Paraway Motel

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Corner O'Shea Terrace And First Street, Katherine, Australia

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Katherine

Turtles nest here.Turtles nest here.

Getting ready to fly out of KatherineGetting ready to fly out of Katherine

aussirose & pilot of Heli-Muster NTaussirose & pilot of Heli-Muster NT

Katherine Gorges view from Heli-Muster chopperKatherine Gorges view from Heli-Muster chopper

Travel Tips for Katherine

Nitmiluk Visitors Information Centre

by aussirose

After our chopper ride, Zig took us out a bit futher to the gateway to the Gorges...... Nitmiluk Visitors Information Centre.

This place was lovely! ...and the info centre well presented and a pleasure to wander around in :o) I've noticed this in the Northern Territory.... their visitors info centres are excellant!! .... no tight budget here!! :o)

So I recommend that you visit this place. As I said from the outset.... I wish that we had spent more than 1 day here in Katherine.... because I would have loved to come here to Nitmiluk and perhaps hired a canoe and done a bushwalk.....etc. Seeing it from the air in the chopper and hearing Zig's stories ..... well.... I guess it's one of those places that you just want to come back to..... ;o)

There's always next time..... :o)

Hello busloads

by iandsmith

Edith Falls might give me some respite from the tourist hordes I thought. Mmm, I got that wrong!
Edith is at the end of a multi-day walk from Katherine Gorge and there is a small trickle of walkers filtering through in the cooler winter months. However, there are busloads of backpackers ferried in from Katherine so you won't have it all to yourself.
Edith is a series of falls with great swimming holes.
The popular upper falls is a great place for swimming but the middle pool (pics 2 and 4) is almost inaccessible and it is rare to see anyone there.
Near the carpark is another popular spot though I didn't spend any time there.

Katherine Museum

by cafank

This museum is located not far out of town at the original Kathrein airport site. Needles to say a plane is the major display. Not just any plane, but an original Flying Doctors plane, flown by the the first Flying Doctor. The Flying Doctor still works all around this area so it's an interesting piece to see.

There are lots of aboriginal artifacts and many displays of early Katherine pastoral activities.

Don't know what it is about this town but here at the museum are more grounds where you could enjoy a picnic lunch. There are wallabies hopping around and some great birds to be seen too.

Gorgeous Katherine Gorges

by aussirose

My first impression of Katherine was ho..humm ... not much here. In fact I had a pre-conceived idea the Katherine was a small town in the middle of no-where surrounded by hot dry desert!!

Well how wrong could I have been!! Even though the town of Katherine is not much to speak about.... just down the hill and out of the city centre is the river and what a gorgeous place!! Surrounded by nice shady trees.... I can imagine that in the hot summer months.... this would be the place to cool off!! :o)

Well this was nearly the end of our big across the continent journey from Cairns to Darwin after the big downunder meet at Airlie Beach.

Hubby and I had some spare cash so we decided on the spur of the moment to book a chopper trip over the famous Katherine Gorges.

WoW!!! .... Is all I can say right now!! It was my first chopper flight!!
I was like a little kid with my first lolly pop!! ;o)

Well my first chopper flight was the best!! ....and now I am hooked!!

Just check out that pic!!! :o) Nice hey ;o)

What an amazing flight!! ....more about that in the travelogues below :o)

Katherine Gorge

by littleman

Situated a few hours drive from Darwin outside of the town of Katherine is this natural wonder.This gorge is very long and consists of about 7 "steps".The further you travel up the gorge the smaller the bodies of water become.
You can hire canoes or travel on a guided flat bottom boats.When you get to one of the "steps",you have to either carry your canoe or walk up to the next boat.
Well worth a visit.