Rydges Lakeside Canberra

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Good value

It may not be the fanciest hotel in Canberra, but with its 'business/group bookings' air, you can certainly do a lot worse in the city and pay a lot more for the experience.

Sited on London Circuit, Rydges Lakeside can feel somewhat marooned among the car parks and freeways near to the ACT state parliament and government buildings, but its a few (albeit slightly complicated) minutes walk from central Canberra and, using a pedestrian bridge, the lake and Commonwealth Park.

All rooms have balconies, with prices higher for a lakeside view than the city view. Rooms are spacious and comfortable although, whilst there has been a recent renovation, some of the furnishings have seen better days.

Unique Quality: Generally a fairly decent hotel - a couple of bars, a rooftop restaurant, breakfast cafe, pool etc and spacious lobby. A little tatty round the edges and the place could do with modernisation. But where the city is short on accommodation (try getting a room anywhere when Parliament is sitting), its not a bad option and there are good rates to be had at weekends (try taking out free Rydges membership before booking online thorugh their own website - you'll receive 15% discount). At $A135 per night (city view), it's good value - that balcony and floor to ceiling windows making a big difference.

(Breakfast at the cafe is not good value - $A17 for continental or $A22 full. Go out the back door and the deli/cafe across the road is much better, with organic food on offer).

It does have to be said though that Rydges website is misleading. The 16 storey building looks 80s or 90s architecturally with its white-painted facade. In reality, its 60s pebble-dashed- and the interior reflects a modernised 60s rather than a more recently built 90s building.

More about Rydges Lakeside Canberra

Cheap motel dressed up as a 4-star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CanberraTravelBug

I stayed for 5 nights in a twin room. While the service was polite and friendly, this is a hotel that has seen better days - decades ago.
I wouldn't have minded the cheap motel quality room if I had paid cheap motel prices. But instead I paid the cheapest rate of $160 a night for a room that defied belief in a so-called 4 star hotel.

The bathroom has not been updated since the building was built, and featured dodgy old mismatched tiles. Water drained onto the floor from the bath when I emptied it. The room was in desperate need of a paint job, with filthy marks on the floors and doors, and a sagging creaking and water stained old airconditioner rattling away. The carpet seemed clean, but was quite worn. There were hooks in the wall where once there must have been pictures, and despite being on a non-smoking floor, the floor stank fo smoke thanks to the noisy guests across the corridor.

The greatest horror was the room service. Exhausted and suffereing from a heavy cold, I ordered some pasta bolognese. It took more than 1 hour to deliver a cold, dry, disgusting dish that was barely edible. It was accompnaied by a berry crumble I'd ordered for dessert that appeared to be a frozen one from a supermarket *microwaved* to heat it up. Both the dinner and the dessert were utterly inedible.

The only tea nad coffee in the room was cheap instant, and there was no milk anyway.

At least the bed was comfortable!

All round, a pretty poor experience. I wouldn't recommend paying to stay here until it is refurbished - you will get the same quality at a motel for about half the price.

Labour day weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Chaneen

I stayed there for 2 nights over the Labour Day long weekend and was not happy with the service I was receiving. The staff at the front desk where not very helpful and would rather talk to each other then to serve guest and on top of that they wanted to charge me for everything!!! This included a place to put my mountain bike which I hired to pedal around the city. It was $12!! That is how much it cost to park my car! A bike doesn't even take up any room. Not happy! I will not come back to this place. Terrible, just terrible!

Disappointed Stay - Just stay a Motel instead!

by TripAdvisor Member sjdtan

What I want to say about this hotel is that if you expect some old fashioned service - forget it, all you will get is robotic response to all your questions, with no compromises whatsoever on their part and any willingness to make your stay a pleasant one.

Alot of the hotels would offer late checkout for free if you asked. We only asked for 1hr extension and we were given a straight faced response of, "if you want it, pay 10bucks" type of response. Even if I could have paid that, I'd rather not! Mind you, this is on a less busier day - Monday, labour day. Vacancy clearly would have free up by then!

Another gripe was we hired a bike and asked whether we could park it somewhere safe within the hotel premises and we were replied with yet another standard response of, 12 bucks please. Thats how much it costs to park a car and given this is Canberra (not Tokyo or Hong Kong), I cannot believe till now that bike parking spaces are not even available - so much for a city that is reknown for cycling. Wouldn't it make sense to encourage tourists to cycle around town? I could go on and make a suggestion to the Canberra Tourism about this hotel.

