Mataranka Homestead

Homestead Street, Mataranka, 0852, Australia

Otel.com

Satisfaction Poor

Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort Covered Patio

The Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort (MHTR) has a large open-air, covered patio next to the reception area and gift shop. It is the center for many activities. The patio has Jeannie's Kitchen, Maluka's Bar, pool table, and public dunnies. It opens out to more outdoor dining and a stage where they have entertainment and a campfire in the evening. The 1982 movie, We of the Never Never, based on Jeannie Gunn's book about Elsey Station is shown daily at noon on the patio. The Garden Bistro is just next door and is open in the evenings.

Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort Campgrounds

I did not camp at the Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort (MHTR), so I only know what their website says. MHTR has close to 100 powered campsites and essentially unlimited unpowered campsites. It does not seem correct, but the website gives the same rates for the powered sites and the unpowered sites, i.e., two adults for 27.00 AUD plus 10.00 AUD for each extra adult, and 6.50 AUD for children over 5 years old. Children under 5 years old are free of charge (FOC).

There was a good-sized campground north of the main building with toilet and change room facilities across the road from the stage. This north campground had powered sites with water taps, and even some picnic shelters with a table. To the south and southeast of the Reception Kiosk there was a huge campground. These may be the unpowered sites. I did not go down there but from Google Earth it looks like there are toilet and change room facilities for that campground also.

MHTR Outdoor Dining Area

The Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort (MHTR) has extensive outdoor dining areas by and under the large open-air covered patio, and also at the Garden Bistro. There is a small stage for the entertainment they provide in the evening 6 days a week during the high season. They also have a fenced site where they build a campfire at night. See videos showing the kind of entertainment and a campfire.

Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort Reception Kiosk

The Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort (MHTR) is open all year round and during the high season (Easter weekend to late August), they have live entertainment six nights a week . Meals are available seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have a large kiosk (mini-market) in the Reception area that stocks camping items, fishing gear, and a large selection of souvenirs.

They have 10 cabins and 23 motel rooms available, but it seemed like most visitors used the campgrounds. There are almost 100 powered sites and pretty much unlimited unpowered sites. All are within walking distance of the thermal pool. The campgrounds have nearby restroom and shower facilities. I did not realize it when I was there, but I noticed on Google Earth later that there is an unpaved runaway for aircraft. The Greyhound bus will turn off the main highway and stop at Reception if there is someone to pick up or drop off (they call to find out).

Unique Quality: The Mataranka Thermal Pool is just 200 meters away.

Directions: Turn east on Homestead Rd ~1.5 km south of the town of Mataranka. At the "Y" with John Hauser Rd (~4.3 km), go left to the end of Homestead Rd (~2.7 km). Go past the day parking lot by the Homestead replica, through the gate to Reception on the east side.

Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort Motel Rooms

After Nitmiluk Tours refused to pick me up in Katherine since the bus arrived 30 minutes after my scheduled pick up time (which was 17:00), I decided to stay on the bus and go to the Mataranka Homestead Tourist Resort a day early, arriving at 20:15. Fortunately they had plenty of vacancies and I got one of their 23 motel rooms for 89 AUD with no problem. The office was closed at that time of night, but the bus driver told me that I could check-in at Maluka's Bar on the open-air patio. Since I had arrived a day early, I would have been satisfied with any kind of room; however, even though their motel rooms are basic, they are more than adequate. They have an ensuite bathroom, hot water shower, air conditioning, fridge, TV, a jug (electric kettle), tea and coffee supplies, linen and towels,and a comfortable double bed or two twin beds. A young fellow even showed me the way to my room and helped me with my large duffle bag. BTW, the motel rooms are far enough away from the outdoor patio that there is no noise problem at all.

Unique Quality: The Mataranka Thermal Pool is only ~200 meters from the office (2 min walk).

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Thermal Pool Heaven

This is definately the place to stay in Mataranka! Lovely surroundings, walk to the Thermal Pool, heaps of wildlife, good tucker and friendly staff :o)

No of course we didn't stay in the 'dunnies' .... lol. But I forgot to get a shot of the accommodation for vt.... having too much fun here :o)

The site below has all the info you need.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

A family affair

I enjoyed myself here. Set amongst the trees this place has a variety of accommodation levels from basic camping to powered sites to motel style rooms, though you shouldn't be coming here if you're after 5 star.
    No, this is your place for travelling families or grey nomads to enjoy and socialize. You'll be joined by international and Australian backpackers as well so be prepared to join in a conversation or two in this relaxed atmosphere.
    They were constructing even more facilities while I was there, such is the popularity of the place.

Unique Quality: What sets this place aside is that there's entertainment at night.
    They have a local band on an outside stage so you can sit and sip your favourite beverage and enjoy the music.

• bluesmama's Profile Photo

Beautiful night skies

I got a backpacker room, it was a double but I had it to myself. - Except for 4 geckos and a green tree frog that came to visit me in the night.
    The homestead is a bit out of town, but Greyhound busses stop there.

Unique Quality: Right next to the homestead is Mataranka Thermal pool.
    Lots of great walks along the river. Had it all to myself when I was there.
    Also on the grounds is a replica of the Elsey homestead.

Comments