3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Rumi-fan's Profile Photo

A Nice Sea Change - for a weekend

We stayed at Peppers 'Resort for a w/e. Work paid! HIgh standard in all areas: room design and decor, food, service, all tops.

Unique Quality: Pools all over the place. One large main pool/beach. Then at the base of each block of 3 units there is a small pool.

Directions: In NSW, 20-30 mins from Coolangatta Airport in QLD. Take taxi - its easier and around $50AUD. Once at the resort, there is not need to leave.

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A true beach break !

Peppers Resort is part of the new Salt Village complex, which is on 73 hectares of land facing the Pacific Ocean. It is a new development which incorporates Peppers Resort and Outrigger Resort, Golden Door Spa, a village centre with restaurants, shops, cafes, bistro, surf club, parklands, bicycle and walking paths. A jetty and boathouse for kayaking or fishing, and a luxury beach residential area with private homes and units.

Our one bedroom suite 6116 is on ground level overlooking the lagoon pool. The suite is brand new and beautifully designed. The suite has a small gallery kitchen with stove, microwave, fridge, cooking utensils and crockery. The lounge room consists of a modern lounge suite, colour plasma TV, CD player, and a dining suite. The bedroom consists of queen size bed, side tables, large wardrobe with beach towels and bath robes supplied.

The bathroom is absolutely chic and modern with a spa bath, separate shower and toilet. The see through window into the bedroom adds a different style in open planning. There is also a laundry with washing machine and dyer off the kitchen.

Sliding doors lead onto a covered patio with deckchairs, table and chairs. From our room we had direct access to the swimming pool and the plunge pool was right outside our door. We thought out suite to be beautifully designed with a modern beach feel.

The resort has numerous swimming pools on each wing and some rooms have their own private plunge pools. The hotel is a three storey low rise modern building. The foyer is very modern with a slim line design which also overlooks the lagoon. Its approx a three minute walk to the beach, shops, cafes, ATM, and surf club, most of the rooms look over the pools but some do face the street.

The resort has bicycles to use; a beach house is also available for rent, which would be fabulous for a family. There is one main restaurant which is expensive but the food is fabulous. For something cheaper try the Salt bistro located on the oceanfront.

Unique Quality: We did really enjoy our stay here, although it is new and slightly isolated from the local town. It is approx 5 minutes drive into Kingscliff and a 15-20 minute drive to Coolangatta airport. There is no public transport from Salt Village into town. The beach is gorgeous, long and sleek which is patrolled yearly. This resort would certainly suit young families or couples who are looking for a beach holiday.

More about Peppers Salt Resort & Spa Kingscliff

Sensational Salt

by TripAdvisor Member Wisey29226

We stayed at this lovely spot for 5 nights in January after flying in to Coolangatta and driving south. We were initially a little concerned due to the amount of development that was happening in the area and the fact that the resort had only opened the month before. However, on arrival we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment with a private plunge pool. The room and facilities were top class. Highly recommended but make sure you have your own transport as you are a fair way from things apart from the small group of shops and restaurants which are overpriced.

The salt of the earth

by TripAdvisor Member cestella

My partner and I stayed at this resort for 2 nights for our anniversary in August 2007.

Pro’s:
- Every room was a self contained apartment. There was a kitchen, washer, dryer, stove, microwave, fridge and all the usual hotel arrangements. The room was stocked with cooking utensils, cutlery, towels, toiletries and washing liquids.
- Room service was completed every day before lunch (well our rooms was).
- Replenished towels, tea, coffee, biscuits, washing detergents and toiletries every day.
- Awesome pool area with direct access from our room
- Ducted air conditioning / heater
- Bathroom was massive although did not agree with the shower toilet configuration.
- All bathroom had spa bath facilities so you could run a warm bath at the end of the day
- Direct access to the beach
- Just across from the resort are a few places to eat, drink and do some grocery shopping if you want to cook food in your room.
- Safe in each room to store your personal belongings
- Overall resort design was aesthetically pleasing and well though of. For example although open floor designed we could walk throughout this resort without getting wet.

