All Seasons Premier Menzies Hotel

The Menzies Sydney
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Not as described.

The location is ideal. Close to transport and shopping.
    The service is not ideal.
    The towels and robes were very poor quality. Some had holes in them. the bed linen was also old and very well worn. The service was poor.
    There were a variety of unpleasant odors coming thorugh the vents.
    The hotel advertises as non=smoking, however the guests smoke in their rooms.
    On the whole an unpleasant experience in a prime location.

• sufr54's Profile Photo

Sydney's Best Located Downtown Hotel

We already had a hotel in Sydney, but it was to far from all of the main attractions, with a little research we found the Menzies Hotel on Carrington St.

What a stroke of luck for us. A beautiful hotel in the old Grand Style with marble floors, rich deep hard woods everywhere and hanging chandeliers. Not that this makes a hotel, but in this case it did, it just had that Grand warm feeling and you were treated that way also.

We had a wonderful room, overlooking a small park, the food was good and the staff were exceptional.

The location was fantastic for us.

Unique Quality: We were right where we wanted to be: 1 block from George St., 3 block to Circular Quay,
    6 blocks to the Opera house and the Botanical Gardens, 5 blocks to Darling Harbor, 4 blocks to the Rocks and the Sydney Bridge. Another great shopping location was just up the street at the Queen Victoria Building ( http://www.sydney.com.au/qvb.htm ).

Out the front entrance was an entrance to the Wynyard subway station which gave us access to all of Sydney. The shopping complex, underground, at the Wynyard was fantastic.

Directions: Downtown Sydney, in the heart of the city. See their web site below and click on the map for a good feeling of their location in relationship to the venues that make Sydney, Sydney.

• Customer Satisfaction+

The Menzies Sydney is very conveniently located across the road from Wynyard Station, near the major tourist attractions and in the heart of the CBD and financial district. The service at this hotel is impeccable, with all staff from the maids in housekeeping to the bar staff in the classy piano bar possessing a can do attitude always with a smile.

The facilities at this hotel are pretty much what you'd expect from a "business class" hotel, with a pool, gym and sauna. The hotel also has a pretty basic business centre with coin operated internet access ($2 for ten minutes), but of course there is internet access from the guest rooms. There are two restaurants and three bars. The service I've received from all restaurants and bars on the premesis has been exceptional. Make sure you head down to the Piano Bar on a Friday or Saturday night for a Martini and live music (requests taken).

Guest rooms are on the smallish size but are comfortable and clean. The flat screen TV is a nice touch, although the bathroom toiletries leave a lot to be desired (no toothbrush/toothpaste or shaving products to be had). My other gripe is a lack of in room safe, although there are safety deposit boxes available at reception. Tea/coffee facilities in room as is the obigatory mini-bar.

Although not the most modern hotel, The Menzies succesfully mixes class and sophistication with a level of service not normally found in Australian hotels. This hotel is in a great location, and with Wynyard station so close gives the leisure traveller access to travel beyond the CBD. Business travellers will love the location and impeccable service. Highly recommended (in fact this is my hotel of choice in Sydney).

Unique Quality: Service, service, service. This is what sets The Menzies apart from many other "business" hotels. All staff have a courteous can do attitude with nothing being too hard.

Package offers are also a big bonus at The Menzies with a Romantic Getaway Package providing excellent value ($259 providing accomodation, a bottle of sparkling Australian wine and choclates on arrival, an in room movie and room service breakfast the next morning - for 2 people).

Directions: CBD.

• My Favourite Hotel in Sydney!

Fantastic hotel in excellent location. Can walk to anywhere from here. Service is excellent. Lots of 'old world' charm, especially around Christmas. I've stayed here three years in a row and now that I know about it, I'd never stay anywhere else in Sydney.

Unique Quality: It has a indoor heated swimming pool, great views, just across the road from Wynyard Station and up the road from Krispy Kreme. There's a great arcade underneath the hotel and at Wynyard with Hungry Jacks/Maccas.

• A very pleasant stay

A quick trip to Australia and booked the Menzies on the recommendation of a friend in Hong Kong. It’s a very pleasant, older style hotel which I prefer and is right in the heart of the CBD and financial district. Nice little park across the street which my room looked over; room wasn’t huge but had everything I needed. Breakfast was a buffet and the eggs were freshly prepared and a good breakfast sausage; staff were very friendly and the housemaid was quite chirpy. Pretty good value at $185 booked on the net.

