Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

11 Jamison St, (formerly Rydges Jamison Sydney), Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia
(5 star hotel)

Tags

Arts and Culture Food and Dining Family Travel
See Amenities

Rude and difficult service

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2012

I experienced Sub-par standard at Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney.
The room was filled with dust, the towels had holes, and the majority of the service was rude and difficult. On arrival it took 50 minutes for our luggage to arrive to our room. Consequently my 6-month-old daughter had to wait for her naptime gear. I had to call reception twice in regard to the where abouts of our luggage. The cot they set up was a playpen and had the sheet ends exposed, not folded under, so it would of been easy for my baby to pick the sheet up and suffocate. Plus they put us, a customer with an infant, in a room close to nosey lifts. My door card did not work multiple times even with other guest trying it. So baby and I had to back track to the receptionist twice on arrival and a third time the next day. On arrival, the first receptionist handed me anther card without an apology. The second time, to my aghast the receptionist blamed me Rudely for it not working saying I must of put it near my wallet magnet. I responded how could that be when you just handed it to me and I have been holding onto it; I have not put it in my handbag that contains my wallet. I received a grimace in response. (A common courtesy of "Sorry mam, here is anther one.” would of sufficed.) When I called for 2 dental kits and a shaver kit to be brought up I had a long wait. I waited 25 minutes before I called again and received no apology for the delay. A "5 star" hotel should have these toiletries within the bathroom as it is inconvenient to call and wait in the first place. Finally they arrived. However, I received 2 shaver kits and 1 dental. Not what I requested. Thus, a third call to reception, this time I did receive a sincere apology. On the second night I heard and saw the door move open my door, Fortunately it was locked. I looked through the peephole and saw two tall men waiting for the lift. – hmmmm. I also question the security at Amora Hotel.

More like a 3 star hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 2, 2011

We got a deal on lastminute saying it was a five star.

Got a standard king room but was dissapointed.

The lobby had stained worned out carpet and also in our room. The chairs had stains and the blinds were old and chappy on the sides.

The cabinet was an old style (wooden) and not modern looking at all.

It did not have the best bed covers and the pillows were hard as stones.

We upgraded at the end and paid $40 on top. It did not feel comfortable or luxurious in there. And that is a five star, may I add.

For a five star buffet breakfast, we were surprised that they did not have egg benedict included.

Just simply OVER RATED!

Very dissapointed.

leffe3's Profile Photo

Stylish but cold

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 8, 2006

We fancied a bit of indulgence but without breaking the bank - a weekend in Sydney with just the Saturday night stop-over. I'm not a lover of 'fussy' (see Stamford Plaza tip!) and so the modern, clean, elegant lines of Rydges, with the offer of a de-luxe room with balcony at AUD$199, hit the right button.

Just off the main drag of George St and 5 minutes walk from Circular Quays makes this a great location and, it being a high-rise block, offers the potential of excellent views. All rooms are big (but obviously some bigger than other) and the en-suites are a real highlight - stunning white and black marble, tiled and glass extravaganzas. As smokers, we booked a balcony room. On checking in, a 5th floor room did not appeal and requested higher. We were asked to return later: duly did and a room on the 21st floor was provided. But no balcony. Eventually sorted, but glad we moved as the room with balcony was twice as big - and the balcony had a view over the harbour (to the side). So - tip. Whether you are a smoker or not, ask for the balcony rooms (the other rooms do not have opening windows either).

Unique Quality: The hotel is sleek, comfortable, has a AUD$4million art collection on display and there's little to complain about. Except, in this review, I do. We did not find in particularly welcoming. It was efficient without being friendly. It was the equivalent of the restaurant which reluctantly finds you a table and then the waiter serves you a good meal without barely speaking. There was nothing that made it memorable or stand out. I'm not saying I want gushing obsequiousness, but when there are so many hotels of a similar level of efficiency and comfort, that extra 'something' is required. And Rydges Jamison did not offer that, so my recommendation is not particularly encouraging.

ANONYMOUS, EFFICIENT, STYLISH. BUT, AT THESE PRICES, I WANT MORE!

lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Great Boutique Hotel

by written on May 6, 2006

I wasn't quite sure of this hotel when I pulled up...b/c it was not in the main hub...and it was tucked in a corner off a side street...but it was great. The rooms were sophisticated...clean and suave...and it was in a perfect to location. Not to mention...it is across the street from one of my favorite restaurants...sushi-e...and favorite bars...establishment.

Very classy...and a good choice for your stay in sydney.

Warning: Make sure to call ahead for the taxi service. It can take up to 20 min to flag a taxi..and it caused me to late to a business meeting....so beware.

Rydges Jamison Hotel Sydney

by written on October 3, 2005

Rydges is an excellent 5-star hotel, in an excellent location just a few hundred metres from Circular Quay and the harbour bridge.

The rooms were very spacious, and elegant with an ultra-modern feel. This is a very classy place....but it is expensive.

KrautGermany's Profile Photo

A short stroll to Circular Quay and The Rocks

by written on May 20, 2005

We`ve been staying there for 10 days. Standard could be described as four stars and a half .
Within less than ten minutes you can reach Circular Quay or The Rocks. Train station is only a few steps away (Wynyard).

Can highly recommend this hotel.

Nearby Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Sydney Travel Forum

Need advice about Sydney, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sydney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sydney hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Carlton Crest Hotel Sydney
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Medina Grand Sydney
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Metro Hotel Sydney (300 Pitt Street.)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews