Wintersun Caravan Park

North Stuart Highway, Alice Springs, 0870, Australia

More about Alice Springs

Perenti on a rockPerenti on a rock

Gathering pre Meet & GreetGathering pre Meet & Greet

Alice Springs from Anzac Hill (looking southwest)Alice Springs from Anzac Hill (looking southwest)

Balmy day on the golf courseBalmy day on the golf course

travel from central coast to Alice Springs

by kevlene

Hi, I have just purchased a 4wd, (Jackaroo 1999), and will be travelling from the Central Coast, (Nrth of Sydney), directly to alice springs, (with loads of gear as I will be moving!! I'm not sure about the best route. Can I take short cuts on the dirt, or do you recommend I travel on the main roads. The Aust. travel map recommends i go to broken hill, port austusta, coober pedy, etc. Is this the best route or should I travel to Charlaville and across that way? Any ideas welcome.

Cheers, Wendy

by pedroswift

Stick to the bitumen especially if you have no off-road 4x4 experience, especially in mid summer.
Going solo? Report into mum daily. Good luck. Happy New Year de p.

by colin_bramso

Good advice at any time - and if you're going in The Wet don't even think about leaving the bitumen.

by angiebabe

Ive driven a lot around the Charleville area up to Longreach and so on - in the wet and dry!(my ford falcon thought it was as agood as a 4x4!) - there are a lot of dirt roads still that are fine for driving on but if it is wet you not only chop the road up badly for the locals which is such a pain as they then have even more crap roads until the graders come in again to tidy them up - and its a pain for you having to negotiate roads in the wet which could become a real ordeal for long stretches.

you could try giving the police station at Charleville a call and ask their opinion!

by pedroswift

May I suggest that driving from Charleville to Longreach or anywhere else in the area on bitumen roads (with occasional use of unsealed)is not relevant to Wendy's situation. Wendy should plan to use sealed roads all the way.

by wise23girl

We traveled to Alice Springs some years ago from Queensland .We went via Broken Hill which I would prefer to the Charleville option. One warning do not make Wilcannia a stopover. Security wise there could be problem.
We went to Quorn and up via Maree and followed the track of the Old Ghan crossing the sandy bed of the Mighty Finke River. We were on a "tag along" with a guy from Coober Pedy called Dave Burke.
Probably OK in winter but with summer rain and summer heat best to keep to the main route.

o

by AlsSpr

Hahaha...
Wilcannia isnt a lot worse than parts of Alice these days!

Travel Tips for Alice Springs

'Roo sausage....an appetizer with bounce !

by pchamlis

Before we went to Australia, we KNEW that kangaroo would probably hop onto our plates at some point on the trip. We definitely associated 'roo as being "bush tucker". And, it most certainly IS a mainstay of meat supply in the bush areas. But, the consumption of kangaroo in Australia is much more wide-spread. You can find kangaroo filet on some of the finer restaurant menus in Sydney and Brisbane, and can find kangaroo burgers at roadhouses throughout Australia.

Before my first taste, I'd already assumed that I'd like kangaroo meat, because everybody in Australia said it was very very good. And, they're right. The only kangaroo that I tasted in Oz was at our Frontier Camel dinner safari meal. The splendid Chef Dieter served up, as an appetizer, a terrific kangaroo sausage.

This sausage was not very highly spiced, much in keeping with what we'd found in Australia. The Aussies just don't like to spice up their food very much, that's my impression. The thing that separated my 'roo sausage from other meat wursts I'd had was the lean texture of the meat. This sausage was extra meaty. There's a much lower fat content. It's quite tasty, and I'd guess that, while cooking it, you'd need to take care NOT to overcook, to avoid dryness. But Chef Dieter knew what he was doing, and our kangaroo sausage appetizers were just perfect.

It's probably taboo, but I sprinkled a bit of the Dukka spice mix (see recipe in later tip) over my sausage and sprinkled it a bit with olive oil. Very good.

Eating Kangaroo Tails

by Kate-Me

My travelling aunt tells me that when she was at a work gathering with her Tour Company at Ayers Rock recently, among the Aborigines there, BBQ Kangaroo Tails (still with the fur on) are a great specialty, especially with the kids....throw them on the fire till they're almost charcoaled, then drag them off and eat with the fingers.....
My aunt decided to pass and snuck back to her room to boil up some packet soup instead...

Ormiston Gorge (West MacDonnell NP)

by bluesmama

In the West MacDonnel Ranges you find Ormiston Gorge. It is SO wonderful there. Unfortunately I didn't get to see that much. Only 1½ weeks before my cousin had the cast removed from the ankle she broke in NZ (yes, skydiving in Taupo is dangerous - but fun she assures me!) so she wasn't all that mobile. So when Scotty and Tina explored more of the gorge we stayed and enjoyed the silence. We had it all to ourselves. Except for a dingo who suddenly came running - didn't seem to take any notice of us...

Flying Doctors

by Gypsy_Saskia

There is a little museum about the RFDS, which is quite interesting. For $ 6 you can watch a good video, get a bit of info from one of the friendly volunteers and browse in the museum. There's a wonderful old fashioned cafe attached.

Desert

by nipper1

area around Alice Springs can be hostile and rough. wildlife in abundance
when taking off to explore be careful and don't forget some basic rules
waterbottle, hat, sunblocker and good footwear.
then there is the Desert Park just outside Alice, where you find all forms of vegetation and fauna of the outback. Rangers put on fine demonstrations with trained animals. interesting also the nighthouse, where nocturnal animals are held only active before dust or night

Comments