Altamont Hotel

207 Darlinghurst Rd, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Sydney

• craic's Profile Photo

Offbeat hotel

This is a very cool place I thought, and in a good location. On the edge of Kings Cross just at the top of Williams Street.

It's a boutique hotel - with a history as a nightclub that famous people frequented - but it is quiet and respectable now - but with .... unusual ... decor.

We had a private room for just over $100 - special offer - and upstairs there is backpacker accomodation and a pleasant roof garden.

The downstairs foyer is a bar with some original furniture I think - Mick Jagger sat in that chair - and the staff were agreeable and a little off beat too.

No amazing facilities. I don't remember that they offered breakfast - no swimming pool - but the vibe was very very cool.

I loved this place.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel and Backpackers in Kings X

The Altamont is located in a quiet part of Kings X. Though I would not recommend staying in Kings X, but if you must I suggest you stay at this place. The place is just a block away from the seedy X, so a good base if you want to stay close to that area of the city but don't want prostitues in front of the door.

The Altamont consists of a backpackers place and some very nice(-ly priced) boutique hotel rooms. The backpacker bunk bed rooms are clean and the beds comortable.

Unique Quality: The bar is a nice place to hang out with a beer and a game of pool with newly made friends.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

An interesting mix

Strange little place which caters for backpackers through to business people.

Converted from a famed club, The Altmont sales itself as a 'luxury' budget hotel, with many different levels of rooms. Dorms are on offer through to De-Luxe and the one-off The Loft. As a result, the public areas are more of the budget than the business with soft drink machines, newspaper and magazines lying around, relaxed environment of non-matching tables and chairs and overstuffed furniture.

Individual rooms vary, De-Luxe and Standard fairly similiar except for size and De-Luxe have access to a shared patio (although layout is such that there is plenty of privacy per room).

Unique Quality: Its a great location virtually on the junction of Darlinghurst/Victoria and Williams St - 5 minutes walk from King's Cross Station.

I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM STAYING HERE AGAIN.

More about Altamont Hotel

My Sydney "Home

Ï've just turned 66 and two years ago I travelled the United Kingdm and Europe for 69 days, staying at a different hotel each or every second night.
Since my return I twice stayed at the Altamont Hotel, once with one friend, the second time with two friends. Nothing in my travels compares to the friendly relaxed atmosphere and environment of the boutique style Altamont.
It's location in Darlinghurst Street, Kings Cross, makes an ideal base for any tourist activity. Although there is no restaurant in the Hotel, this is unnecessary due to the large number and variety available nearby.
One of the great features of the Altamont is the character and prices of the various rooms on offer (some with a private courtyard). A unique feature of the Altamont includes a roof-top garden space for retreat.
How great to have the opportunity for relaxing interaction with a wide variety of guests in the front area - at community breakfast, the bar, snooker table and lounges.
The staff are charming and welcoming, providing a wealth of information and assistance.
Whenever I'm in Sydney I'll always be booked in my favourite holiday "home" at the Altamont where I know like-minded guests will abide.

Great location, good place

by TripAdvisor Member LA-DCguy

I just stayed at the Altamont for seven nights following a ten-week trip around the world.

Location: I loved the location--as someone who likes to walk, it was perfect for getting around the city. If you want to use public transportation, the train is just down the street, as are the buses. It is close to nightlife and great restaurants and cafes. Great for gay or straight nightlife.

Overall Hotel Look & Feel: The hotel is not flashy or super-hip (the website makes it look a little more posh than it actually is), but it has a nice decor--somewhat minimalist (not sparce) and modern. It is really nice for a backpacker place, a little more pedestrian for someone used to fancy boutique lodgings. That said, I liked it better than some of the more "charming" boutique hotels that I saw.

Rooms: The rooms were absolutely fine--big enough, clean, and had all the basics. I actually switched rooms halfway through because I wanted one with windows as oppossed to just a terrace. There are only a dozen rooms or so, and the hotel layout means that each one is different. Because of this, I saw that each room is unique and that some rooms are better than others. That doesn't mean that any rooms are bad, but different rooms probably appeal to different types of people. If I had one big complaint about the rooms, it would be the lighting, especially in the bathrooms. But this is not a huge deal. Also, because it is winter there, it was a little chilly. The heater worked, but I could have used another blanket (but I never asked for one, so that is my fault). Each room had a table and chairs, which I think is a nice touch. Some of the rooms don't have drawers--only racks--and no closets that close, so all your clothes are on view. I didn't think this was bad, but I don't mind this modern look.

Staff: I found the staff to be very helpful. We had some problems with the reservation process that had more to do with my unwillingness to put credit card info in an email and the time differences to Sydney, and the staff was great about holding my room for me. Once on site, everyone was helpful with directions and friendly whenever I saw them.

Breakfast: OK--this is my biggest complaint. The breakfast wasn't anything special and I didn't eat it most days. I don't drink coffee or tea, and there wasn't anything else (like juice, or even water). The food was cereal and toast. It would have been nice to have had a little fruit and maybe some yogurt. In spite of this complaint, I still liked my stay and would recommend the hotel.

To put my comments in perspective, I'm a single, American, gay male, 40 years old. I have spent much time in business hotels for work (where I expect lots of amenities). i don't mind skipping some of the frills for tourist travel. When I go to resorts, however, I like lots of amenities.

Great Relaxing Time

I happened to stay at this boutique hotel in sydney, the Altamont in Darlinghurst...the host and staff went out of their way to make me feel more than comfortable...my demands were met with courtesy and attention and nothing seemed to be to much of a problem...a very enjoyable six days of accommodation...a big thank you to all at the Altamont

Loved the Altamont

by TripAdvisor Member LucyJaneOwens

We stayed at the Altamont Easter weekend and had a brilliant stay.
The hotel itself was lovely and the rooms were great, a welcome change to roughing it as we were on a budget. We stayed in a deluxe room which was great value and not much more than most Sydney hostels.
The staff, Alan and Liam , were extremely friendly and helpful and were very accommodating to us.
We would definitely recommend the hotal to others and would love to go back there some time ourselves.

our stay at the Altamont

by TripAdvisor Member wiebir

The Altamont, Sydney

We selected the Altamont as our start to travel through Australia and regret for the short time we could afford only to stay at the Altamont.
We, a family of four, including two lively daughthers, have several requirments on hotel accomodation. First of all it should be "family- friendly" . At the Altamont we found a lovely familial atmosphere, it is clean, close to city center, but quit at night. Kings Cross ist just around the corner.
The rates are fair.
To cut a long story short, if we ever will return to Australia, we will stay at the Altamont again.

Girls weekends at The Altamont!!!

by TripAdvisor Member andylynch

Just want to thank you again for having all us girls stay at your wonderful establishment!!! We love it there and would never even consider staying any where but the Altamont when in Sydney!!! We just can't go past the unbeatable rates, remarkable service, relaxed atmosphere, perfect location, large rooms and of course having a chat with Alan!! Perfect location for a girls weekend with pre drinks up on the roof top!!! Already looking forward to and even planning our next visit which I think will be our 8th or 9th stay at The Altamont!!!

Comments