Traeger Avenue, Alice Springs, Red Centre, Australia

Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

• Best Hostel in Australia!!

Such an awesome place to stay! The staff were so friendly and helpful, they were able to help me with booking my trip to Uluru!! I went with Mulgas Adventures, Jason was such an amazing tour guide, he really went out of his way to make our trip special. And there was free wifi!!!!

Unique Quality: Free Wifi was awesome, it actually worked!! All of the rooms are decorated really funky and the bar was so much fun. We played Bingo and Trivia.

Directions: Just five minute walk from the center of town

• Loved Annies and the Mulgas tour!

I had such a great time at Annies.. I didn't want to leave! I felt so at home and the staff were like close friends. I also went on the Mulgas tour to Uluru and it was amazing! Jase is the best tour guide :) If you want to party this is a great place for you. If you don't like that then probably don't stay here or maybe stay earlier in the week. Will definitely come back again!

Unique Quality: Interestingly decorated with cool artwork!

• Disgraceful

Dont come to annies! Do yourself a favour and look for something else, even if it means paying some extra dollars. Annies is extremly noisy all day long, specially at evenning\night with music blasting on a daily basis untill 01.00am. The staff is nowhere to be seen after the bar is closed so drunk people sleeping there, who decide to keep on going with the party when music is shut, can be really annoying... specially around the pool. In the rooms facing the street the situation isnt much better, as people leaving the bar also keep on being loud for quite long time after being kicked out. I have seen 2 fights going on in a week... The location could be better; annies is located at the outskirts of alice.. so expect @ least 15-20min to the center of the town... it maybe dont seem that long but the streets become really dodgy during night time and the sun is a killer during the day... But, BY FAAAAR, the woorst thing of this place are the bed bugs. Ive been sleeping all over asia, including some creepy rooms in India, China, Thailand.. and never seen anything like it. The 1st day I thought it was an alergic reaction to the mattress,, but by day two I fully realized it was something else.. my arms and back were with @ least 50-60 bites... bed bug bites are very disgusting as they take long to disapear and are extremly itchy... it just dont seem real how a place in australia can be so innfested with this ***ing creatures... Be wise, DO NOT COME TO THIS PLACE

• BEDBUGS packerpacker

if u want sleeping with lots of bedbugs together, please come! all the rooms have bedbugs everywhere, we stayed here for one week and change our room 3 times bcoz of this, we can sleeping at all bcoz too much bite from the bug!
    we complaint to the staff and then she just said bedbugs is everywhere in australia that not a big deal, that make me crazy!
    the hostel also cheating as they mention that free internet, no!no one can use free internet here unless u pay for it, when i ask her for password for the wireless, she just said she don't know about computer, it really really bull ***!
    the staff here is not polite and they don't care about u, i absolutely cannot feel they are friendly and helpful, DON"T COME IF U DON"T WANT DISSAPOINTED!

• Bed Bug Capital of the World

I have traveled extensively around the world and stayed in many different hostels and backpackers, but Annie place is the BED BUG Capital of the world .... no joke.

• Worst Business EVER

Annie's Place is rude and unprofessional. Mulga, the owner, is a complete con artist and has no emergency plans, and the staff could care less about your visit and helping you.

This MULGAs tour company is a complete scam and extremely unprofessional. They don't deserve your business!!

I went on holiday with a friend and had 4 days to spend at the rock and Alice Springs. We chose Mulga's obviously because it was the cheapest, unfortunately it was the WORST!

When we arrived on our bus, the tour guide was young and cool so we thought it would be great. After only two hours of sleep and 6 Red Bulls (and admitting this to us) she switched our route to see Uluru first and then Kings Canyon on our last day, because she was too tired to drive to the longest point first. No big deal- we were ok with it.

We went to Uluru and everything was cool. We stayed out in swags which was fine although we found out later that they never wash them and are known in Alice Springs to have reports of bed bugs.

The next morning was fine- we went to the Olgas and it was a nice guided walk. That evening was the disaster.

After dinner around 9pm our tour guide had fallen really ill, vomiting all night. Later, 4 others had fallen ill as well. At 4am our tour guide announces to only those who were awake that we were to skip Kings Canyon and head back to Alice Springs. Rather, she couldn't call the tour company because they apparently wouldn't "give a f***" that early in the morning. We think it was food poisoning, but regardless this should have been a concern of the company. These people were VIOLENTLY ILL!

So instead of seeing sunrise and heading to the alleged best part of the trip, we spent hours driving and then stopping so those who were sick could puke (including our tour guide- driving 23 passengers on no sleep and sick..real safe!). Eventually around 8am our tour guide called the company and they sent some relief drivers out... only 6 hours later.

We spend over 2 1/2 hours out at a gas station in the middle of no-where. When the relief driver picked us up he was incredibly rude.

When we got back to Annies Place we, including the sick ones, demanded a third of our money back or some type of compensation for not being able to see Kings Canyon (our tour guide said it was illegal to hike the Valley of Eden walk without a guide, and because she was too sick we couldn't go- which is a complete lie!!). We met Mulga himself who was incredibly rude saying things like "I will not apologize, you will not get anything (not even a room compensation). I got sick last week, big deal".

I have never experienced a worse tour company. They have no emergency back-up procedures, and the tour guide could care less about our experience. My friend and I thought about taking a camper ourselves, but thought we ought to go with an experienced tour company in case something went wrong- big mistake!!! We would have handled that better on our own!!!

