Comfort Inn Posthouse (1 Lagoon Street.)

1 Lagoon Street
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Goulburn

Technical collegeTechnical college

The great east window of St. Saviours CathedralThe great east window of St. Saviours Cathedral

The Department storeThe Department store

Views over goulburnViews over goulburn

Travel Tips for Goulburn

War Memorial

by iandsmith

Situated on a hill visible from the streets of Goulburn is the War Memorial, dedicated to those who lost their lives whilst fighting for Australia.
There is a museum close by with an interesting display and there are some nice picnic spots with tables just below the base of the tower with commanding views of the countryside.

St. Saviour Cathedral - THE PULPIT

by balhannah

The pulpit is worth taking a closer look at.. It was carved by John Roddis of Birmingham out of Caen stone from Normandy and stands upon six columns of English marble.
It portrays the prophet Elijah with the raven that fed him in the wilderness; Christ enthroned, Moses with the Ten Commandments; Peter with the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven; and Paul bearing the Gospel. It is beautifully done.

Above the pulpit is the Figure of Christ on the Cross, carved by Edmund Blacket who brought it on the journey from England in 1842. Blacket died just fourteen months before the cathedral was finished, and his sons completed the work in 1884.

His granddaughter, Gladys, presented the crucifix to the Vice-Dean in 1934 to hang here as a sign that "we preach the faith of Christ crucified"

Somthing of interest...............
From Blacket's diary on board ship:

"Friday, September 30, 1842 - I have been carving a little at my crucifix and hope to get it done before we get to Sydney. My little monkey is a great hindrance for when I am carving, drawing or writing, he is ever on my shoulder to snatch up my tools, and bites off the points of my pencils and splits my pens." I guess he was talking about a real Monkey?

Looked like a bank, became a bank

by iandsmith

This was built by a local builder called George Bates in the style of a bank for a prominent businessman called Arthur Bryant Triggs. Just a few years later, in 1915, he moved his offices to Sydney and the buliding lay vacant for 15 years except for the flanking shops when it was purchased by the Union Bank.
It later became the ANZ bank until 1997 when it became one of the casualties of the times of rural bank closures.
Today it houses one of the local parliamentarians.

Corner blocks

by iandsmith

It's sometimes amazing what one dredges up when researching. Dimmeys (pic 1) claims to be the oldest stores in Australia. I'd never even heard of them!
In 1853, the drapery store known as Dimelow & Gaylard was established in Swan St, Richmond, an inner Melbourne suburb. Locals soon nicknamed the store Dimmeys and by the turn of the century the popular name had stuck so the owners registered Dimmeys Model Stores as the trading name.
On Tuesday 16th January, 2006, part of the roof collapsed in a severe storm that swept the district.
The following is from an interview of a chap who owned a confectionary store in Goulburn and this part refers to the site where Dimmeys now is:-
"After the war (WWII) I joined the 303 Rifle Club. Martin Calligan was out there and after a few years shooting with the 303 military style, we decided we'd try shooting small bore where Dimmeys Store is today. It was Rogers building in those days. Rogers was two thirds the size of what it is now and there was a laneway off Montague St and out the back there was another building and that's the building where we started small bore shooting indoors on the second floor.
It was roughly 10 metres. We had traps that we shot into. We put targets in front. At the back was a sloping piece of metal which deflected the bullets when they went through the target into a sand trap that we had made. We started with a small group and finished with about 20 and we shot once a week, mainly of a weekend. Rogers decided to expand building and we were asked to leave."

The oldest inland city in Australia

by craic

"It's Craig not Craic!"

Goulburn! Dear old Goulburn. Always had a bit of a penchant for it. It is as easy to go to Goulburn and shop as it is to go to Bowral. But we nearly always go to Bowral.
Bowral is just a bit more ... you know.
But on my last birthday I said to Matt - I want to go to Goulburn and be a tourist!
We stopped to take a pic of this place which I have noticed before.
I had a bit of a giggle at an undertakers called Craic. But I was making the same mistake so many VTers make with my nick. (Not Irish members, of course.)
"It's craic not craig!"
But I was making the mistake the other way round.
Anyway - I said to husband - "If and when, send me to those guys."
(What do I mean - if? I mean when.)

Goulburn

Odd web site I must say. For instance the Regional Art Gallery doesn't give opening hours. Maybe you have to guess. Or hope for the best.
The waterworks museum sounds like a blast!

"Across the road from the railway station"

A row of what used to be hotels and boarding houses. Convenient for the itinerant workers coming to town to spend their pay.
The Coolawin Hotel is one of my watering holes. While I am waiting for the train. Or if I decide to catch the next train. Shabby inside.
A couple of pokies no one seems to play. A couple of permanent fixtures slowly ingesting a beer. Or three. I find it very relaxing. Unwinds the mind. A couple of curious glances to contend with then you can just sink back into minding your own business.
In this row of buildings there is also a second hand bookshop. Doomed. One of those shops you walk into and you just know it won't be there next time you come to town. And an art gallery a guy has set up to sell his own work. Also doomed.
Don't know what they will be next time.
But the pub has been there for a very long time.

Up on the top of Rocky Hill.
Seen this structure everytime we have driven into Goulburn for the last twenty years. Often vaguely wondered what it was. An old water tower, maybe.
Also seen a sign - War Memorial.
So off we went to find the War Memorial.
Bit of an epic because there was only one sign. Matthew was ready to give up. But I insisted we keep on trying. As we pulled up the only hill in Goulburn it still hadn't occurred to me that there might be only one sign because you were expected to know that the big old tower on the hill that is the only landmark in the town was the War Memorial.
But that's exactly what it was. And is.

Comments