Thirdly and certainly not the last, the lift were on mainteinance for the whole time we were there and only 2 were operating during that peak hour of labour day long weekend. So alot of time, alot of people are caught just waiting for the lifts. With so much frustrations we saw as we came down from the lifts, I am surprised everyone just quietly put up with it! Unbelievable for a supposedly a well known hotel chain in Australia.

On the positive - only the bed is comfortable.

Oh, by the way, We even found hairs in our cup, by the way .. the list just goes on with the negatives. And for the money you are paying, the decor and furnishing are just not up to it.

To summarise, just go to a motel - you will be more content.

What a shame, it once was a really special place

by TripAdvisor Member Lucyboom

I grew up in Canberra, and the Lakeside, as it was known, was the place to stay before the Hyatt was re-opened, and it was a very special place and the views are tremendous, however, I think the accountants have taken over.

The room was tired looking, the aircon controller was the same as it was 20 years ago! The bathroom had a lot of mildew, an the toilet was cracked. The bathtub was quite worn and dirty looking. The 'phone' beside the bed was a cheap and nasty clockradio type thing that looks like it cost AUD20 from KMart.

The shower is probably one of the biggest disappointments of this place, I think someone has gone in and told them they will save a load of money and look all environmentally cool if they install water-saving showers. The water pressure is pathetic, I have long hair and it took an age to rinse it properly, and it just isn't an enjoyable experience. I think it is fine if people at home want to install these water-saving devices, but for some people hotels are about luxury, and sometimes I like a day-off from saving the planet.

The areas around this hotel are undergoing a lot of development, so there are a lots of builders and dust flying about, I had a hire car, and foolishly thought parking was included, it isn't. It is another AUD12 per day! Even for the outside carpark, which I think is outrageous, given there is nowhere else to park.

This hotel is not cheap and when you factor in the cost of parking it is only about AUD30-50 less than the Hyatt which is five star in everyway.

Sadly I won't stay here again, until Rydges realise what a grand hotel they have and start treating guests with the respect they deserve.

Good central location, very comfy beds

by TripAdvisor Member mattmck

I stayed at Rydges Lakeside for two nights in November 2007 and paid $239AUD for an Queen Suite. My 7th floor room overlooked the lake, and had an extra bedroom and bathroom. The second bedroom had only a sofa which I assume folded out into another bed.

Once again, even though I paid a decent room rate, I was advised at checkin that I would not accrue any frequent flyer points for my stay. Very disappointing.

The location of the hotel is very good, only a short walk into the city center where there are numerous shops and restaurants. Although there is some building happening across the road, the location is very quiet.

The main bedroom was ok. I found the bed exceptionally comfortable - Probably one of the best I have every slept in. The TV had various cable channels including Discovery. The bathroom was reasonable clean, and had good quality amenities.

The second bedroom had some large cracks in the wall, and the second bathroom had some tiles missing. I would suggest that they were probably due for refurbishment.

Overall, the hotel is about the same quality as the other nearby Rydges hotel - Rydges Capital Hill.

I would probably stay here again due to the location and very comfortable bed.

Very Poor

by TripAdvisor Member zylax

After reading bad wright up's on the web, we decided to ask rydges themselves. We were told via the rydges reservation center that the hotel had been fully renovated & we were also told by the lakeside reception that 80% of the hotel had been renovated. It wasn't until we booked that we were told the only renovated part was the bed and a table n chair. The room itself had marks over the walls, The paint on the cupboard door had worn off. We complained about mould and soap scum in the bath, we were told by reception that house keeping would return to rectify, but this never happened.The bath spout has an inch of white silastic around it, and was also mouldy. The high light was the out of date food and drink for sale on the snack bar. There was a dried fruit packet with an expiry date of 27/9/07 and a bottle of orange in the fridge that also expired in 9/07. The breakfast at bobby mcgee's was also very poor, we had the buffet breakfast , refilling the food trays was very slow, and most of it was cold. We have stayed at various rydges hotels, the lakeside would have had to be the worst I have ever experienced. It cost us $274 for the overnight package.