Don't take this tour. If you're deciding between companies take The Rocks tour or take your own camper. Mulga is apparently the wealthiest man in Alice Springs, and gets away with dodgy business. This isn't the first time they've had bad reports on them.

DON'T DO IT and save yourself from ruining your holiday!!!

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALICE SPRINGS BACKPACKERS

When I arrived in Alice Springs was by the Ghan train from Adelaide and I had previously booked a spot at Annies place...they picked me up (and dropped me off) at the railway station..although it was incredibly busy when arriving I had a single room which was clean and large..the cost was average,,and from here it was where I booked my camping trip to Uluru and Kings Canyon National Parks..(see to do tips) Security was very good..
    I found although very busy the girls were all very polite..I would stay here again..also there was a large storage room to leave the majority of my stuff when away on the camping trip...

Unique Quality: There is a pool..that was reasonably clean..also a grassed area to lay out in the sun..
    The place is incredibly busy at reception with people coming and going and bookings being made for their many National park camping trips that they run from here..
    They seemed to close the kitchen really early..very strict there..
    Ammenities were very clean..The room security and storage facility security was excellent..

• moirholj's Profile Photo

A really great hostel

I should start off by saying that Annie's Place in Alice Springs is the first hostel I've ever stayed at in my traveling career. Travelers more seasoned than I should take my review with a grain of salt I suppose, but I loved Annie's Place and would recommend it to any friend!

I stayed at Annie's for two nights: one before we left for our Outback Camping Tour (we used Mulga's tours, the trip that Annie's Place runs) and then again the night we returned from the tour. I stayed in a private double room with shared bathroom and then in a private double room with a private bathroom. I found both arrangements to be satisfactory. Rooms were clean (sheets a little dingy, but clean none-the-less) and shared bathroom was very clean. Laundry facilities on the property were great to have and I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

There was a pool and the usual shared kitchen, although I didn't use either of them.

If it says anything about Annie's Place, I remember a fellow traveler telling me that her friend had opted to stay at another hostel not too far away and hated it so much that the next night she came to Annie's. Alice Springs is not a large place, so people changing to Annie's Place after other unsatisfactory experiences kind of narrows it down a bit.

*Note on Finances* Although this isn't the only place that we encountered this issue, if you are an American Traveler and want to pay for your bill by charging your credit card in American Dollars, you must specifically ask for this at Annie's Place. At the time that we traveled we could save money by asking to pay in American Dollars rather that charging in Australia Dollars and then have the exchange rate and fees apply.

Unique Quality: I found Annie's Place to be great for many reasons, not least of which was the 'restaurant' and bar that they have right on the property. I'm here to tell you that everything you've read about their $5 meals is true. While there are more expensive items on the menu there is are at least one or more $5 options. The food tastes great and they don't skimp on the portions. Even if you decide to stay somewhere else, I recommend you at least eat at Annie's. You will find many like-minded travelers from all over the world to talk to and enjoy a beer with as you kick back and share travel stories.

I celebrated my 29th birthday with new found friends from around the world (Ireland, Israel, Australia, Canada, England, Norway, Korea, China, Germany!) in the Annie's Place bar. It was really special and will always be a fond memory for me!

Directions: If you are staying at Annie's Place they will send a van to pick you up so don't worry about getting there. When pulling up, the outside of the place isn't really anything to get excited about, but once you get inside I bet you will love it!

• miserable staff

i did'nt actually stay at annie's, although i got nothing but good reports about it. i ate there a couple of times and the food was really good value. however, i was thrown out of there one night by some barman for no reason whatsoever - i'd only had 2 drinks and was sitting quietly on a bench in the garden area. the barman refused to give me any explanation and said if i did'nt move on he would call the police. when my girlfriend complained (politely) she was also told to get out.

• jasmine_ding's Profile Photo

My fondest hostel

I stayed in Annie's Place because I chose Mulgas' Adventure. The tour was great, the hostel was nice. I could write down my travel notes under the tree while naughty guys jumpped into the swimming pool, that's ok, the yard was big enough.
    I had my greatest memory from Mulgas' Adventure, met the best friends from here.

• Annie's Place

I had a great time here. I stayed here before and after a tour with Mulga's Adventures and it was well worth it.

Unique Quality: You can get a double room for AU$55 or a dorm room which sleeps 6 for $15. Each room has a bathroom, TV, A/C and heat, rooms are very clean and, security is good. Doubles have a fridge.

You can't beat the cheapest meals in town for $5. There is a kitchen and laundry facilities. The staff is great and go out of their way to make sure you enjoy yourself. There is also a swimming pool.

• Angbur's Profile Photo

A Really Friendly Hostel

This is a really cool hostel, all the rooms are Air Conditioned and sleep no more than 8 people. They are all en-suite and have TV's in them.
    The rooms surround a swimming pool and it makes a fantastic little court area. It's great for sitting by the pool or having a swim or doing absolutely nothing other than meeting like-minded travellers.
    The staff are really friendly and make an effort to try and remember everybody's names (which makes a nice change from most hostels). You can get help to arrange almost anything from taxis to and from the airport/railway station, to trips to the rock. They also organise tours to the Desert Springs garden and tours of Alice itself, which was great fun.
    The kitchen facilities aren't great, but that doesn't matter because, in the bar adjoining the hostel you can get evening meals for AU$5 - an absolute bargain even for Australia where eating out is pretty cheap anyway, and the food is bloody good too.

Comments