Alfred Park Hotel

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 68 reviews
Expedia.com Booking.com
FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo

Budget accommadation in Sydney.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 16, 2010

I spent an enjoyable week here in September 2006. I had a double ensuite room all to myself! €42 per night. It was clean, comfortable and quiet with friendly helpful staff.

Directions: 5 minute walk from Central Train Station - just opposite Prince Alfred Park on Cleveland St. Take the Chalmers St exit from Central Station and walk through the park.

CALL TO BOYCOTT ALFRED PARK ACCOMODATION

by written on July 6, 2008

I am 26 and have been to over 100 hostels in my life, but this one has to be the worst I've been in my life! It is soooo dirty full of bugs and without any atmosphere. Everyone we met i the hostel were bit by bed bugs that was disgusting.

There was even complaints from a traveler of the owner hasseling her and was agressive! Seing another post on this forum stating the owner has been Racisit doesn't surprise me! Well with us he has been very annoying when we told him we found bugs in the room he said we were liars and told us he would raise the price of the room to make us leave!!!!!!!! Can you imagine that how unprofessional that is!!! we are nothing but normal and respectful travelers! We do not recommend this place, it is in a dangerous neiborhood and is not managed right with an owner that is agresive and racist, which us as travelers should not encourage.

If you had problems at this hotel you are welcome to report it in this website.

Theres hundreds of good hostels in sydney it wont be hard to find, try Bondi Beachhouse YHA in Bondi which is an AMAZING place!

Unique Quality: As traverlers we should not encourage a place which is run by racist, sexist and agressive attitudes and I call every traveller not to encourage these action by BOYCOTTING this hotel. There seems to be MANY complaints of several traveller about this.

If you had problems at this hotel you are welcome to report it in this website.

Directions: About 15 minutes walk back of the train station,

The area is dangerous watch out!

mickshe's Profile Photo

feel at home

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 15, 2008

I stayed at Alfred park accomodation hostel in a single ensuite room. The staff are nice and accomodate all my needs. The people who stayed there are also nice most of them are students with a holiday work visa and some are couples doing business in sydney. I think i was the only tourist stayed there at that time.

Unique Quality: The good thing about this place is they have their own kitchen complete with all the cooking ware and all the things you need for cooking but of course you have to buy what the food you have to cook. Breakfast in not included.

Bad Hotel

by written on July 24, 2007

The hotel isn't in Surry Hills as someone else said; it's in Redfern and a pretty dodgy spot to boot. I staid there recently as part of my travels and found the staff to be extremely unhelpful, with the reception closed much of the time. Our room had no soap or towels and we only received these after requesting them from the reception (closed at the time. Had to ring a number to have them come down). Additionally, they make you sign a waiver to say that if you set off one of their ridiculously fragile smoke alarms in your room, you have to pay for the automated firetruck call out. The waiver says that deodorant and talcum powder have been known to set off the alarms in the past.

Lastly, our room had what looked like a pack of 3 month old sausages in the freezer in our room and during our stay the towels were not changed once.

I would avoid.

Racist owner

by written on March 9, 2007

I stayed at the Alfred Park Hostel earlier this year and I found the owner to be a racist and have a split personality. Some days he would ignore me despite the fact I was staying there for some length of time, other days he would begrudgingly acknowledge me. What made me leave the hostel was when he told me he hated, and I quote, "F***ing English people". He then told me he especially hated me. At the time I was merely asking for washing powder. He obliged and came back with a half measure and told me that it was one dollar. I paid him. He then told me that next time it would be double the price to me. I can guarantee you that he was sincere in what he said, and I had a witness at the time who was using the free internet in the entrance hall.

I find the owner offensive, and after what he said, he can only be described as a racist.

I work as a teacher in the UK and would never expect any of my pupils to speak in a way like the owner, a grown man supposedly, did to me.

I left the next day to continue me travels and passed on the message to everyone I met.

SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value hotel near Central Station

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 29, 2006

I stayed at Alfred Park Hotel for 10 nights in April 2006.

I paid 59 AUD (approx. 23 GBP) per night for a private single room with en-suite facilities.

Location:

This hotel is located in the Surrey Hills area of Sydney, overlooking Prince Alfred Park. It is a 5 minute walk (through the park) to the Central Station, a 15 minute walk to Hyde Park, 15-20 minutes walk to Chinatown and George Street and a little under 30 minutes walk to Sydney Harbour. I used to walk to and from Sydney Harbour each day, but there are public transport options available if you don't fancy the long walk.

Room:

My private single room was fairly spacious, with 2 single beds, a desk and chair, a television, a fridge, a fan and a clothes hanger. The room was clean when I arrived, but there was no maid service at all during my 10 nights stay. You will have to take your litter into the communal kitchen and put it in one of the bins in there.

The en-suite bathroom contained a toilet, a sink and a large walk-in shower. Hot water was available 24 hours a day. No towels or toiletries (except toilet roll) were provided by the hotel.

Hotel facilities and staff:

The hotel is located in a characteristic old house. It has a large balcony on the first floor, overlooking the park and Sydney's skyline. This seemed to be a popular place for travellers to meet in the evenings with a few bottles of beer. The hotel offers private single and double rooms as well as dorm rooms. For those staying in the dorm rooms there is a communal kitchen area, shared bathrooms and a laundry room.

The reception area is staffed between 8am and 9pm. Guests are given a front door key in order to enter the property outside of these hours. The reception area houses plenty of brochures, fliers, maps and other useful tourist information. The staff were always happy to answer my questions about sights and public transport options.

Unique Quality: .

Internet access is available from a single computer in reception, but seemed to be occupied by somebody during the entire duration of my stay (regardless of the time of day or night!). I frequently saw other guests sitting on the sofas in reception and accessing the Internet via their own laptops. There is a pay phone in reception for guests to use, but there are no phones in the bedrooms.

There is a vending machine in reception with a selection of soft drinks, chocolate bars and snacks. Breakfast is not available from the hotel.

I would summarise this hotel as follows:

Pros:

Good location - the hotel is located in a quiet parkside location, but is just a 5 minute walk from the main train station. The walk through Prince Alfred park is pleasant.

Value for money - this is a very good value for money hotel given the convenient location and the well-furnished rooms. I got a room with its own bathroom, a fridge and a TV for a similar price to what I was being quoted for a basic room with shared facilities in other hotels.

Cons:

Lack of maid service - my room wasn't cleaned and my bed sheets weren't changed for the entirity of my 10 night stay.

Lack of towels and toiletries - you will not be given a bath towel or any toiletries in the bathroom. In this respect, Alfred Park Hotel is more like a hostel than a hotel.

A long way from Sydney Harbour - while the location is convenient in so far as it is near Central Station, it is a 30 minute walk to Sydney Harbour.

A good value budget hotel located near Central Station. Best suited to backpackers who can live without the need for luxuries, but like a little privacy.

Directions: Located in the Surrey Hills area of the city, overlooking Alfred Park. 5 minutes walk from Central Station.

Nearby Alfred Park Hotel

Alfred Park Hotel

• Alfred Park Hotel Sydney

Address: 207 Cleveland St, Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales, 2016, Australia

6 Photos of Alfred Park Hotel

View Professional Photos

Sydney Travel Forum

Need advice about Sydney, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sydney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sydney hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Carlton Crest Hotel Sydney
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Medina Grand Sydney
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Metro Hotel Sydney (300 Pitt Street.)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Local Customs
Central Coast
Sun / Sunburn
Warnings and Dangers
You may never want to leave!
Really way out of Sydney