Con’s:
- We were located on the ground floor so to ensure people could not see inside your room you had to draw down all your blinds which was unfortunate cause we wanted the fresh air in.
- Cable tv was limited in channels
- It rained while we were there
- Resort restaurant menu was very expensive and wasn’t very versatile
- Breakfast was included with our accommodation but overhearing the front desk was charging $25 per person. My opinion breakfast although had a bit of everything was pretty bland.
- Work conferences were being held during the time and made our stay a bit uncomfortable. We felt like we were intruding on their conference cause there was so many of them.
- Staff was mostly back packers so a lot of them didn’t know the area much so could provide any info when questioned over certain locations. Some staff seemed uninterested in serving their guest especially the morning staff.
- Gym room was a basement with old equipment. It comprised of one treadmill, a rowing machine, a bike and a weight machine.

Recommendation
- Walk the whole 4km Kingscliff beach front during the morning or late afternoon. Sea breeze is refreshing and really clears your mind
- Having lunch at Salt Bar food was terrific. You can tell professional caterers prepared the meals as the quality was delicious. Drinks are relatively cheap too I live in Sydney so drinks in the City are about $8 anything less in my opinion is a bargain
- Book a treatment with Golden Door, you wont be disappointed. Bring your cosies to take full advantage of the spa and steam room.
- Hire a bike and explore the area.
- Go down to the creek and hire a kayak
- Drive down south a further 20 minutes to Byron Bay for a little more night life, shopping, more food and another great beach location
- Drive around and check out the massive homes near by. I dare you walk into a sales office and see if you can afford to purchase one of the beach front homes in the area.

Would I stay here again? Definitely! My partner and I were so impressed by this area that we were tempted to purchase a place of our own. Will be coming back at this resort again in summer when the sun is out and they charge double rates.

Relaxing bliss

by TripAdvisor Member SydneySusy

Stayed here 3 nights - needed a place to unwind and this was perfect! So peaceful and yet everything you need is moments away. We had booked a hotel room and were upgraded to a 1 bed aptmt, which was very comfortable - all the modern conveniences and well-appointed kitchen! Broadband access was $50 for 3 days which was reasonable given it was a good connection. Comfy beds and pillows (thank heavens - so sick of high, hard pillows!). We were on the top floor above reception overlooking the main pool. The pool is lovely - heated water, sand area, cool lounges, umbrellas and a lifeguard!

Lunch service by the pool was very slow, but the conference they were hosting may not have helped things. Also didn't like having to walk through the conference members as they ate breakfast in order to go for an early dip - but hey, that's their problem!

Salt village across the road is great. Tried 3 restaurants - all very good and another just opened on our last night. Salt Bar is great for lunch or dinner (yummy prawn & fennel bisque) and good value. Park area great for kicking a ball or having a BBQ. Excellent place for families, with lots of walking/biking tracks - and a beach with the finest white sand (sigh)...

Didn't try the golden door spa but went into Kingscliff for a massage and coffee. Extra restaurants here for more options. I think there's a shuttle from C'gatta airport to Salt, but recommend a car to get out and explore.

Overall I loved this place as it was just what i was after - well-appointed peaceful surroundings away from the bustle of grotty Surfers, where you can do as much (or as little) as you want. Would definitely return.

Was expecting more from Peppers

by TripAdvisor Member miss_piggy1Brisbane

The night didnt start off too well, considering that we were arriving quite late driving from QLD, and we could not find the entrance to the Peppers property and went straight to the well lit Mantra property right next door. They were more than helpful with our mishap and led us in the right direction. We then arrived at Peppers and were advised to park our car in undercover parking - which must be where they also keep their rubbage (because there was a consistant bin smell).

I contacted this property directly because I had heard some rave reviews from friends. I spoke at length with Reservations and they were more than helpful with any enquiries I had. I did put in some requests for a high floor room with nice views, and although the pool views were nice, we were put on the middle floor right next to the elevator - I understand that requests cannot be guaranteed, but it seems unfortunate that we could not have been in another room considering the property seemed no where near full.

