Holiday Inn Esplanade Darwin

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 reviews

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Business Travel National/State Park
Rambling_Rover's Profile Photo

Ho! for the Northern Territory!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 6, 2009

This hotel gets confused a lot with its neighbor which is also named the Holiday Inn. It's like having two Starbucks Coffee shops across the street from each other! Anyway, this was a very comfortable place to stay. We stayed during the buildup to the WET so we found the staff a bit edgy, but from what I understand that's normal for people in Darwin that time of year. They were most helpful pointing us to the Mindle Beach Sunset Market. It was a good stretch of the legs from hotel to market, but Lee and I like to walk so it was fine. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of most of the downtown attractions. We enjoyed our stay here and met some friendly folks who were also guests of the hotel who we shared some time and travel tips with.

Unique Quality: The hotel overlooks the harbour but our room overlooked the pool. Good sized rooms for the money. Very clean. large bathrooms with shower and bath, good sized and comfortable beds. Smallish fridge and we had to shuffle their stuff around to get our stuff in. Ice trays (plural) and very much appreciated. Ice Cold Airconditioning - VERY, VERY much appreciated at the end of a hot and humid day of siteseeing. A huge pool. The water tasted funny. I couldn't tell if it was the chlorine or what. I didn't find it unpleasent, just different.

Directions: Around the eastern end of the Esplanade if you are looking at the harbour from the hotel.

SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

Bog-standard Holiday Inn - OK, but boring

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 23, 2008

I chose this hotel because I knew exactly what I would get, and I got exactly what I expected: a bog-standard experience in a hotel that provided the basics, but had no extra redeeming features whatsoever. I was there for over a week, and after a few days I realised that this was not what I wanted after all. I think I should have stayed in one of the cheaper backpacker joints, as they would have had some character (but then I'd probably be complaining about noise).

The breakfast was good, but pricey; the front desk were surface-polite only, not really friendly; and the housekeeping was spotty at best. I was on severe jet-lag the first few days so I was sleeping in fairly late. Since I would miss the regular cleaning round, three out of the first four days I had to phone down and ask for housekeeping to do my room, after a long day of sight-seeing. The rooms were comfortable enough. Mine on the second floor had a nice few of the next building across the alleyway, and the ocean if I looked way over to the right.

I would not stay there again.

Directions: Right on the Esplanade (the waterfront) through to Mitchell Street. A 5-minute walk to the night-life central focus.

Great views from this hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 4, 2003

If you want to stay at one of the better hotels in Darwin, this should be one of your choices.

The location is great, right on the Esplanade, and a few minutes walk to restaurants and shopping.

Unique Quality: The rooms are extremely comfortable with big bathrooms. A/C, TV, minibar, and in-room safe are included.

The views are great from all rooms, but try to get a harbour view (usually a bit more expensive).

Rates are higher than most hotels in Darwin, but change depending on the season. Dry season is more expensive, starting around AU$150 for standard rooms. During wet season, you can get a room for about $100.

4 Photos of Holiday Inn Esplanade Darwin

Darwin Travel Forum

Need advice about Darwin, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Darwin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Darwin hotel reviews

Magnetic Termite Mounds
Unique Cathedral Termite Mounds
Jumping Crocs at Crocodylus Park
Things to Do
- amazing value and view of sun set
The Ghan