Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

11 Jamison St, (formerly Rydges Jamison Sydney), Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Official Website

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Rude and difficult service

I experienced Sub-par standard at Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney.
    The room was filled with dust, the towels had holes, and the majority of the service was rude and difficult. On arrival it took 50 minutes for our luggage to arrive to our room. Consequently my 6-month-old daughter had to wait for her naptime gear. I had to call reception twice in regard to the where abouts of our luggage. The cot they set up was a playpen and had the sheet ends exposed, not folded under, so it would of been easy for my baby to pick the sheet up and suffocate. Plus they put us, a customer with an infant, in a room close to nosey lifts. My door card did not work multiple times even with other guest trying it. So baby and I had to back track to the receptionist twice on arrival and a third time the next day. On arrival, the first receptionist handed me anther card without an apology. The second time, to my aghast the receptionist blamed me Rudely for it not working saying I must of put it near my wallet magnet. I responded how could that be when you just handed it to me and I have been holding onto it; I have not put it in my handbag that contains my wallet. I received a grimace in response. (A common courtesy of "Sorry mam, here is anther one.” would of sufficed.) When I called for 2 dental kits and a shaver kit to be brought up I had a long wait. I waited 25 minutes before I called again and received no apology for the delay. A "5 star" hotel should have these toiletries within the bathroom as it is inconvenient to call and wait in the first place. Finally they arrived. However, I received 2 shaver kits and 1 dental. Not what I requested. Thus, a third call to reception, this time I did receive a sincere apology. On the second night I heard and saw the door move open my door, Fortunately it was locked. I looked through the peephole and saw two tall men waiting for the lift. – hmmmm. I also question the security at Amora Hotel.

• More like a 3 star hotel

We got a deal on lastminute saying it was a five star.

Got a standard king room but was dissapointed.

The lobby had stained worned out carpet and also in our room. The chairs had stains and the blinds were old and chappy on the sides.

The cabinet was an old style (wooden) and not modern looking at all.

It did not have the best bed covers and the pillows were hard as stones.

We upgraded at the end and paid $40 on top. It did not feel comfortable or luxurious in there. And that is a five star, may I add.

For a five star buffet breakfast, we were surprised that they did not have egg benedict included.

Just simply OVER RATED!

Very dissapointed.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Stylish but cold

We fancied a bit of indulgence but without breaking the bank - a weekend in Sydney with just the Saturday night stop-over. I'm not a lover of 'fussy' (see Stamford Plaza tip!) and so the modern, clean, elegant lines of Rydges, with the offer of a de-luxe room with balcony at AUD$199, hit the right button.

Just off the main drag of George St and 5 minutes walk from Circular Quays makes this a great location and, it being a high-rise block, offers the potential of excellent views. All rooms are big (but obviously some bigger than other) and the en-suites are a real highlight - stunning white and black marble, tiled and glass extravaganzas. As smokers, we booked a balcony room. On checking in, a 5th floor room did not appeal and requested higher. We were asked to return later: duly did and a room on the 21st floor was provided. But no balcony. Eventually sorted, but glad we moved as the room with balcony was twice as big - and the balcony had a view over the harbour (to the side). So - tip. Whether you are a smoker or not, ask for the balcony rooms (the other rooms do not have opening windows either).

Unique Quality: The hotel is sleek, comfortable, has a AUD$4million art collection on display and there's little to complain about. Except, in this review, I do. We did not find in particularly welcoming. It was efficient without being friendly. It was the equivalent of the restaurant which reluctantly finds you a table and then the waiter serves you a good meal without barely speaking. There was nothing that made it memorable or stand out. I'm not saying I want gushing obsequiousness, but when there are so many hotels of a similar level of efficiency and comfort, that extra 'something' is required. And Rydges Jamison did not offer that, so my recommendation is not particularly encouraging.

ANONYMOUS, EFFICIENT, STYLISH. BUT, AT THESE PRICES, I WANT MORE!

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Great Boutique Hotel

I wasn't quite sure of this hotel when I pulled up...b/c it was not in the main hub...and it was tucked in a corner off a side street...but it was great. The rooms were sophisticated...clean and suave...and it was in a perfect to location. Not to mention...it is across the street from one of my favorite restaurants...sushi-e...and favorite bars...establishment.

Very classy...and a good choice for your stay in sydney.

Warning: Make sure to call ahead for the taxi service. It can take up to 20 min to flag a taxi..and it caused me to late to a business meeting....so beware.

• Rydges Jamison Hotel Sydney

Rydges is an excellent 5-star hotel, in an excellent location just a few hundred metres from Circular Quay and the harbour bridge.

The rooms were very spacious, and elegant with an ultra-modern feel. This is a very classy place....but it is expensive.

