74 Barrett Dr, PO Box 3196, Alice Springs, Red Centre, 0871, Australia

Desert Palms Resort
Expedia.com Agoda.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Not worth the phone call

Well I stayed two nights in this "resort" and from the minute I arrived, I wanted to leave.
    A young lady in reception was the rudest person I have ever met. My company had advised prior to me attending that I was going to be in early and that I would pay extra for a room (it was even on the booking slip in the office!). The advertised price was $89, I was charged $121.50 per night!!!! Then when I got there, I was THROWN a map and told that I could not get into a room until after 2pm and just walk to town.
    Due to the fact I could not get changed and did not feel like walking to town in Jeans and a shirt, I decided to sit in the shade beside the pool. Well if you do this, please do not go to reception and buy a drink. As there is no such thing as service with a smile.

Then when finally allocated a room (at 1.30pm after advising Damian that I had been waiting since 9.30am), I proceeded to a room that stank of stale smoke. Checked the TV and oh look no reception. The sinks stank of rotting food, sheets had stains on them and the carpet was disgusting. Tie that in with broken and unsafe lamps and this was just "great"!
    When walking anyway in the grounds, watch out for the young dark haired "man" as the way he drives the company ute and golf buggy with speed it would beat Mark Webber.
    I left my room from 8am and returned at 3.30 only to find that someone had been in there! It must have been housekeeping as the bed was made BUT nothing else was done.

All in all, I was hoping this would be a great place to come back to as I will be working more and more in Alice Springs, but I will not be coming back here ever again.

The only good thing about this experience was chatting with Damian and the singing and dancing young lady I met at reception when leaving on Saturday

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Good value for money

A nice place to stay. Excelent pool facilities.

Unfortunatly there is no restaurant facilities on the property, but the units are self catering.

Its only 15 minutes to walk to the town centre.

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Desert Palms Resort

The resort is located a few kilometres outside the centre of Alice Springs. It takes 20-30 minutes to walk to the centre of town - on a hot and dusty road.

You stay in an air-conditioned villa accommodation with your own private veranda. There are many birds in the area, and it was very peaceful just to sit and watch them from the veranda.

The bed was a little to soft, but a nice and clean villa.

There is a casino (Lasseters Casino) next to the resort

• 850prc's Profile Photo

A few more words about the Desert Palms Resort

I wanted to add a few more words about the Desert Palms resort. While there are certainly a few hotels more closely situated to the Todd Mall in the center of Alice, none appear to offer the same great comfort at a great value as the Desert Palms. You can easily walk to downtown Alice from the DP, it's not more than 2 km or so.

And again, Australians were very very friendly all over the country. But, I don't think I've found too many places where the staff, top to bottom, was any happier that you'd chosen their establishment.

You WILL feel welcome. Very much so.

Directions: Coming in from the airport, turn right at South Terrace and then turn right across the river bed at Stephens. Then, a quick left turn onto Barrett Drive. The Desert Palms is about 1 km up Barrett, on the right.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

A friendly and accomodating oasis in Alice Springs

The Desert Palms resort is comfortable, accomodating and well-placed in Alice Springs. Seeing as we planned to spend most of our time in Alice OUTSIDE of our hotel room, we were simply looking for reasonable accommodation. The Desert Palms is that, and so much more...

This is one of those places where every party has their own individual little "chalet" or "cabin". They're funky little a-frame looking places that are surprisingly large and comfortable on the inside. They have pitched-pine ceilings and very, shall we say different, color schemes inside. Each chalet has a nice deck as well.

And, one other great feature of the Desert Palms is its connection with many of the tour operators in the area. Almost any activity that you'll be participating in will feature a pickup at the Desert Palms.

Last and certainly not least, we have the management. FRIENDLY. HELPFUL. They'll do just about anything to help you have a wonderful stay. One night, we were VERY late (14 hours, to be exact) in returning from Ayers Rock (Uluru). We had the folks at Ayers phone ahead to warn the Desert Palms that we'd be late getting in, well after the desk closed. When we arrived, there was a note instructing us to go to particular chalet. And as I'd mentioned we had a hot air balloon trip scheduled for the next day, they also had taken the liberty of scheduling a wakeup call for us. : )

Unique Quality: Comfortable rooms, each with two double beds.

Reverse control A/C and heat. (And in the winter, you NEED the heat)

Laundry facilities, including dryers AND clotheslines. Clothes dry very fast in the desert. :)

A small convenience/grocery shop attached to the desk, where you can buy all sorts of prepared meals for microwaving, if you get a late munch attack.

Lots of nice hot water in the bathrooms. And, a shower head that gives you a LOT of water. I hate wimpy showers.....I always end up getting soap in my eyes. : (

A very nice pool, which was being cleaned during our visit. No matter, it was a bit cold outside.

They also have a 1/2 sized tennis court. Not sure about playing on a 1/2 size court for tennis. Nothing like a killer serve getting to you twice as fast. But if the wind ever dies down, you could play the world's biggest ping pong tournament.

And, if you're into gambling, it's only about 700 meters down Barrett Road to the Casino!

Directions: Coming into town from the airport, turn right on south Terrace, and then go right across the river bed at Stephens. The first left is Barrett. The Desert Palms is about 1 km up the road, on the right.

Comments