Horrible experience, I Do Not Advise Staying Here!

by TripAdvisor Member travelalot15

Where do I begin- I wish I would have looked at Trip Advisor BEFORE allowing myself to be booked at this hotel. I arrived and based on the lobby and the fact that it is a Rydges I expected a comfortable stay. Boy was I wrong! When I arrived in my room I was greatly disappointed- not a major issue, but I had ordered a double room and actually had 2 single beds, when I called to request a different room they rudely said that this is what I had booked. I looked at my reservation material and confirmed that I was right. They argued and said they could not move me. After I looked around the room I could not believe that there was paint missing, mold in the bathroom, hair in the bathtub and a dirty toilet seat. The chair in the room had rips and their were black finger prints on the wall. The shower curtain looked like it had been hanging on a clothes line in a wind and hailstorm. I did not feel comfortable and called demanding another room. I moved from 4th floor to 10th floor and aside from having a double bed the room was in worse condition- in the bathroom one of the vents under the tub was cracked open and you could see plaster falling on the floor. Their was a grey pubic hair on the table top and dust all over the tables and TV. It looked like no one had been in it for weeks. Also the molding/seal around the deck door was 1/2 way falling off and the bedspread was stained. I was so shocked and frustrated that I cried. I called again and said that this room was not sufficient for my $200 rate. After much arguing with the Desk manager she offered that she would book me into another hotel I was here because of the conference and had several meetings set up so I was not keen on the additional inconvenience of moving. She eventually said she would see what she could do. While I was waiting I googled the hotel and got the Trip Advisor ratings- ALL OF THE COMMENTS regarding how poor and run down things are here are true. It is appalling. This should not be allowed to call itself a Rydges. I will be checking out early. Very disappointing and exhausting. My ADVICE IS TO STAY AWAY!!! Take the recommendation to go to another hotel, that is what I am doing.

What about the Bed Linen??

by TripAdvisor Member CorpTravSydney

Stayed here on an overnight from Melbourne to Sydney. Booked online on Rydges website.
Typical Rydges - OLD & TIRED. I booked a Queen suite as needed an extra bed for my son. What I got was a sofa - no mention of that when I booked. Best of all when my son went to go to bed there was no bed linen for the sofa. Could not be bothered calling housekeeping as the phone goes to message bank so what's the point? Who at the hotel is supposed to check the Linen??. Ordered room service and the food was cold!!!
$209 for the room and NO LINEN. I can get a room at the Hilton Sydney for that price. THIS HOTEL IS OVERPRICED for what you get. Reception did not bother to ask how my stay was. Tear it down and build a park.

Small, old and expensive

by TripAdvisor Member Zigletta

I stayed at Rydges for 3 nights while attending an onsite conference. I paid $165 per night for conference rate which was significantly cheaper than what was advertised on wotif etc. However, the twin room was tiny and old - the bed was very small, the bathroom was ancient (it appeared dirty as it was so old), the door handle to the balcony was broken so we couldn't go outside. I thought for $165, it was below standards. The only nice part about the stay was the full buffett breakfast in the mornings.

Budget accomodation next to Rydges Lakeside Canberra

by prata111

Hi!
We are going for a convention held at Rydges Lakeside Canberra at London Circuit

Instead of staying at this hotel, we appreciate if you could recommend a few other budget hotels next to Rydges Lakeside.

Thanks!
Rydges Lakeside is at
London Circuit
Canberra City
ACT 2600

RE: Budget accomodation next to Rydges Lakeside Canberra

by oisha

Hi Prata & congrats on scoring Canberra as a convention destination! Rydges Lakeside is sort of on it's own on that side of the city centre. The nearest accom I can think of would be the Waldorf, the Novotel or the Quest Suites, none of which is budget. Across the road from the Waldorf is the Youth Hostel which has double rooms very cheap. It would be just over 5 minutes walking to Rydges. There is one other hostel-type place in the city called City Walk Hostel - about a 10 minute walk from Rydges. If your convention is during winter break, you might get student accom at the Australian National University - a very pleasant 10-15 minute walk through campus to Rydges. Student accom is almost exclusively single rooms. Have a great stay!

RE: RE: Budget accomodation next to Rydges Lakeside Canberra

by prata111

Thanks so much for that! I was totally lost before seeing your reply.
Do u happen to know how quiet the walk will be from City walk hostel to Rydges?
Coz I am a lady and the convention may end late into the evening at 10pm.

Unless there is cab or buses that runs from rydges down to City Walk Hostel..
otherwise I would have to walk alone.

Thanks!

RE: RE: Budget accomodation next to Rydges Lakeside Canberra

by oisha

Hi again. Sorry, I got the name slightly wrong. It's City Walk Hotel.

Well, Canberra is a safe place, but the area around Rydges is just too quiet. I wouldn't walk after 7pm just because no one else will be about. You might however find that other people at the conference will be walking that way to their hotels, because Quest Suites and Novotel and all the hotels on Northbourne Ave are in the same direction. Two people walking together will be very safe. Once you reach Quest Suites (2 blocks from your hotel) or Novotel (1 block from your hotel) there will be lots of people around even at 10pm.

The bus stop near Rydges is too lonely and night buses too infrequent. But you can take a taxi, no problem. The walk would be just over 10 minutes.

Comments