• KrautGermany's Profile Photo

A short stroll to Circular Quay and The Rocks

We`ve been staying there for 10 days. Standard could be described as four stars and a half .
    Within less than ten minutes you can reach Circular Quay or The Rocks. Train station is only a few steps away (Wynyard).

Can highly recommend this hotel.

More about Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

Great

Great location - 5 min walk to the harbour with views of the opera house.
Hotel is very modern, breakfast plentiful & the room we had, although a little on the small side, was modern, bright & clean. The bathroom was large with black marble with a free standing bath & walk in shower. Staff were very helpful.
Overall would definitely recommend this hotel.

comfortable room and great location

by TripAdvisor Member roachyg

I just returned from a stay at the Rydges Jamison Feb 10-12. After reading good, but mixed reviews I chose this hotel becasue I wanted a nice comfortable bed and a separate shower and bath to rest after a long flight and the beginning of a l4 day trip. Typical of a higher end hotel everything was expensive and you had to call room service for all needs. I got just what I wanted, but at 176 USD the hotel was not the nicest I have stayed at in that price category in other countries. It was a great place to stay and I would recommend it.

The location was also great. 2 blocks from the Circular Quay (and Circulay Quay Train Station), 4 blocks from The Rocks and one block from the Wynyard train station.

Disappointing staff

by TripAdvisor Member Charlty

Arrived early in ther morning after 20 hour flight and although we couldn't check-in, we were given the facilities to shower, change and store luggage which was good.

Location excellent for access to Rocks, Circular Quay and all public transport, especially to and from airport.

Room was tidy but carpet had heavy ingrained dust that you wouldn't expect from a hotel that is graded as top class. Also, we wore the two robes given on our first night and these were never replaced after we left them for washing/collection.

We had little contact with staff but when we did finally check out early in the morning the reception staff were rude. He never greeted us or said thank you, goodbye or similar. He thrust a piece of paper into our hands without explaining what it was and appeared to be more interested in chatting to his colleague behind the counter. We were not asked whether we wanted assistance with our luggage/transport and it appeared this member of staff was quite content to see us struggling across the lobby with our bags.

Generally ok but would not stay again. This hotels greatest asset is its location.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member holidayman2004

We have just returned from 5 nights here at the end of a trip around Australia.
The rooms were excellently furnished and maintained, the staff very helpful and always obliging and polite. The hotel is well located for everything, especially the Circular Quay/Rocks/Opera house area and the shopping is a short walk up George street and adjacent Pitt Street.
The only complaint I could have if I was really looking for one is that the bar closes quite early at around 11.15pm, but then that has happenend in other Sydney hotels so maybe that's the way things are. There are several bars nearby that open later so it's not really a problem.
Rydges is more expensive than some hotels in the area, but is well worth the extra. We would stay there again and highly recommend it.
Sightseeing tip: there are 2 companies running hop on hop off sightseeing tours. Make sure you use the double decker one. Their ticket ($30) allows you to do the city tour and the Bondi beach tour on the same day for the one price. The State run City tour is more expensive and you cannot interchange tickets from one trip to the other unless you buy a 2 day ticket, which costs $62. We found out too late, and even though the state run one allows unlimited use of the local buses for the 24 hour period the location of the rydges makes this small consolation for the greatly increased cost.

sylish

by TripAdvisor Member susie-q

just returned from a visit to Oz and can't fault this hotel. Staff were brilliant and upgraded us on arrival from UK as they could see we were shattered and the room we had booked would not be available for a couple of hours. Didn't eat in hotel as so many coffee shops nearby for breakfast and great restaurants at the harbour nearby for dinner. would definately reccommend - check this site for prices as hotel could not match our deal when we booked for another 3 days at the end of our holiday.

Good value and wonderful rooms.

by TripAdvisor Member Tokyo Shirokuma

The Rydges Jamison Hotel has a fair location in the center of the financial district and not far from the much more posh Establishment Hotel. During the weekdays, it is in a good location for business. If you are a leisure traveler like myself, it’s not so great since you have to walk fairly far to get to open restaurants, laundry, or even convenience stores. It is, however, not far from the Rocks and Circular Quay, so for many that is a plus. The service at the front desk is efficient and friendly. To its credit, the rooms are spacious and functional with a large armoire on the side with loads of compartments with all you need. There are plenty of electrical outlets in the room. The beds are soft, very soft, but that seems to be the norm in Australia. The bathroom is gorgeous and modern, and lives up to the pictures on the Internet. Views are not good on any floor as buildings all around block them. The pool is small and I don’t think you could swim laps in it, but could be refreshing. Overall, very comfortable and clean with good housekeeping, but the location would make me think twice about staying here again as I don’t want to stay in the financial district on a leisure trip.

Comments