The reception staff were nice enough, however just there to "do their job" - whilst the weekend was consistenly splashed with rain, there were some beautiful times of sunshine and on one occasion my partner and I decided to go out for a bicycle ride. When we approached the front office, they looked to be in a hurry (this was around checkin time) and the lady the served us asked us if we wanted helmets. As we were just going to be riding around the property I asked if the tracks were safe enough to ride without one, with this question and I was told "its the law", so I preceded to ask why she bothered to ask us in the first place - no response was met.

Dinner in the evening was also a little disappointing. At no point during our stay were we advised that a reservation would be required for dinner, and when we arrived at Roughie's at 8o'clock we were lucky to get a table. The meals were lovely, despite having to wait 40 minutes for them to arrive.

Unfortunately we also had a disappointing experience at the Golden Door Spa (we had pre-booked a 'Couples Spa Treatment'). When we arrived we were rushed through a brief orientation and then told to wait upstairs with our gowns on. My partner was taken about 5 minutes before me and then I was taken into another room. There was quite a few people that had been taken in before me, so I thought that maybe there was no room for couples massage. When we had finished our massages I went to front counter and told them that I had booked a couples massage. One lady said that if I would have told them it was supposed to be a couples massage they would have put us in together. I told them this is what i originally booked and I didnt want to interrupt my partners massage because he went in 5 minutes before me - again I was met with silence and the lady answered an incoming phone call.

Overall our stay was pleasant, but wasnt up to the standard that I would have expected from a Peppers property. The service was average and for the price we were paying for meals and accommodation, my partner and I were less than impressed.

Disappointing stay

by TripAdvisor Member Jokate

We stayed at Peppers Salt for 5 nights and it was a disappointing experience in many ways.
Firstly we booked on the internet through Stella resorts 6 weeks in advance and paid in full up front. On arrival the hotel had no knowledge of our booking or suite request for an upper floor. As they were booked out with a conference we had no alternative other than to accept a ground floor suite. The apartment itself was modern, spacious and well-equipped but not well situated...looking on to a carpark.!

The conference took over the place and on two nights we were subjected to loud/ music and entertainment until just after 1am. The NSW State noise laws obviously do not apply here.
The housekeeping in the room was very poor for this level of accomodation. Our sheets were not changed once during our 5 day stay.

If it wasn't for the kms of glorious deserted beaches to walk along and the wonderful food from the restaurant 'Fins' in the Salt complex I'd recommend giving this area a miss and heading for Byron and the excellent 'Byron on Byron' resort or Noosa.

Not 5 Star!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member luclen

We spent 6 nights at Salt over New Years 2007/2008. We booked a 1 bedroom suite with breakfast including. We booked through Stellar Resorts 11 months ago. We had requested a pool view ground floor apartment as we have a 2 yr old toddler who loves to climb. We were given the complete opposite - mountain view on a high floor. We told reception we booked 11 months ago, and told them we have rung about 5 times during the year letting them know of our requests. They said too bad, the units were strata managed and owners were all staying in the pool view rooms..........The suite was beautiful though, perhaps on the small side, but very high quality. The view was overlooking houses being built.

The breakfast was ok, nothing fancy. The made to order ommlettes were yummy!!!! Coffee horrible, even at the pool bar. Resturants in Salt Village were average quality.

The pools were lovely, beach great, and we hired bikes and rode into Kingscliff everyday about 15 minutes away - our toddler loved sitting in the child seat on the back of the bike.

We had terrible weather there due to cyclones up North, and this made it boring at times. We stayed 6 nights which in my opinion was too long - I think 3 nights would be enough there.

Would we stay again? Maybe. We always stay in 4 and 5 star rated accommodation as we enjoy luxury accomodation and excellent service , but Salt disappoints and the resort does not deserve or live up to its its 5 star rating. The customer service lets it down.

