Bosuns Inn

View over CoffsView over Coffs

On the DeckOn the Deck

View To The OceanView To The Ocean

Travel Tips for Coffs Harbour

As they say, "*** happens"

by iandsmith

Or not, as was the case in the great outfall disaster. There were all the pieces for the extended outfall into the ocean, there was the crane on a barge and there was the rough seas....uh, oh, I don't think the latter was supposed to be there!
It all ended up in a dramatic demolition job in the harbour at Coffs before they even got it to the intended site on the adjacent beach.
A luncheon get together with other VT members led me to get this photo, for which I have to specifically thank "unravelau". This pic shows the crane barge where it came to grief on the southern rockwall of the harbour. The whole thing cost millions originally and a heap more to repair. The storm and its effects raged for days in April, 2004.

Learn how to surf

by unravelau

Surfing is one of the most popular activities in Coffs Harbour and it has a very active surf club and life saving facilities.

You would be advised to learn the how to's around the surf and always bathe between the flags on a patrolled beach. Of course you need swimming outfit, a towel, 30 plus bockout, shirt, hat, umbrella and you are just about ready. Knowing how to surf would be a handy skill to learn if you come from a country where the water doesn't wave (like some beaches in Italy). Learning how to recognise dumpers and rips might be handy.

If you go to a beach and discover that the flags are crossed....do not go in the water.

Pass the WD40 please

by iandsmith

I've had some experiences here, none better than the last two. On the Tuesday the weather was filthy and I had my work clothes on. I got through the knee deep water at low tide with only having to take my shoes off but when I finally got to the other side it started to rain and I ended up wet all over, despite sheltering beneath the sparse tree cover.
The next day I arrived shortly before midday. This time it was high tide. In between taking photos and frustrating attempts to broach Station Creek it took me about half an hour before, naked from the waist down, I made it over (or through) the flowing water. I had left my shoes behind this day, ultimately not a good decision, but convenient for the crossing. It left room to stash my trousers in the backpack.
When I returned I had a thought as to how good it would be if a vehicle came to this lonely part of the world. This before I stripped, naked to the waist again. Just as I was stacking my gear in the bag, along came a 4WD. How embarrassing. Since I desperately wanted a picture of someone crossing I grabbed my camera and turned the top half of my body to get a shot or two. (see pics 2-5)
That worked fine until Bob the concreter, on his way for an afternoon's fishing, stalled just 5 metres before getting clear of the water. I then had to redress, went down for a chat before Bob decided to go and get help from the 4WD at Pebbly Beach.
This allowed me to strip again and make the crossing back to Station Creek Beach.
There are signs warning people about the varying depths and you are advised to ford at low tide.

View from the top

by iandsmith

The veiw from the top is one of the finest in the area, with the blue hills forming a distinctive background for the colours of the rooftops. All of this with the picturesque marina and beaches in the foreground.
Mutton birds are so named for their taste, their real nomenclature is shearwaters and they nest on this island so you are warned beforehand to stay on the trail as their nesting sites are all over the island in season.

Half way between Brisbane & Sydney

by northeast80

That's why I chose to stop here, the bus took 8 hrs from Brisbane and 9hrs to get to Sydney.
But was a really nice little place, one of those where you meet people that came for one night and stayed a month.
Went on a board walk through the mangroves, lots of wild life to see and a sculpture trail.
Experienced 'The Plantation' club where I played pool dismally.
Talked to a Hungarian lady at a car boot stall for a while about traveling.
Walked on a very wet and windy jetty and gave up on walking to the island.
There will be photos at some point...

Comments