Batchelor Hotels

Our Members Say

• sirgaw profile photo sirgaw
  • Reviews: 270

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Batchelor Butterfly Farm: It is unique

The town of Batchelor is not overflowing with accommodation providers and after a little hunting on the net we opted for the Butterfly Farm - from their web site the establishment seemed different to anywhere we have stayed before and it is.

We were shown to our metal cabin (wood is not a good building material in termite infested areas) which seemed quite adequate although I did consider it was over priced. It had all the facilities that I would expect, although TV reception was somewhat questionable. That metal cabin was quite hot and it took some time for the aircon to provide relief.

The property boasts an enclosed butterfly farm and guests can stroll though and admire the beauty. It also has a small petting farm with open mouthed/beaks ready for a feed from a variety of 'critters' - some cute others, well . . . There is a small swimming pool and various features covering most of the property.

We strolled through the butterfly enclosure where I tried to take snaps of butterflies with limited success as shown. Later inspection showed that the first photo was 2 Orchard Butterfly's mating. The Orange Lacewings were a challenge as they did not stay still long enough to get a good shot. I had better luck when I changed the camera to video mode - listen for the turkey in the next enclosure.

After a check of the price list and a discussion with another guest, we decided to try our luck elsewhere for our evening meal.

When we returned to our cabin from a meal at the Rum Jungle Tavern, I needed to walk to the cafe area to try and get directions for our next days expedition to the Litchfield National Park. As I walked along a walkway, I was bombed by a custard apple - a large and gooey white fleshed fruiting tree that had decided to unleash on me (photo 4).

I was quite annoyed at the time it took to check out - and the owner/manager seemed more interested in giving directions to staff members rather than concentrating on the guests who pay his income. We noticed 2 young and attractive women back packers stripped down to skimpy bikinis and getting on with shifting something in a wheelbarrow from a pile on the road (I didn't notice what they were shifting - LOL) - in the hot and tropical sun they seemed little prepared with coverings, hat, sunscreen or water bottles. However they would have made a great visual tourist attraction in their own right. I suppose the eye candy of the young women was better than this old fa*t trying to pay the account.

All up the butterfly farm is 'different' in more ways than one and in spite of some short comings I would stay again - perhaps I should add, "Don't mess with the owner/manager!!!!"

• Opinion of Price: about average