Unique Quality: Good location right in the heart of the CBD and easy access to all the attractions, retail and commercial precincts. Classic in style but moderate in price.

Directions: Right in the heart of the CBD

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Still has some class

Hope my title doesn't belittle this place, but it refers to back when the Menzies was one of the upmarket establishments in the City.

Today the lobby still reflects a lot of those times, but the rooms themselves (or at least the one I was staying in) looked as though they could do with a bit of a make over, appearing a bit tired & jaded.

I was lucky enough to pick up a good deal through the Accor Hotels website I've listed below to get a room for $147 (Australian) for the night before I was flying out to Melbourne the next morning.

Unique Quality: It has all the facilities you would expect in one of the better hotels in the city (I wouldn't put it right in the top class of city hotels though). The rooms do also have all the inclusions you would expect.

It's not quite a good spot being only 5 minutes or so walk down to Circular Quay & The Rocks.

There is an entrance to Wynyard Station right across the road from the main entrance so you have easy access to all City Circle trains for easy getting around the city. Also gives you access to all Suburban services too.

More about All Seasons Premier Menzies Hotel

6 frantic days in Sydney

The Reception staff were very good. When we arrived they had a room for us but asked if we would wait for an hour or so (time to get some lunch at an Italian across the road) so that they could give us a better room. This they did and the only slight downside was that it was on the front corner and early morning traffic could be heard. But it was clean and a good size. The self service breakfast was included and was plentiful, varied and good. It has a great location just 5 mins walk from the harbour and Opera house. I would go again

Adequate

by TripAdvisor Member Still_Searching

We stayed there for 3 nights as the price was OK (around £60 per night during the New Year period) and it was a good location. The room itself was very tired and service was a bit confused- we arrived on the second day to find all towels to be removed from the room. This was resolved after a call to reception, but no apologies followed.

Fantastic

I arrived at the Menzies on the 15th Jan 2006 early in the morning aroung 7 am. I understand that the chek in time is 2 pm but the reception cheked us in no worries..When we arrive to the room, we just love it as the room was in a descent size with the park view. Shortly after we arrived,the bag arrived..porter was very polite and gave us a very good advise about the attractions and etc...later on in the evening we were surprised as the complimentary wine was arrived around 18.30...on our departure the staff offer to store our luggage and organise transport for us to airport....

I had such a good time there..

Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member BobArbroathScotland

We arrived at this hotel after an overnight flight 7am. We were very surprised to be allocated a room immediately with no hassle. The room was at the back of the hotel but very good at night because we did not hear early morning traffic. Everything was clean and fresh and we had a very enjoyable stay for five nights The location was perfect.
Robert and Sheila Marr
Arbroath
Scotland

Noisy, indifferent service

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisBa

I stayed at the Menzies late in January 2006 on a two-day stop-over back from New Zealand.

The positive points first:
The hotel is ideally located if you come in from the airport (the station for the underground is just across the street) and it is only a few minutes walk either into the shopping areas or down to the harbour.

The downside:
The room was out to the back, so you had an office building facing you and on top of that, there was a continous humming from a giant A/C vent in the little space between the two buildings. In contrast, I couldn´t get the AC control in my room to produce anything but ice cold draught or nothing at all. The small room had a somewhat "worn" feel about it and the bathroom was pretty small, the shower was not even high enough for me to stand up in.

Staff at reception and concierge desk was a mixture between helpful/friendly and highbrowed/indifferent (sadly, more often the latter).

Did not try the breakfast and dining but went across the street to a little cafe/bakery instead.

On next stay, would chose another central city hotel.

SYDNEY HOSTELS

by sean2008

Hi,

I am soon to be arriving in Sydney and am not sure where to be staying. I want a hostel in the city or wherever it is cheap and I can get some work. Has anyone got an estimate of how much I will pay for a bed in a hostel? Also is there lots of work available? I would prefer to work outside if possible!

Thanks

by craic

a bed in a hostel dorm will cost you between $20 and $25 dollars a night - it is usually cheaper by the week

check out the bug website - backbackers universal guide - it will get you on the right track

by Anjalina

Hi

To find cheap hostal you can visit http://www.hostels.com.Here you can get good option.And i don't have any idea about work.

All the best!!

by vpas

you could also try uni lodges.there are plenty of the m in the city

by JohnMcIntosh