Nice but overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member AKDetours

My partner and I took his parents to Peppers for a pre-Christmas visit this December. We wanted a 2 bedroom suite and the reservation agent suggested that we book a "beach house" at their Balé property so that we would have more privacy. It was difficult to get an idea of the difference between the two properties because the website for Peppers is not very good - it has much more information about buying timeshares than about the resort. So we took the advice of the agent thinking that we might like to be in a little house on the beach. We requested that our beach house be directly on the beach as we heard some of them were slightly off the beach.
When we arrived we accidentally went straight to the regular Peppers resort and it took us a few minutes to find someone who could redirect us towards the Balé entrance. When we did arrive after a few more minutes someone met us with an umbrella (it was raining!) and escorted us in to the lobby. They valet parked the car and brought our luggage directly to the room while we enjoyed a cocktail in the lobby.
When we were escorted to our "beach house" we were disappointed to see that it wasn't a beach house at all, but just a large hotel room. It was nice and very spacious, although there was one Master suite with a nice jacuzzi bathroom and the other bedroom and bathroom were small with twin beds and no jacuzzi - not ideal for 2 adult couples. Further, our "beach front" room was still across a walkway and yard to the beach and we could barely even see the ocean from our windows. Not a big deal, but they shouldn't describe it as beach front.
Guests at the Balé resort have their own nice (but smaller) pool and jacuzzi area, and are able to use the larger pool at the regular Peppers resort just next door. Unfortunately it was cold and rainy the entire time we were there, so we didn't get to use the beach and pool as much as we would have liked. The jacuzzi at the Balé resort was also broken for most of the time we were there. There was very little for us to do without outdoor activities - I think the resort could have done more to accommodate people on a beach vacation that couldn't go to the beach!
The staff was nice but mostly uninformed and hard to find. There is a little espresso bar in the Balé lobby that wasn't open the entire time we were there. It was often difficult to find someone to order a drink from at the pool area as well. On one occasion, we asked the front desk person if there was a video library at the resort or somewhere nearby (to pass the rainy days!) and he directed us to one in Kingscliff village that he said might be difficult to get a membership at for a one-night rental. Oddly, he didn't mention that there are tons of complementary on-demand movies included in the room which we managed to figure out ourselves... just strange that he wouldn't have suggested that first. When we wanted to check out it took us about 10 minutes to locate ANY staff member in the lobby who could help us. It happened to be a cleaning person - it then took that person another 5 or so minutes to locate a front desk person... this at peak check-out time!
As far as food goes, the developed "Salt Village" next to the resort has a few decent dining options (Thai, italian, seafood, bar) although they are a little bit overpriced. Kingscliff village also has some cute restaurants a bit further away.
Overall if the weather had been nicer we would have had a very pleasant stay. Our main criticism is that for the price of a super luxury resort we expected much better service, 2 full size suites in our "beach house" (not a 'kids room' and a master suite), and that our beach house was actually a house and not just a big hotel room. There should also be a better business center and cheaper/free internet access in the rooms. For that price to then have to pay $30 per day for internet access (only wifi available in the lobby) is excessive.

Pepper and Salt - Sweet and Sour

by TripAdvisor Member thomasthetank01

Note: That after writing the following letter to Peppers, we did not even receive an appropriate response.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to voice my dis-satisfaction with your Salt resort and Spa.

In my view after visitiing other Peppers resorts, this resort does not deserve the Pepper name!

On arrival we noticed that the car spaces which are marked for 2 cars do not adequately acommodate two vehicles and consequently had to park in a disabled bay.

Following check in, neither of our swipe card keys were working resulting in a trip back down to reception. I noticed that the entertainment unit and TV were not functioning and these were fixed the following morning.

Each balcony has a beautiful view of the other balcony's rather than any beach as outlined in the promotional material.

Discover the ultimate in beach holiday accommodation at the newly opened Peppers Salt Resort & Spa on Kingscliff Ocean Beach.

(Note: this resort is not on the beach at all !!!!)

Swipe cards failed twice more during our stay resulting in several visits to reception.

There was quite a bit of rain during our stay, the walkway to the Roughies restaurant was not well covered and consequenly my wife slipped over twice on the way to breakfast. (Note: The wrong paving tiles have been used in this area).

I enquired about cutting our stay short and was advised that there could be no refund offered for this.

I cannot say how disappointed we were with both the service, and the venue and found your promotional material to be very misleading.

Comments