Base Backpackers

Budget Travel Backpacking Singles
See Amenities
littlebush's Profile Photo

Awful

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 30, 2014

We had avoided hostels quite well on our four month trip but with the prices in sydney sky high and our preferred Airbnb busy on our first night, we opted to use my avios airmiles to book cheap digs, which came up with base hostel
The flat rate on their site was £92 for a double room with shared bathroom. If we had paid that I would've been so disappointed. It's one of them hostels that's so big it's impersonal, noisy, everything locked down like a prison and they charge you for everything.
No free wifi, no free lockers/left luggage.
You need your key to get through every door and the lifts and even the bathrooms.
Of the three showers on our floor, only one worked and that was ice cold.
It was full of first time travellers fresh out of uni drinking in their dorms and being noisy (I'm just getting old!).
We got a knock at the door to see if we wanted to go to he party next door with free drinks and a wet tshirt competition!
They screwed up our booking and asked me to prove it. As there was no free wifi I had to go to macdonalds 10min away to download my booking email. When I came back having failed to get connected and fuming, they had let anya in as they realised their computer system had out it in her name not mine. The majority of staff were unhelpful but anya said the lady manager came to the rescue and sorted it for her and was very kind. They gave us two free breakfasts for the cock up which was something.
But overall, it was my idea of hell. I still don't mind some hostels if it's small and quiet and they've got the vibe right. This was at the opposite end of the scale.

ines2003's Profile Photo

friendly hostel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 17, 2013

stayed for 4 night. the place was clean and staff were polite. No hassles with anything during my stay. The place seemed quiet at night and had no problems with noise from any other rooms or the city.

Unique Quality: The bathrooms weren't bad, but the toilets were a bit unpleasant. Not sure what they'd done to the toilet seats but they had a wet look and smelt funny all the time. It said the bathroom was cleaned several times a day, Aside from that everything else was reasonably clean and in working order.

Great Backpackers!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 19, 2010

I’ve never stayed in a backpackers before so I was very sceptical at first, but my experience at Base was so good I’d stay over and over again.

We stayed at The Sanctuary which is a special area on Lvl 5 just for girls. There’s a special door leading to the rooms in the Sanctuary and a large mirror in the corridor. We initially asked for a 4 bed dorm but were given an 8 bed dorm. It turned out to be great cause the room was very spacious and we managed to meet a bunch of great girls.

Besides that, there isn’t anything special about The Sanctuary. You get your own fluffy towel and there’s a feeling of safety staying there. Pretty much it. I’d still stay though!

There were some plug points but only at certain part of the rooms. So you might have to be friendly to be able to access the plug points to charge your phone, camera, laptop, etc. Remember to buy the plug point required for Australia. The mirror was very weirdly positioned but there is a full length mirror for you to get dressed. Most girls get their hair and make-up done in the toilet or in the corridor outside as there are plenty of plug points.

The toilets were clean and the showers were great so really no complaints there. I never had to wait in the line for the showers as well. I went in winter and everything was heated very nicely such that we could walk around in our shorts.

There’s a spacious chilling, living area where you can just hang out and wait for your friends. Internet was AUD$1 for 15minutes which was the standard rate at most backpackers but the internet connection was very fast. Alternatively, you could do what my roommate did and run across the road to the huge Apple store and use the internet for free! :P

We didn’t really use the kitchen or the laundry but from what we saw it was quite a big area and there was plenty of space as all this was located in the basement.

I have no real complaints about the place except for 2 weird things. Firstly, people would come in around 10ish to vacuum every morning. That means if you were still hungover from the night before, it is time for you to wake up! But worst of all, sometimes men would come in to vacuum which I found very weird since it’s supposed to be The Sanctuary and everything.

There was a man washing the female toilet which I did not feel comfortable with. After which the man even chatted me up in the lift which made me feel extra uncomfortable!

But all in all, absolutely loved the friendly atmosphere which always put an extra bounce in my step when I left. And coming back, there wasn’t a sense of dread coming to a dingy, dodgy place. It was safe, clean and really raised the bar in our expectations for backpackers for the future!

MUST STAY!!!

Unique Quality: Now what we liked best was the ambience of the place. There was a vibe and an electricity, like there was always something going on and never a dull moment. There are activities organised everyday and even if you didn’t want to go you could always walk to the travel desk and plan your next holiday destination.

The location of the backpackers is also fantastic. Literally in the heart of the city, right behind the church next to QVM. Walking distance to Darling Harbour and Market City but my friend and I walked all the to The Rocks and Circular Quay as well! The train station is right outside and buses take you everywhere you want to go! There's a 7-11 right next door which helps when you're hungry and thirsty in the middle of the night!

We also loved the bar, SCARY CANARY. Again, there was always something happening everyday. There were free drinks for girls staying at the sanctuary everyday from 8-9pm and they are give you 3 complimentary champagnes during your entire stay. But otherwise, the drinks were pretty cheap (beer jugs @ $10) and there was great music, great people and real atmosphere in the bar. Personally, I loved the bar food as well even though it was a little pricey (around $10). Must must go for the Thursday Ladies nights as they have many fun games happening and not to mention hot, topless guys! Haha!

Directions: Right behind the church next to OVM. Central train station is located at the Church

CindyLou99's Profile Photo

The Base Backpackers

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 30, 2005

I stayed at the Base for 6 days. Most of the rooms are co-ed, but some all-girl rooms are available, so it that's what you want, be sure to book ahead. It is very clean with friendly staff along with a cook-for-yourself kitchen in the basement and a pub.
They also have internet access, where they give you one hour free is you are staying more than 3 nights.
They also have laundry facilities and a TV room.

Unique Quality: Well there were a few uniqur qualites at the Base. For one, the bunk beds were so squeaky. Youcould hear anytime anyone in the room rolled over in bed. It was actually quite funny. Me and several of my fellow roommates were always joking about it.

Directions: Kent Street, Sydney, AU

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Sydney Travel Forum

Need advice about Sydney, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sydney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sydney hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Carlton Crest Hotel Sydney
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Metro Hotel Sydney (300 Pitt Street.)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Local Customs
Sydney Harbour
Sun / Sunburn
Warnings and Dangers
You may never want to leave!
Really way out of Sydney