The Beachfront Regency Motor Inn

A Nice NeighbourhoodA Nice Neighbourhood

Travel Tips for Port Macquarie

The Werrikimbe experience

by iandsmith

Werrikimbe National Park lies about an hour inland from Port Macquarie. If you don't like dirt roads, don't go. There's a lot of them.
Initially you can either go in through Beechwood or turn off near Yarras on the Oxley Highway, the latter offers more tar but the dirt in from there is often worse, as was the case on my last trip in though I did a loop, coming in through Beechwood and out through Yarras.
It was a near perfect spring day and I had the whole place to myself. Since I'd thoughtfully (not) left my map at home, I was winging it somewhat though I had been there before some years ago.
I knew Plateau Beech offered an excellent walk but I thought I'd try somewhere else first. I followed a sign to Banda Banda. Mistake. After about 2kms the road intersected without any indication as to what track led where. I chose the left option. Mistake number 2. You really couldn't call it a road.
After all, when there's moss where you'd normally expect tyre tracks, leaf laden branches start flicking you in the face through your driver's side window and the vegetation between the tracks is higher than your sump, you can fairly assume that this is a road less travelled.
I chickened out and returned to the Brushy Mountain area.
The first picture shows me back on a more-main road, the second at the picnic area and the third is of an echidna that was on the road before I came along.

Tacking Point Lighthouse

by iandsmith

In the early to mid 19th Century the main contact for the coastal towns of the north coast of New South Wales was sea transport. There were no roads and the railways were only just beginning to track their way north.
There were few coastal lights and in the Tacking Point area more than 20 wrecks had occurred, the first being the schooner "Black Joe" in 1823, followed by the steamer "Sumatra" in the same year.
In 1879 a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1000 candle power was erected on Tacking Point.
The structure is built of cement-rendered bricks and because of the elevation and exposed nature of the point, it only needed to be 8 metres high. Crowdy Head Lighthouse, about 30 kilometres south, is of the same design.
The apparatus was converted from wick oil light in 1919 to automatic acetylene operation.
As a result of automation the keepers were withdrawn after 40 years of service.
The foundations of the keeper's cottage can still be seen.
The light was converted to mains electricity in 1974 and it has a range of 16 nautical miles.
Today, the point and its lighthouse have become a tourist attraction, offering wonderful sea views as lighthouses are wont to do and you'll invariably find the small carpark busy.

SECOND PORT OF CALL

by unravelau

"Port Macquaire - Another sunny stopover"

Originally when I set off from home (Coffs Harbour) I was thinking to travel to Sydney to visit the rels for a few days. Well as I approached Nambucca Heads I thought........I will just pop in for a quick visit here and a look around. Well, I spent so much time looking around that it was heading for dark so I thought....ok, I had better stay the night. I did. A similar thing happened the next day when I finally got on the road again.

I was driving into Port Macquarie, silently calculating how many years that it had been since I had been there, when I came to a detour sign........There was a lot of traffic and I didn't recognize any landmarks so just followed the leader and out back onto the main road to Port Mac proper. It wasn't until I was again ensconced in a nice motel (later on) that I caught the news for the detour. A man had had an accident and wrapped himself around a pole or tree while travelling at high speed. He had killed himself unfortunately and so I had just chosen the short time after the accident to head into Port.

I was amazed at how Port Macquarie had grown...well after all it had been many, many years since my last visit. I just stuck to the main road and did a quick trip around marvelling at the numerous apartment buildings on the seaside and the various signs to other shopping centres.. It was quite a shock to the system, so out the other end I thought, 'where to now?'. Next I found myself on the way to Wauchope.....pronounced warhope...thinking about Timber Town another place that I haven't been for many years.

"What magnificent views there are to be had here"

Looking south from the headland. Behind me can be seen the front row of high rise apartments to accommodate the thousands of visitors that Port Macquarie must have on a daily basis. I was really surprised to see how huge the place is now compared to when I last visited.

Comments