Comfort Inn Lake Macquarie

Lake Macquarie Motor Inn
Booking.com eDreams Despegar.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Newcastle

Panorama of part of the Honeysuckle areaPanorama of part of the Honeysuckle area

Flaggy CreekFlaggy Creek

The BeaconThe Beacon

Newcastle No. 1 Sportsground (No.1 son batting)Newcastle No. 1 Sportsground (No.1 son batting)

MOVING TO NEWCASTLE **** I NEED YOUR ADVICE

by vegvaryvegvary

I am living in NZ and am moving to Newcastle QLD on 03 December 2006. My aim is to go there by myself and get full-time work. At that stage my aussie hubby and 2 re schoolers will move over. I need work in customer service/call centre work/reception etc. Location is a must for work as initally we wont have transport. The location I would like would be near town and near a day care centre but need to take into account housing. We will be renting so dont want to pay anymore than $220 weekly for a 2-3 bedroom house. Any ideas or hints for moving. what area are the best to live and the safest? What's the best way to find work? email me pleassssssssssssseeeeeee on jackiecarey@xtra.co.nz

Thanks heaps guys!

by FleurFox

Hi there.
My advice is to look at the website whereis.com which has maps of Australia.
I think you will find that Newcastle is in New South Wales and nowhere near QLD.
Work wise, the website www.seek.com.au is a great resource for online job hunting.

I think that if you want to move to Queensland, you need to pick another town to move to :)

by colin_bramso

Agreed, I only know Newcastle in NSW, I haven't heard of one in Qld. It's not big, but it's Australia's sixth largest city.

Finding a job is the same as anywhere - you can check out the job websites, the newspaper classified ads online, and of course check the papers when you arrive and also go into employment agencies.

For rents you can check www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au

by iandsmith

We'll start off by assuming that you mean Newcastle N.S.W., otherwise you could be lost in outback Queensland.
If that's the case then it's actually the 8th largest town in Australia (we slipped Col, Surfers and, can you believe it, Canberra got us). Transport's not such a major drama as you're never really that far from anywhere else. There's a lot of day care centres so you shouldn't have much trouble there either.
I would suggest a couple of suburbs as being reasonable for your needs. Adamstown, Highfields, Broadmeadow and Hamilton are all handy suburbs but there are many others (too numerous to list here) that you might consider.
When you get into town and settled, feel free to contact me for a cuppa, always assuming I'm not away in my motorhome of course.
Cheers, Ian

by vegvaryvegvary

Hi guys, soory I did mean NSW. Was in a rush when I was typing it and looking at a map at the time. Love to hear more replies :)

RE: RE: MOVING TO NEWCASTLE **** I NEED YOUR ADVICE

by colin_bramso

I missed that Ian, slipping down the league table! It doesn't vhange the place though does it.

Travel Tips for Newcastle

Take advantage of the many...

by MegSmith252

Take advantage of the many beaches and restaurants. I always take visitors to Redhead beach, about four kilometres away. It is a magnificent beach and some of its sand can be found on beaches in Hawaii. The Newcastle Lake Macquarie city is large about 500,000 people but it has the atmosphere of a country town. The people of Newcastle are great. They are generous and for the most part honest.
An earthquake devastated the city in 1989 - there was no looting and people pulled together to work for the city.

Does the word "envy" mean anything to you?

by iandsmith

Imagine, you live just over the back of the hill from where this was taken and you get to walk along this beach a couple of times a week, or, in my partner's case, 5 or six times a week.
As Lonely Planet says, "Newcastle, the Hunter's major city, is an absolute surprise and delight; reaping the rewards of an urban renewal program. It's become downright pretty, with surf beaches that have some of the best breaks on the coast." It's all part of why I love Newcastle. The lifestyle just doesn't get any better. Strolling along the pavement or walking the sands, saying "hello" or "g'day" to those passing by. You can feel the stress ebbing with the tide.
It's hard to believe, by those who live here, that we ever had the image of a sooty industrial city. I've been here over 50 years and the image shown here has always been available, along with a dozen other beaches.
This is a picture I recommend you blow up. Conditions just don't get any better than this.

Bon voyage

by iandsmith

Sitting at one of the harbourside restaurants watching the ships arrive/depart, as mentioned elsewhere, is something I like doing. You can just about guarantee that during any stint at a cafe at least one will pass by and they are seriously big. Somehow they never seem as big side on but, when you see one from the front you get some idea of the massive bulk of the coal carriers.
The tugs in pic 3 are actually being pulled sideways. The extraordinary thing about this picture is that within 48 hours of when it was taken there was the mother of all storms; in fact, the one that put the Pasha Bulker on Nobbys Beach shore. Talk about the calm before the storm!

When you look at the so called...

by RamSter

When you look at the so called SKYLINE of Newcastle, you find it to be a true piece of Europe yet it has the edge of San Francisco with its Victorian styled buildings and STEEP ASCENTS up to others streets.

Green Point

by skatzcatz

near to the suburb of Belmont, Green Point is a nice spot for a stroll, picnic or to read a book on the shores of Lake Macquarie. Set amongst the shade of eucalypts with birds singing and lush grass to walk or rest upon i found this to be a nice spot away from the city bustle and ocean winds.

For most people this place is just a stroll in the park, but for me it will always bring back both happy and sad memories. An angel touched me at this place.

Directions: off Crown Street slightly north of Belmont, the directions are difficult as it appears to be a driveway and not a park entrance.

Comments