Mount Nancy Motel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Alice Springs

Our tour busOur tour bus

Betska likes himBetska likes him

Where will I catch them kissing next?Where will I catch them kissing next?

Controversial rockControversial rock

Campervan Rental

by oliver99701

I am arriving in Alice Springs on Saturday May 30th at 3:20pm and leaving on June 3rd at 5:20pm. I will be traveling with my 3 children (16, 14, 5) and think a campervan would be the most economical way to go. But since I arrive so late I am finding a lot of the rental offices will be closed and if I don't pick it up on the 30th then I would only be renting it for 4 days not a minimum of 5 days.

I would also like to drive to King's Canyon. It seems that I would need a 4x4 if I took the unsealed road but is there a sealed road that I would be allowed to drive on without a 4x4?

My departure date is rapidly approaching any help would be greatly appreciated!!

by Kakapo2

I see what your problem is. Obviously they want you to pick up a campervan no later than 3.30pm and not, like normal cars, before 5pm. I think this is because they have to give you an introduction into the features of the van. Which, of course, does not take 1.5 hours...

The only advice I can give is to contact the companies immediately and ask them if it would be ok to pick up the van at 4pm or whenever you/they think you can be at their office after your 3.20pm arrival. As it is the low season, I can imagine they would agree.

It is right that you should drive the direct route to Ernest Giles Road (324 km from Alice Springs) by 4WD vehicles only, and most rental companies only allow it in 4WD's.

The alternative route is much longer (469 km) but you could do it in a day. You would drive via Stuart and Lasseter Highway, and then via Luritja Highway to Ernest Giles Road. Luritja Highway is sealed.

I agree that a campervan would be the most economical way for doing this trip. And somehow it is the most suitable way in this desert landscape.

by oliver99701

Haven't been able to solve the problem so I will have to rent it for 5 days but only use 4 days and pay the extra for a hotel for the night on top of the taxi/shuttle to the hotel then to the depot to pick up the campervan.

by Kakapo2

Do they not at least have a hotel pick-up service? Looks like bad attitude...

by oliver99701

No hotel pick-up service.

by TeeDeeNT

Hi,

A campervan is a good idea but just keep in mind that most campervan rental's will have quite a high security bond that they freeze on your credit card.

You can access Kings Canyon by driving down the Stuart Highway then turning on the Lasseter Highway and then the Luritja Road.

campervan rentals usually go from 0730 - 1530 as you are arriving late you
may need to think about extending for an extra day.

I hope this helps

Travel Tips for Alice Springs

Palm Valley - and much more!

by iandsmith

After finding out the previous day that Mount Zeil (1,532 metres) was the highest thing west of the Great Divide and being told that the ghost gum actually exudes a white zinc powder for sun protection, I suppose I should have expected more from the veritable font of information I was coming across in Alice Springs.
However, learning that two nuns had died climbing the famed Elephant’s Hide in the Grampians wasn’t something I expected. Apparently four had been going up Indian file and the third one slipped and took the fourth with her all the way to the bottom.
As humans are wont to do, a couple I’d been talking to and myself had slipped into a conversation about disasters. Ken then told how a group of snap-happy Japanese (are there any other kind?) had alighted from their vehicle on an African safari so they could get their picture taken with, can you believe it, lions! This foray ended in predictable disaster with three tourists dead. He then went on to relate how a French couple and their child were staying in a tent style resort and a leopard came at night and despatched the child.
While we were on the tar I got into reading a book I’d borrowed at the office of the tour I was on. I’d taken some pictures of Benstead Creek and here I found it was named after a young man of 22 who’d ridden all the way from Adelaide to manage Undoolya Station in 1877. 12 years later he bought two blocks of land and built the first pub in the Alice called Stuart Arms. He also found gold and got the first crusher to the field at Artlunga.
Apparently he was very popular and Trephina Gorge is named after his wife. Meanwhile our driver Ben was on the mike telling us there were an estimated 1,000,000 wild camels (pic 5) out there and that horses were a problem as well. He must have known, about two minutes later there was one on the side of the road. He got talking about large properties and said that when Victoria River Downs, known as VRD here, got their first chopper, they found 22,000 EXTRA cattle on their vast holding.

NOTE: Most of the pictures are panoramas so you need to click on to see the full picture

aboriginals

by hmmmmh

obviously there are loads of cultural differences between aboriginals and everyone else so i wont even try to start listing them - but you may be suprised by the reaction you will get when trying to ingage in conversation with some aboriginal people. don't mistake long pauses before answers and lack of eye contact as rudeness - its just the way they are.

Standley Chasm (West MacDonnell NP)

by bluesmama

From Simpsons Gap it is another 30km to Standley Chasm (Angkerle). It is named after Ida Standley who was the first school teacher in Alice Springs (1914). She was the first not aboriginal woman who visited the chasm.
The narrow chasm has been created by an arm of the Finke River cutting through the sandstone. The walls of the chasm are up to 80m high and the chasm is very narrow. The widest place is 9m across.
The best place to come (which we unfortunately didn't) is around noon when the sun reaches the bottom of the chasm and the cliffs are lit up and glows red in the sun.
We saw lots of rock wallabies here!

Royal Flying Doctors Service

by kooka3

The Royal Flying Doctor's Service is regarded as a an Aussie Icon. It's nationally (and some will say internationally) famous, in part because it's the first kind of its kind of service in the world. They serve a lot of people throughout the outback who otherwise would have limited or no access to medicial services.

They now services an area of more than 7,150,000 square kilometres - an area bigger than Western Europe! - and maintains 23 bases throughout the country and has 36 aircraft.

The headquarters is in Alice Springs, so you might want to check out the building. It has a museum to show and explain what they do, which is pretty cool. There's an AV presentation followed by a guided tour of the radio communication section.

Pioneer Women Museum

by Myndo

A Museum dedicated only to women pioneers? A must see for the both of travellers, just exploring Australia ... also a good thing to do in the time we had to wait for our tour to start.

The Museum has pictures and descriptions of many woman that were pioneers, meaning not only in discovering a country, but also in the field they worked. Doctors, Scientists, Settlers, Pilots, Firefighters ...

Interesting for those who like to read the life stories of others, fighters for womens rights and for equality. Most of them did they fights quiet. So don´t be surprised to hear names you did not know of before.

Comments