Broken Hill Hotels

Our Members Say

• thegreynomad profile photo thegreynomad
  • Reviews: 9

STURT MOTEL: Good Motel

The Sturt Motel belongs to the "Budget' Motel Chain and is a 3.5 star Motel.

The Motel is just off the Adelaide road, so was in a very convenient position as I was continuing onto Adelaide the next day.

Outside the rooms was a lawned area with shady trees, a bbq, swimming pool and an area where I could sit under. What I liked, was the coin operated Laundry that was available, this was a bonus for travellers.

I took a Standard room which had the usual colour TV, a reverse cycle Air conditioner and electric blankets on the bed. I liked having a toaster and microwave and if I wanted to, I could order a light meal from reception. I didn't try this out. My room was en-suite, with a hair-dryer for the ladies and tea & coffee making facilities.
I found it to be quiet and safe, and I would return here if ever in Broken Hill again.

RATES FOR 2013
Single $78 Standard room $85 Upgraded room $89 Cabin
Double $84 " " $90 " " $95 "

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Women's Travel, Seniors
  • Written January 16, 2013

Outdoor area at the Sturt Motel

• Smell40 profile photo Smell40
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

the Palace: The Palace, Broken Hill

Just FAB. Set in the 70's complete with original carpet. A bit tired now but undergoing restoration. Stayed in old room with a wonderfully comfortable bed. Had a steak in restaurant sidebar which was just mouthwatering. Would we stay there again YES. Shame no cooked breakfast though.

Lovely verandah with view of town. Spectacular murals inside hotel stairwell and ballroom.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Motorcycle, Trains
  • Written September 25, 2011

• MylesD profile photo MylesD
  • Reviews: 95

Theatre Royal Broken Hill Hotel: Cheapest room in Broken Hill

Before going to Broken Hill, I did a lot of research on the hotels there. I called over 10 different places in order to find the cheapest room, and the Theatre Royal was cheapest of all. (Although a friend of mine staying at the Black Lion Inn Hotel only paid $3 more / night than I did). The room was exceptionally small, with the single bed and tiny desk taking up most of the space. It was perfect for me, seeing as how I was traveling by myself, and hadn't intended on spending much time in my room anyway. The hotel was empty for much of the time I was there, I only saw 1 other person in 4 days. I arrived late Saturday night and the entrance was locked, so I gave the manager Dianne a call and she opened up for me. Overall the room was clean and fulfilled all of my needs! :)

Located in the middle of Argent street, this is the ideal location for a hotel in Broken Hill. Within walking distance of the visitor's centre, post office, restaurants, train station, art galleries, parks, etc.

The Theatre Royal is sometimes known as the Broken Hill Hotel on the Internet. Everyone in BH knows it as the Theatre Royal though.

Also the bathrooms are shared.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written May 13, 2008
Tip Photo

• aussiedoug profile photo aussiedoug
  • Reviews: 248

Gateway Motor Inn: Gateway to the Outback

Two night here last week found this to be a good place to stay.

The proprietors Gail & Terry James are friendly & helpful people & their daughter, who attends Broken Hill HIgh School was also great helping out by working the front desk/reception.

It offers a number of different types of accommodatoin. The room I was in was more than enough for me & I know I could also get a room suitable for my whole family if we visited Broken Hill again (which we will do).

I had a very spacious room with a lovely comfy queen sized bed.

The refreshing pool which was great after a hard, hot day working was straight across from my room. It's solar heated for the cooler days of winter when there's still lots of sun to warm up the water enough for a swim.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written May 4, 2005

Pool at Sunset

• Kate-Me profile photo Kate-Me
  • Reviews: 1688

Desert Camping

I found camping at Mungo National Park rather nice. It's very dry, sandy and deserty, but at the designated camp ground there is a tap with a little water (water is extremely scarce in the area - none above the ground) and a basic outback 'long drop' toilet.

It's just nice to be out in the middle of nowhere with almost nobody else around...except for a few birds, lizards and other creatures.

Camping at these primitive camp grounds is by self-registration, and charges are minimal (only about AUS $10 per vehicle)

If you don't want to camp, there is one kind of 'lodge' within the park with a small shop attached.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive