Alice Springs Plaza Hotel

94 Todd Street, Alice Springs, Red Centre, 00870, Australia

• didgeridorien's Profile Photo

Party hostel

I stayed in the backpackers hostel of Melanka. It's got everything you need for a party. The rooms are somewhat small, but you share them with only 2 or 3 other people.

Unique Quality: There's a pool, a bar, tv with movies, bbq, volleyball court, restaurant and internet.

• Xemx's Profile Photo

Melanka Never Again!

I was only in Alice Springs for a couple of nights. I usually choose 3-star accomodation but this time I wanted to be a little adventurous so I booked a single room in the Melanka Backpackers. I had heard that hostels were cheap and clean places to stay so I wasn't too worried about it until I got to this place.

To get to my room I had to pass a courtyard which needed a good clean (there were empty beer cans and even a pair of knickers :-). The sheets and pillows looked dirty so I asked the receptionist to change them and she pulled out some 'clean' ones which looked just a bad. The airconditioning was noisy and there was no way I was going to use the showers in the hostel...water everywhere on the floor...a nightmare. It was the first time in my entire solo travelling life that I used a personal alarm attached to my bed during the night. If it wasn't so late I would've been out of there in a couple of minutes and got myself into a five star hotel!

Another thing which made me feel unsettled was the very poor security. To go on a tour I had to leave my suitcase behind and it was placed in their luggage room which is locked but the key is available to anyone...people can just walk in and take what they want!

I hope they've brushed up their accomodation since my visit. The Melanka is more suitable for young backpackers looking for cheap stay in a dormitory and lively place during the night.

Unique Quality: The only good thing about the place is the friendly bar staff.

Directions: Bus from Alice Springs Airport will take you straight to it.

Comments