Alice Lodge Backpackers

4 Mueller Street, Alice Springs, 0870, Australia

Alice Lodge Backpackers
Hostelworld.com eDreams Booking.com

• Alice Springs is No.1 for me

Alice Lodge is great, Loved it from the moment I arrived until I had to sadly say goodbye, staff are friendly and booked several tours for me and gave me good discounts. Beds were really comfortable, free internet and breakfast shouldn't be missed.

If you heading to Alice Springs, Alice Lodge is the pplace to be, if you can get a bed, I got the last bed when I arrived with no booking.

Unique Quality: Relaxed atmosphere.
    Friendly staff
    Free internet
    Free Breakfast
    Easy to book tours.
    Close to town

Directions: Near town centre

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Quiet, Clean, Calm

After staying at Toddy's for my previous trip to the Red Centre and not managing to get any sleep at all (passing out from drinking does not count in my book) Alice Lodge Backpackers was a pleasant change.

It's calm, clean, and quiet. There is of course the fully stocked kitchen, free internet, free movies and a free pool. The bedding and sheeting is all high quality and gets you a good night's rest.

The dorm rooms have keyed lockers in them and the area is as safe as safe can be. The hostel entrance locks at night but can be opened by a code written on your room key.

Unique Quality: Three main things stood out here:

1) The movie room is run on VHS tapes. I've never seen anything like it in 10+ years and the younger people on this website wouldn't even know what a VHS tape is. They also have a DVD player and a couple of desktop computers with free internet however, so the young still have ways to amuse themselves. I only watched one tape out of nostalgia but it was in good working order.

2) The bigger, more private rooms out the back of the hostel are actually standalone caravans. It makes for an interesting design ethic and I'd love to have stayed in one of those simply for novelty value.

3) The pool water is remarkably cold. It's a big relief on those 40+ days.

Directions: Toddy's courtesy bus at the airport will drop you off here if you ask nicely and don't mind waiting.
    A taxi from town costs about AUD$7
    If it's daytime I recommend walking - there are signs pointing you towards the city center.

More about Alice Springs

View over Alice Springs, looking south fromView over Alice Springs, looking south from

Lou and RussellLou and Russell

The RoofThe Roof

How would you like to be on a sidecar?How would you like to be on a sidecar?

Flies in April

by ggquincy

Ive heard that the flies are bad in April. Are they really that bad and how's the weather then?
Cheers

by traveltime08

I was there in October. I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it for my self. They swarm your eyes and nose, searching for moisture. I didn't care how dorky it looked, I bought a hat with a net covering because I coudn't breathe without inhaling flies otherwise. As I stood behind my friend as he unlocked the motel door, there must have been 70-80 flies on his back- Trying to eat outside was futile unless you just ignored them- As we got off the airplane in Alice Springs ( which I loved, by the way) the airport has an outside sort of greeting area- and we saw lots of people we thought who were waving- turns out it was the "Australian Salute" which is a sort of lazy wave in front of your face to keep the flies away. Locals get used to them, I guess.

Don't know about April- but I am so glad I bought that hat! (readily available in the area) Don't let the flies keep you away- there is so much to see and do in that area.

by ricky52

Trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local on the day variations.
This information should be used as a guide only.
Here is the average weather for Alice Springs for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

April
High 82f / 28c
Low 54f / 12c
Rain 0.67ins / 16.9mm
Sun % 39

by Kakapo2

In this region they are always around. They only die in the cold south.

