Thalgara Estate

Debeyers Road, Pokolbin, 2320, Australia

More about Pokolbin

Colourful entryColourful entry

Indian Mosaic Tea GardenIndian Mosaic Tea Garden

Small section of Brokenback on nthn Broke RoadSmall section of Brokenback on nthn Broke Road

On a not so clear dayOn a not so clear day

Anyone know anyrhing about..

by DellyM

The Eaglereach Wilderness Resort in the Hunter Valley? It's in a travel brochure I've got and it looks wonderful, but we all know the perils of travel company write ups! It's advertised as an Australian nature based resort, which is just up my street. I'd really welcome any info on this place from anyone who may know anything more than the sales write up in my brochure!
Thanks in advance
Adele

Re: Anyone know anyrhing about..

by iandsmith

It's expensive and it's very good. It's not very close to anywhere which is probably what you're looking for. There are many others in the valley as well so if you can't get in there try for others.
If you can travel further afield, consider Comboyne also.
If you want any more varied suggestions, contact me or check my sites out.
Regards, Ian

Re: Re: Anyone know anyrhing about..

by aussirose

Hi Adele. We stayed at the Hunter Valley Resort. It was quite reasonable and in the thick of things. It also had its own restaurant and I can recommend the hot breakies!!! Also there's a restaurant across the road which we found most enjoyable and the good thing is, we could take our own wine (much cheaper) and didn't have to worry about driving home. We had a couple of favourite wineries too, so I'll email you later on that. Please check out my pages. Happy travels, cheers, Ann :o)

Re: Re: Anyone know anyrhing about..

by aussirose

Oh, Adele, I forgot to mention - I know from your pages, you like nature and being among flora and fauna, so I highly recommend a place called Barrington Tops Guest House just north of the Hunter Valley. That should definately be on your 'must do' list!!!! We had the best time there!!! bushwalking, rockpool swiming, feeding the possoms, there's even a natural rock slide and they even have barrington olympics lol!!! and guess what!!! the food is all inclusive....... 3 hearty countrystyle meals a day, and believe me, when you do all those wonderful activities, you need it!!! Cheers, Ann :o)

Travel Tips for Pokolbin

Hunter Valley countryside

by aussirose

The Hunter Valley countryside is really pretty. Apart from the vines everywhere, there is pockets of natural Australian bush and lots of nice dams. Here is the view looking down from The Mill, a nice restaurant we went to across the road from our accommodation.

Why mistletoe?

by aussirose

My husband explained that Mistletoe is a parasite plant that attaches itself on trees and eventually kills them. So I was fascinated as to why this winery would call themselves Mistletoe vinyard. When I asked them they said that the whole hill used to be called Mistletoe hill due to the mistletoe in the area. Here is a picture of some mistletoe. See the red stuff hanging down off the tree?
Interesting hey :o)