Blue Parrot Backpackers

HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Homestyle stay!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 28, 2012

My stay here at Blue Parrot was great! I was greeted by the friendly Sasha, who made me feel right at home with her beautiful smile and her friendly personality. After getting hasseled at immigration upon my arrival in Australia, I was already wary, on top of tired. She gave me my clean linen and recommended I walk around and explore since my room wasn't ready yet. So I did. I came in to a nice clean bed waiting. Some long-term travelers had made their homes here. I relaxed a bit. I traveled solo to Sydney and was looking forward to meeting some people to hang out with. Luckily, I did! The staff can arrange tours for you and I loved this service, since all you did was ask and they booked it for you. There's a variety to choose from! And of course, I loved the free wi-fi they provided, a plus!! When I lost my wallet in a taxi, which I admit, dampened my mood considerably, the staff even helped me out by calling and reporting it for me. It was discovered and turned into the local police station at King's Cross. I was relieved! So I have the staff to thank for helping me with that dilemma.

This was voted one of the top hostels in Australia and I can see why! If you're a traveller or backpacker that is between the ages of 18-35 years old, I suggested booking a stay here. Especially if you're hoping to meet some fellow solo travelers! Come stay at the Blue Parrot and see why it's gotten great reviews!

Unique Quality: The hostel was clean and well kept. It was a small hostel which provided a homestyle feel to it. The beds are bunk beds and were neatly arranged. There's private lockers you can use, and there's a 10 AUD padlock fee if you didn't bring your own. The common room is nice and chill, just like your living room at home would be. Stocked with DVD's and a computer. But I didn't spend any time in here until before my departure. The costs are about the 35-50 PER NIGHT range, USD. Nice hot showers and there's a kitchen and courtyard.

Directions: Potts Point, King's Cross

dracko's Profile Photo

Too quiet, too small, too far

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 11, 2003

Prior to heading to Sydney I was looking around the net for a decent hostel, and Blue Parrot in King's Cross (or rather on its border with Potts Point) seemed to stand out. It seemed to get excellent reviews, and I was looking forward to having a great time there. So much for reviews. Of all the hostels I stayed at while in Australia, the Blue Parrot gets the least amount of praise from me. It's a nice enough place, but in my opinion all the praise is not justified. There just wasn't anything special about it to warrant the reviews that it's gotten. It's a small hostel, with only about 7-8 rooms that typically house 4-8 people. The 8-bed rooms have ensuite bathrooms, and there're only 3 other bathrooms for everyone else to share. There's the kitchen and the laundry room that you'd expect, and a nice little courtyard with a couple of benches and a barbeque. The common room has a TV and a couple of ratty couches. There's a payphone. That's about it. The place tends to be very quiet, and in spite of the hostel being supposedly fairly full, just about the only people I saw about the hostel were the few backpackers that were working at the hostel as well as live there. That's about it. There just wasn't much going on there, much to my disappointment.

There are a few redeeming points, however. There's the resident dog, Lily, a very friendly and well fed pup that absolutely loves to play catch with her ball. Also, the lady that owns & runs the place is very friendly and also tends to keep it fairly clean; there're also always fresh lilies in vases all around every morning. I paid A$25/night for a bed in a 6-bed room.

Unique Quality: Friendly dog & friendly owner. A courtyard with tables & BBQ.

Nearby Blue Parrot Backpackers

Blue Parrot Backpackers

• Blue Parrot Backpackers Hotel Sydney

Address: 87 Macleay St, Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales, 2011, Australia

4 Photos of Blue Parrot Backpackers

View Professional Photos

Sydney Travel Forum

Need advice about Sydney, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sydney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sydney hotel reviews

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies
Tour Buses
Driving and Transport
Warnings and Dangers
You may never want to leave!
Central Coast