest problem was communication...
    Started with an online booking...discounted price with breakfast extra.
    Before retiring we decided that we would leave the following morning before breakfast and grab something on the way (700km drive).

Asked reception about refund on breakfast and was told that we would only be charged if we had breakfast...wrong!

Not only were we charged more than the online price, we were charged for the breakfast we didn't have.

Contacted Rydges by phone to query the charges and was told that the accounts person would be in the following day and contact us about the charge...still waiting for the call.

Would we stay here again, no!

For the price, there is much better accommodation in Canberra.

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

COUNTRY ESCAPE near Canberra

Our stay was not so good here. I got the deal from Rydges mainly due to the family offer for bed, breakfast and tickets to Questacon, Canberra's Science Museum.

However, we foundd our family room a bit cramped for all four of us. The hot breakfast was alright, it was not buffet.

We've stayed at several Rydges' hotel chains but this one was not to our liking. It was cold outside too so it is not very advisable to stay in cabins/units for young families.

It is classified as a hotel but it is more like a tourist/caravan park. There are amenities but since it was winter and freezing outside, the outdoor pool is useless in cold weather so we would have preferred heated indoor pools like in other Rydges hotels in Canberra.

Unique Quality: There is really nothing much to say about it, must be alright in the summer as the bush setting would be more appreciated. There is an archery stand and tennis courts too aside from the pool. The equipments are free of charge I think. Staff are a bit helpful, thankfully!

• great value, worth returning for!

The grounds are well kept and buildings newly renovated. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Apart from a few small problems eg a couple of spiders in the room and the toilet stopped flushing once, it was a perfect stay and the problems were dealt with within 15 mins of us reporting them. The room was very nice, facilities excellent-with free use of pool, spa, sauna, pool table, tennis courts etc. Restaurant was gorgeous and by being a rydges priority member it was a cheap very nice dinner (delicious wood fired pizza) with cheap drinks. It was a very relaxing and comfortable stay which was wonderful and extrememly affordable. Even though it was 10-15 mins out of the main part of town the resort itself more then made up for it, as I have stayed closer in town for alot more then i paid for this resort and didnt get nearly the same service!
    I would certainly be retuning asap and would recommend this resort to all!

Unique Quality: the use of spa, sauna, gym, pool, tennis courts (also they provide balls and raquets), in house movies, 3 outstanding restarants and a bar in the resort! surrounded by tranquil bushland

Directions: just beofre you head into the main section of canberra, big sign directs you and is next to a united petrol station, you cant miss it.

More about Rydges Eagle Hawk Resort

Tries Hard, but......

by TripAdvisor Member wisend-traveller

Ok, I promise to keep this short. People seem to enjoy writing enormous tomes about their problems with hotels.

This hotel was a last choice, as my booked accomodation was so awful, I left.

This is place has hoardings up on the highway saying 'Now 4 Star Rated'. Makes you wonder what is was before.

Check in: reception staff was very young and completely humourless - the girl on the desk thought (for some reason) my surname was Simpson. She asked my my first name - to which I replied 'Homer'. Not even a smile! Come on!

Essentially, this 'resort' is a series of blocks of eight motel style rooms that have been modernised. The decor is modern, and the rooms have mini bar, large flat-panel tv and the usual comforts.

But let's not get away from the fact the rooms are motel rooms. 4 meters by 8 meters.

I spent 15 minutes killing the dozens of spiders and moths in the room, and there were spider webs all around the roofline. Makes you wonder when this room was last cleaned???

Didn't get chance to try the restaurants, so can't comment, but there is a bottle shop next door. Well worth a visit after a long hard day on the road.

Also, watch out for the legions of kangeroos that congregate on the gorunds around the hotel at night. makes you feel like you're being watched all the time ;o)

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member getawayf0r2

After reading reviews for this hotel I must admit I wa considering cancelling my booking. I'm glad I didn't.

I'm not sure which hotel the previous guests were reviewing but it certainly wasn't Rydges Eagle Hawk.

Check in was pleasant and fast. Forms were already filled out with booking details -name address phone number - all I had to do was sign.The package we booked included breakfast and two tickets to the National Gallery. Tickets and breakfast voucher were handed over with the room keys and a smile. A map of where our room was located and easy directions from the girl who checked us in was clear and free.
Our Room - Standard Garden Room - was clean and comfortable (spider and moth free).

Coffee tea making facilities, bar fridge, flat screen tv, clean fresh towels extra blankets, pillows and a small fan heater in case we found the reception controlled air con not to our liking.
Perfect.

Dinner was a quick snack in the cafe -woodfire pizza- and was reasonably priced (as a Priority guest 20% off was excellent value).
Breakfast was full buffet and more than fulfilled our expectations.
The Rydges website has photo's of the motel and all photo's are completely accurate.

Yes, it is about 15 minutes from the CBD and the website clearly states that it is on 30 acres of natural landscaped gardens. So no surprises there.

If you want a motel thats near restaurants and shopping and noise then book in the city - if your looking for something affordable clean and quiet then this is it.

Would we stay again? Absolutley and have rebooked for May 2008.

Fantastic stay

by TripAdvisor Member unconventionality

I stayed at Rydges Eagle Hawk with my partner for a romantic getaway and I have to say that it was truly amazing, never had we felt more relaxed and refreshed.

Upon arrival I was greeted with a friendly smile from the girl at the desk who gave clear instructions of where we needed to go. We were staying in a spa suite which was the best room available at $159.

The room was very nice, king size bed, seperate lounge and eating area, and spa in very nice bath room. The room was clean, spotless, no cobwebs, no spiders/moths/any insects.