Here is a great website about the bush flies:

Travel Tips for Alice Springs

Palm Valley - and much more! part two

by iandsmith

All this was behind us when we hit the dirt. The road is listed as 4WD and it’s almost beyond that in places. While going across one particular ford he relates how another company were doing their first run after the recent floods (they’ve had three this year) and the bus went head first off to the right and was stuck face down. The following bus, being more sensible, went around the left but struck the same fate. Both had to be retrieved.
Palm Valley is unique inasmuch as the red cabbage palms that are there can be found nowhere else in the world. There are around 3,000 plants only. Also featured here are cycads, remnants of an ancient past, but I had already seen quite a few of them at Inarlanga.
On the road in we were mostly doing less than 5 kph and I was dying to stop and get some pics but said nothing until Ann, Ken’s wife, piped up. Naturally enough she had my full support so from then on we hassled poor Ben constantly. However, I was singled out for a warning before the walk that the group was to stick together.
One poor man in our group could hardly see but insisted on doing the half hour walk along the creek bed and up the ridge. Our concern that he shouldn’t be doing it was ill founded as he trundled along 10 minutes later.
Our small group of 7 was diverse. The guy with the poor sight owned 7 horses, another chap’s body had shut down and he was on medication to alleviate the problem and Ken had had a heart attack years ago. What would life bring me I couldn’t help but think.
We then proceeded to Hermannsburg (pic 2), an old Lutheran mission for the blacks that is now an historical tourist attraction. It’s here where Albert Namitjira could be found on occasions though he always maintained his nomadic lifestyle.
There’s a gallery here with art from all the relatives. It’s a sad affair with hardly any of the lights working. Made me wonder why they bother as none are for sale. On the way back our driver put a CD on. It was a Rotary Club talk by a guy called Len Beadell. Here was a man who had been privy to some of Australia’s biggest secrets and had led an unbelievable life in the outback. That would have made it interesting but he had a dry sense of humour that cracked the whole bus up. We were literally crying, funniest things since Monty Python. It’s available at ABC shops. Try it, you’ll like it.

Water, water and water .......

by vtveen

light clothing
hat or at least a cap
you really need a fly-net
proper shoe wear/walking shoes fly/insect repellent
lip balm
sun tan 30+
sun glasses spare memory on your digital camera or plenty of films
tripod for a sunset pic of Uluru Never forget to buy water when leaving your accommodation for a (road) trip through the desert. During the trip from Alice Springs to Uluru it is possible to get water in Alice Springs, Glen Helen, Kings Canyon, Kings Creek, Curtin Springs and Uluru.

It is also possible to get petrol for your car in these places.

Backpacker's Trips to Uluru/Watarrka

by grkboiler

If you are backpacking through Australia, the best value and best way to see Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Watarrka National Parks is through Mulga's Adventures. They offer a 3-day tour that also visits the Olgas and King's Canyon, called the Ayers Rock Experience. It costs about $250 - $300 AU and is well worth it! The drivers are great, and you make plenty of friends, in addition to seeing some of the best sights in Australia. If Drasko is still a driver there, try to get on one of his trips.

The trips start at Annie's Place in Alice Springs, which is also a great hostel to stay at, with cheap food, a great staff, and air conditioned rooms.

Old Ghan Tour and to Buy a Train Cap

by wise23girl

Learn about the history of the Old Ghan when you visit the Old Ghan Museum and Heritage Railway.
We enjoyed a trip on the heritage rail in the Year 2000 after completing our tag along tour from Quorn which travelled the route of the Old Ghan.

This is when we bought our Old Ghan train caps which we renew every 2-3 years and wear everywhere. These caps suit us both and are a great help for 'meeting people' .
You can still buy them ...2010....Look at almost any collection of our photos and we will be wearing the caps in some of them.

For your cap write to : PO Box 8099 Alice Springs 0871 AUSTRALIA

About $20 now plus postage. Denim or black.

As far as I know you can still take the heritage rail trip in part of The Old Ghan.

The Alice Springs Wildlife Park

by ChadSteve1975

Set along the edge of the range just ouside of Alice Springs the park has many displays to entertain and educate the average tourist.

The bird show is the most imporant feature and one not to be missed. In this show visitors get a up close glimpse at some of the predator birds of the area.

Eagles and Falcon's are fantastic to see.

Comments