Ballina Beach Village

440 South Ballina Beach Road, South Ballina, Ballina, 2478, Australia
Ballina Beach Village
Agoda.com Booking.com

More about Ballina

Sit outside on the deck.Sit outside on the deck.

Last walkway into Crystal Castle (opposite the LabLast walkway into Crystal Castle (opposite the Lab

An old farm houseAn old farm house

Travel Tips for Ballina

What an Adventure I had last weekend 15/16 Oct.05

by unravelau

"Ballina and its surrounding villages."

Ballina is a very popular and quite beautiful fishing and holiday place on the East Coast of New South Wales. Any time that I have travelled north from Coffs Harbour towards Queensland, I have passed through this lovely place. Heading north/west to Mullimbimby was something that I hadn't done in recent memory and further on to the Crystal Castle was a totally exhillerating and joyful experience for me. From this destination you can actually have a magnificent view to Byron Bay and the Ocean. All just lovely, but I am getting ahead of myself a bit.

Other of Ballina's claims to fame comes from another unusual icon - The Big Prawn (photo) and Ballina's Lighthouse built in 1879 has the distinction of being one of the oldest in the state. I haven't been to the lighthouse yet but in January 2004 I had a quick snack in a cafe nearby the big prawn. I must visit the inside of this too at some stage as it houses a gem and stone display as well..By the way one of Australians' favourite sayings, when they think that someone has gone a bit too far is........"don't come the raw prawn mate"......well, for your information this is not representing a raw prawn.........a raw prawn is green/grey in colour not pink. The pink comes with the cooking.

"The treck to Mullumbimby's Crystal Castle."

It is the most beautiful countryside you are ever likely to see. The final stretch of road is windy and hilly but quite beautiful and tarred all of the way. I didn't get out and take any photos until we arrived at our destination. It was raining a bit too much and I didn't have any protection for my camera. Anyway I risked a few shots when we arrived and as we were leaving too. I saved the labrynth walk until I was going home. (see more in things to do).

"A pod of whales frollicking in the ocean"

Our trip was sadly drawing to a close when we finally met up with Maggie's friend Elizabeth who lives at Ocean Shores. We were all surprised and pleased to accept her invitation to morning tea at her home which has the most outstanding ocean view from her wonderful verandah. She gave us a tour of the garden which borders yet another national park, and invited us to view the inside of her home which has a breathtaking array of nick-nacks, artistic pieces as well as many of her and other well known artists work all throughout her unique and multi-levelled home. I was just gazing out the master bedroom windows, looking at the sea and couldn't believe my eyes. I said, is that, it is...........just look here everyone.........gasps of delight as we all got in the swing of the dance and spray display of a pod of whales.........magnificent..........They played for about 1/4 hour as we watched.

Comments