Thompsons Road, Pokolbin, 2320, Australia
Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia
Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com Travelocity

More about Pokolbin

Vines in front of the chapelVines in front of the chapel

Broken View Estate, Pokolbin NSWBroken View Estate, Pokolbin NSW

Main EntranceMain Entrance

No golf at the moment, just sunsetsNo golf at the moment, just sunsets

Travel Tips for Pokolbin

How white wine is matured

by aussirose

We did a wine school at the Hunter Valley Resort where we stayed for the week.
Here is a pic of a big vat in which white wine is kept. Young whites are matured for about 6 weeks. Reds take much longer and they do them in oak casks.

Grandma's Garden

by iandsmith

Grandma's Garden is the sculpture set inside the rose garden that features more than 8,000 roses in a corkscrew design. In the background is the Sunken Garden with the Waterfall behind, overseen by the Waterfall Lookout.
So much to see, so much to do.

Heart of the Hunter Valley Wine Region

by aussiedoug

"But not a town as such"

Yes dear reader Pokolbin is not a town or city as such, but is I believe very much the heart of the Hunter Valley Wine Region.

If you're interested in learning a bit more of this area's history then drop by my friend iandsmith's Pokolbin page where he goes into quite a bit of detail given he comes from just down the road in Newcastle.

Dare I say yet again here on VT, "Funny how things happen". I say this in respect to the Hunter Valley because even though I've now been living in Sydney going on 30 years I know the Barossa Valley (in South Australia) pretty well. I know Rutherglen (in Victoria near where my wife's family comes from on the NSW/Vic border) really well. I/We've also visited the Clare Valley (South Australia), the Yarrra Valley (Victoria) & Margaret River (in Western Australia). Yet, we've only driven through parts of the Hunter on ou way somewhere else so know it barely in comparison to the other Australian wine regions I've mentioned above.

"Getting to know it better"

So. leading on from above, these last schoo holidays I thought we could get to know the Hunter Valley a little better.

On our way north we had a half day in the Hunter &, after visiting the Information Centre we had lunch at Harrigan's Irish Pub then pushed on to drive through Wliderness Road, Lovedale with the intention of visiting Ogishi Glass Works then Emma's Cottage Vineyards plus a couple of others.

But, yes you knew that was coming didn't you, being a Tuesday, neither of those places was opened.so we kept driving along Wilderness Road to we came to the lovely little spot you can see in this photo. Wandin Valley Estate Wines. After tasting a range of their wines we ended up buying a mixed dozen of whites & reds.

"Staying ovenight on the way back south"

When it was time for my twin girls & I to head back to Sydney I thought we'd have a night in the Hunter Wine Region & a day exploring to get to know it better & develop a better feel for it.

I discovered that much of the accommodation is not overly suited to travelling with twin 6 year old girls. So much is B&B's & lots of upmarket options for couple and/or groups of people. The bigger resorts were the only ones so this gave me a choice of 3 that were reasonably affordable. Ringing the Hunter Resort on Thursday afternoon for a Friday night stay saw an offer of a room for $110 (down from the rack rate of $190) for a night's stay & including a Winery Tour (on-site) which I was unfortunately not abel to avail myself of because children under 10 were not allowed.

This was a good choice of accommodation as it was in the opposite corner of the Hunter to which we had passed through & week & a half earlier on our way north. Also there were about half a dozen wineries & about 3 galleries I wanted to visit either a short drive before there or not too far after there.

Yes, I'm getting to know, & appreciate, the Hunter Valley Wine Region a lot better already & am looking forward to us having a weekend up there sooner rather than later.

Comments