We had dinner in the Wintergarden Restauarant and it was fantastic, good value and tasted delicious. The service was perfect and we were looked after very well.

I'm looking forward to the next time that I will be staying at Rydges Eagle Hawk and am excited to stay at other Rydges around Australia as well!

Dull and Lifeless

by TripAdvisor Member LAS_Brissy

The reception area was devoid of people when we entered: a big, cold, empty space. When we stood at the counter for a minute or so, a young lady appeared.

Our check in was very professional and pleasant but, unfortunately, we were assigned a room that the housekeepers had just commenced making ready. This was in spite of the fact that we had rung the hotel shortly after picking up our car at 8.30 a.m. and made it known we would like to check in ASAP. We were told that check in time was 2 p.m. and that no guarantees could be made that a room would be ready earlier so we arrived at the motel at approximately 2.30 p.m. When we opened the door to the room it is hard to tell who was more surprised to find the others there: the housekeepers or us. It was rainy at the time and bitterly cold but we had no option but to sit in the car and wait for the room. We were not notified when it was ready.

The resort is a series of concrete and brick buildings that cool down to the near-zero temperatures and hold the cold in winter. The split system air-conditioner in our room was not up to the task of warming it. Eventually we were provided with fan heaters.

The “two bedroom suite” we had booked was not at all what we expected because a suite usually has a living area plus bedrooms. The Eagle Hawk Resort version is two adjoining rooms; one with a bathroom and one with a kitchen-like area. There is no opportunity for privacy because the bathroom can only be reached through one room and a cup of tea only through the other room.

The “kitchen” is not meant for cooking even though there are cabinets, a bench top and sink, as well as dishes and cutlery. Presumably it is there for a warm up and serve. There is a microwave oven but no cooking utensils, bowls, etc.

To be fair, the rooms were adequately described on the motel web site and our expectations were based on prior experience – thus the warning to other would-be clients who may have similar expectations.

The motel’s web site said that there was a dining table and there is a small table with two chairs. A third chair was available at the desk in the other room. There are no chairs where one could sit and read a book so the only option for relaxing was sitting on the bed.

Internet was available but only at exorbitant rates ($21/day; $7.50/hour if memory serves).

There was no television remote control in the second room so another was brought up. It did not work with the tv, however.

The beds were comfortable. The rooms were clean.

Our rate included breakfast and that is a very good buffet.

The resort acreage is quite pleasant but the resort is not well designed to take advantage of this. For instance, I did not see any outdoor sitting areas attached to rooms and there certainly was none with ours. Our room had no vista to indulge in – just the footpath and the walls of the next building.

If you are planning to book into this motel, it would be a good idea to join Rydges Priority Guest plan that is free and provides benefits such as discounts and late check-out.

Rude staff!...a big let down!

by TripAdvisor Member courtzj

We booked a work conference here for July 2008 and even booking it was a pain!. I should have run for the hills as soon as there were problems but with a short time frame we didnt have a lot of choice!.

Trying to book i felt like i was the one having to chase them!...they didnt seem to be interested in our business what so ever...and it seemed like a hassle that we wanted to hold a conference there.

The hotel itself is quite modern and new...but nothing special by any stretch of the imagination. Rooms are clean and modern...but again they are nothing special. Rooms are spread out around the grounds and are a TOTAL MAZE to find!!!....good luck finding your way back to your room in less than 20 minutes.

On arrival we were told that our conference room wouldnt be ready to set up for another 4 hours even though we were promised access to the room by 6pm. At 11pm we were finally allowed in to set up only to find it dirty and not ready at all!.

The next morning we had booked in for the 'buffet brekki'. Only to find that they hadnt even set up the brekfast room and there was no food. 40 minutes later...still no food...not good enough!.

After our conference we had booked dinner for 40!....but apparently this message was not passed on to the restaurant and we were told they were full!.....

Overall almost all staff were rude....did not want to help what so ever....very very very disorganised...and very unprofessional. Not impressed in the slightest.

Decent Room - Wouldn't Call It a Resort

by TripAdvisor Member northcascades

I wouldn't really call this place a resort. Not sure where they get that. The first impression - slick, Sydney waterfront-style lobby - is a little misleading. The rest of the grounds are more like an average highway motel.

Actually, that's what the Rydges Eagle Hawk is, accommodation right off the Federal Highway leading into Canberra. The rooms are decent but the rest is a bit lackluster. There's a posh looking dining room but considering the rest of the place I didn't want to risk spending a pile of cash on what might have been a disappointment.

The bar/pub lacks any real atmosphere. It's modern and uninteresting. There's a small pool and fenced-off deck on the patio outside. A laundry room is available ($3 each for washer and dryer, $2 if you want a small box of detergent) but the machines looked a bit grungy. I wouldn't trust leaving my clothes unattended, the alternative being to sit in a dingy room waiting for your stuff to dry.

There are quite a few rooms in brick, tin-roof buildings that look like something from the Australian bush. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just a contrast to the city-style lobby and dining room.

The breakfast room - just off the pub - provides a buffet breakfast but I didn't partake. Typical breakfast fare that people were piling onto their plates. Instead, I asked for a latte that took a little while and wasn't hot enough once I received it. The young lady doing the steaming seemed to be learning. Not worth $4.

The staff I came into contact with were friendly and pleasant. Bottom line - middle-of-the-road sort of place just off a highway exit ramp. The website presentation is just a bit misleading. While not untrue, it tends to show the accommodation as fancier than the reality.

Comments