512 Pacific Hwy, Gosford North, Gosford, 2250, Australia
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Gosford

Photo taken out of the train window at Gosford.Photo taken out of the train window at Gosford.

Rail and road side by side over the Hawkesbury.Rail and road side by side over the Hawkesbury.

Just as well the train windows were clean.Just as well the train windows were clean.

Shades of the Hawkesbury River from the train.Shades of the Hawkesbury River from the train.

A new life in Gosford

by NicolaM

My husband has been offered a job in Newcastle and we are thinking of living in Gosford.
Can someone please tell me the bet secondary school in the area so I know where to concentrate my search for accomodation?

RE: A new life in Gosford

by glen006

The Central Coast is a sensational place to raise your kids (they might turn out like me) actually .. wait you don't want that....

Anyway, some great places on the coast (depending on what you an afford) are around Terrigal, Wamberal, Forresters Beach .. toward The Entrance.

If you want a private education, the options are St Peters @ Tuggerah, close to Westfield and a vastly expanding housing estate, and only minutes from semi-rural properties, or St Edwards at East Gosford (the area itself is a bit of a hole.)

My recommendations would be along the coast somewhere between North Entrance and Terrigal, the Pacific Hwy heads along the coast to Newcastle via Belmont/Charlestown, and is just as quick as the F3.

by colin_bramso

G'day Glen, welcome to VT.

Nicola, you could also look around Newcastle itself, to save the travelling. There are some excellent beach suburbs.
My VT buddy iandsmith will be able to give you school info I'm sure, when he comes online.

by aussirose

Heya. Can I add another vt member to the list (G'day Colin). Give aussiedoug an email. He lives up Newcastle way too. My kids were young when we lived in Kincumber, so I can't really comment on High School. ....And as Colin said, you'd probably be better off living in a coastal suburb near Newcastle anyway. Cheers, Ann :o)

by glen006

yeah, I grew up on the Coast, wen't to Berkeley Vale high, and when I was at high school (1995-2000), all the public secondary schools seemed much of a muchness, with an overwhelming majority of anglo students, and pretty easy going lifestyles.

I lived in Newcastle (Merewether) for a year in 2003, and while I can't comment on the quality of schools, I'd assume they are pretty similar to Coast schools. Newcastle's beachside suburbs are also brilliant places to live, and there are probably more things to do up there than on the coast.

by colin_bramso

G'day Ann. Bought yourselves a new boat?

by aussirose

Yeh Colin. Picked it up yesterday. Howie was sooo nervous!! Both Howard and Dylan just passed their Skipper's Ticket the other day, and now one more lesson in the new boat next Saturday then we'll be away :o) I've already practiced sitting up the front with my glass of wine looking posh haha. Can't wait!!

by colin_bramso

That's the only way to do it Ann, let the family do the work while you enjoy the views ;-)

by NicolaM

Thank you for all your replies. I like how the conversation goes onto boats and wine. Sounds like a great place to live already.
We are looking around Gosford as I've been told I'll have to go to Sydney to get work. I'm an I.T Project Manager, and it sounds like theres not much I.T. work in Newcastle. If you know different, let me know.
So, it looks as though Gosford is a nice place half way.

by aussirose

Well definately sounds like Gosford area is the go Nicola....half way for both of you. If you need any more help, please do not hesitate to email both Colin and I. We do not live in the area at the moment but we will be more than eager to help you in any concerns about the best place to locate. And please stick around vt because there's a wealth of info here to help you in your relocation. All we ask back is to stick around and share your pix. After all, that's what makes vt such a wonderful site to visit!! Cheers, Ann :o)

by colin_bramso

Sorry Nicola, we often go off at a tangent and take over other peoples' threads. Don't we Ann ;-)

Yes, Gosford's a good half-way point for Sydney & Newcastle. Train station there too with trains going to both places, or the F3 Freeway - the drive into Newcastle's OK but very crowded into Sydney.
There are some nice places to live in Gosford itself these days, especially apartments overlooking the water, or houses in the leafy suburbs. The coast is great - Terrigal, Avoca, Wamberal especially, but you'll have the extra drive into Gosford for the train and parking is terrible.
I know Ann's got some info on Avoca Beach on her pages, and I've got some on Terigal, so you could check those out. Not sure if anyone's got a page specifically on Gosford though.
And as Ann said, e-mail if you have specific questions - we may be able to help.

by aussirose

Oh dear Colin....is the parking at Gosford station still bad?... luckily we used to park early in the morning....but still had to walk a distance to the station. ....mmmm shhhh, perhaps I shouldn't have said that :o) Well, never mind, the beaches and beautiful places in and around Gosford would certainly make up for that.

by colin_bramso

Yeah, they increased the parking but still not nearly enough spaces for all the increased traffic. People have to get there earlier & earlier to find a spot, or walk a loooooong way.

by glen006

I was parking at Gosford Station every day last year (7:30 train) and it wasn't too bad in the new Commuter parking station, but if you could look to live away from Gosford itself (either north or south) there is still good access to the rail line

by aussirose

G'day Glen and welcome to vt :o) Hope you stick around and share your pix with us. Would love to see some more photos of the Central Coast Area. I miss it there :o) Please let me know when you have made a few pages matey. Cheers, Ann :o)

by aussirose

Oh btw Colin, we just launched the new boat yesterday. Wanna see the pix?
Hugs, Ann xx

by colin_bramso

What a great day that looks Ann! Here's to many more :-)

by aussirose

Thanx Colin. Can't wait till tomorrow to do it again :o) Hope you are enjoying the break too :o) Hugz, Ann.

Hi again.
Does anyone know what Erina Heights is like?
After endlessly searching through the web there appears to be a nice school there. Is it close to the train line into Sydney?
is it a nice area to live?

by colin_bramso

Erina Heights is near the coast, a bit inland by Terrigal and Wamberal towards Gosford. About 15 minutes drive into Gosford, 10 minutes to the beaches.
It's part built-up, part rural with a choice of housing from rural acreage to suburban type houses. Plenty of shops, doctors, etc etc nearby.
Also a huge shopping mall, which you can check out on www.erinafair.com.au

by aussirose

Hey guys :o) I used to love shopping at Erina Fair Colin. Yes Erina Heights is very central to everything. Cheers, Ann :o)

by colin_bramso

G'day Ann. Erina Fair's been almost doubled in size over the last year. Some really upmarket cafes, restaurants, shops now, plus ice skating, huge cinema complex, play areas, bars, gardens...

by aussirose

Goodness Colin!! ....and an ice rink as well!! I often wonder about moving from that area. Sometime I wish we hadn't.... oh well just a passing thought :o) You are going to love the Central Coast Nicola!! Please stick around vt and keep us informed!! Cheers, Ann :o)

by colin_bramso

Remember Bay Village shopping mall at Bataeu Bay Ann? That's doubled in size too in response to Erina Fair.

by aussirose

Fairdinkum?!! I'm impressed. We rented in Bataeu Bay once. I liked the beach there because there's no white wash on the waves....easy swimming :o) Bet Bateau Bay is very classy now :o) Now look what you've done....got me on a nastalga trip ;o)

by colin_bramso

We used to go there every so often. A bit of a hike up and down the steps but a nice quiet little bay and a nice picnic area up on the cliff. Never crowded even at weekends.

Travel Tips for Gosford

Australian Reptile Park

by misakitaguchi

You can see many reptiles But Koala,Kangaroo and Ding as well. You can see many presentations as well. You might have a chance to take a picture with big python;))

Open 7days 9 to 5pm
Adult $18

The Hawkesbury River

by unravelau

"Holiday spots galore near Gosford."

Such a pretty place around the Hawkesbury River.

Just one site that tells you about cruises out of Sydney for the area.

"The Hawkesbury is easily seen from both"

the north coast railway and pacific highway.

I have often thought that I would like some photos of the area and decided to try my hand at my out the car window method but from the train.

They didn't turn out very well but at least you can get a bit of an idea of its beauty.

Gosford, the playground of two cities.

by Felsomindszent

"The Beautiful Central Coast"

Gosford is situated on the Central Coast of New South Wales between the cities of Sydney and Newcastle. It is blessed with some of the best beaches in the world as well as the picturesque Brisbane Waters.
Among the activities are, Surfing, Fishing, Boating and Dinning. There are a number of licensed clubs available for those hollidaymakers who look for that type of entertainment.
It is not much more than one hours drive, or by train, from both Sudney and Newcastle.

"Mount Pennang Gardens."

Mount Pennang Gardens is a new addition to the attractions of the Central Coast. It is the home of the annual Springtime Flora Festival.

"Surfing"

Surfing is a popular passtime for many on the Central Coast. With pristine beaches, there are any amount of location to choose from.

On the way to Terrigal

by Audrey118

We took a drive up north of Sydney to Terrigal for a sunny, sandy summer day. Many tourist love to visit Bondi Beach, Manly Beach but we decided to take up much further north, and on the way there we stopped over at Gosford for lunch.

The region south of Budgewoi and north of the Hawksbury River, loosely centered on Gosford is the Central Coast.

Lots of locals we holiday making around the Hawkesbury river where you can rent house boats and near Brooklyn. There are lots of scenic spots around this part of the north of NSW.

Our lunch was mainly from a local fish and chippery, one of our favourite at Monti's fish shop. Here they have a black board menu and you choose from it. We took away and sat at a really tiny green park across from the highway, with lots of birds coming to share our chips.

Springtime Flora Festival

by Felsomindszent

"Annual Springtime Flora Festival"

The Springtime Flora Festival is held in October each year. It brings together a number of Growers, Nurserymen, Manufacturers of garden tools and outdoor items. It also brings many thousands of visitors who enjoy the many displays and hopefully be able to pick up a rare plant.

Comments