57 York St., Sydney, 2000, Australia
Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Sydney

Enjoying my Boysenberry Cone (November 2010)Enjoying my Boysenberry Cone (November 2010)

Delicious Ice CreamDelicious Ice Cream

Big boatsBig boats

Harbour from Monorail windowHarbour from Monorail window

Safe and clean hostel bit far from Sdney CBD

by ymail

Paid for air ticket to be in Sydney from Dec23 for one week!
Wish to stay in hostel with 2 kids.
I am trying to find budget hostel that I can easily travel to CBD area by public transport, so that I can avoid paying 50A$/per Person to stay in CBD area hostel!
Not far from Sydney attractions…..but connected by good public transport
I understand I need to avoid King Cross area
any suggestion
Thanks

by craic

this is tough - sydney books out at this time of the year and the hostels ar brutal about about raising prices

have you checked BUG - Backpackers Ultimate Guide

they give localities with the hostels

have you checked the Alishan in Glebe?

by ymail

Thanks,

I tried YHotel but its booked.
Trying to reach Alishan now.

I think King cross has lots of Hostel but I was advised to avoid it. So this make my choice difficult. Lets see what I can find.

Cheers

by lynnehamman

There is a hostel in Cronulla-which is a beach suburb, but not very far from the city. It has a regular and cheap bus service to the city.

Have a look at the website:

by muratkorman

We stayed in Kings Cros with my wife and we had no trouble at all. The location is central and you can reach everywhere easily. Check my hotel eview in Sydney for details.

by lynnehamman

I tend to agree about Kings Cross. If the usual precautions are observed, it is not as bad as it is made out to be. It really only gets a bit rowdy after midnight. I have never ever felt unsafe in this area.

by zanzooni

I stayed near Kings Cross-at the Formula 1 hotel, in an "ensuite". It's Ok, but rather small but does have it's own bathroom, but still around the same price as the hostel in Glebe, which I stayed at as well, that does not have it's own bathroom. Formula 1's price was for a double/twin bunk-bed set up. YHA's price was for 2 twins. Glebe isn't really close to the train station, Formula 1 is. Now here's the thing: You can head up the hill which will take you to King's Cross, or you can head down the hill which takes you into better territory. If you only want this place to sleep, then I recommend it. Kings Cross train station is only a hop, skip and jump away, and you will be down at the harbor in no time. Not so with Glebe. And I know of a great pub with a $10 menu in the Kings Cross area which was pretty decent, and I don't throw that term around loosely. ~

Travel Tips for Sydney

Beaches & harbors by ferry and bus

by BeverlyTyler

We took a short ferry ride from Sydney to Watson's Bay, ate lunch in one of the local seafood restaurants and climbed the hill to overlook the town and harbor on the harbor side and the sheer steep rock cliffs on the Pacific Ocean side. We walked along the spectacular cliffs to the next bus stop where we caught the Bondi Explorer Bus to Bondi Beach. We spent the afternoon there and then took the bus back to Sydney past some more spectacular beaches, secluded coves and interesting villages. PHOTO: THE BLUE MOUNTAINS NEAR WENTWORTH FALLS. THE BLUE MOUNTAINS ARE ACTUALLY PLATEAUS (THE GRAND CANYON WITH TREES) COVERED WITH EUCALYPTUS TREES WHICH GIVE OFF A FINE OIL MIST THAT COLORS THE HAZE A DEEP BLUE.

Exploring Sydney Harbor, Walking around "The Rocks," shopping at the Queen Victoria Building, attending service at St. Andrew's Cathedral and getting a tour of the beautiful Cathedral after the service; exploring the sights and food of Darling Harbor including the incredible Maritime Museum, the Chinese Gardens and the restored barque James Craig; and (not to be missed) taking a tour to the Blue Mountains.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge...

by aussie_latin

The Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout is open to the public daily.

There are 200 stairs to climb to the Pylon with rest stops on the way up showing displays of the history of the construction of the Bridge.

The Pylon offers magnificent views of Sydney Harbour, Botanical Gardens and the surrounding areas. On a clear day you can see are far as the Blue Mountains.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is 134 metres high, 502 metres long, 48.8 metres wide and weighs 52 800 tonnes. The Sydney Harbour Bridge was constructed between 1923 and 1932. It's nickname is 'the coathanger'.

Nowdays you can also climb The Bridge! yes climbe it!!! that's why is so fantastic, If you want the website just ask me!

Wombats

by cjg1

Wombats marsupials native to Australia. They are short and almost pig like in appearance with a furry coat. They have short legs and a very small tail. They might be small but they do move quickly in their zoo enclosures. They are usually found in forest and mountain areas of south east Australia and Tasmania.

During our visits to Sydney and beyond we have enjoyed seeing Wombats at Cymbio, Featherdale and Toronga Park.

DON'T USE THIS WORD: "FANNY"

by birchy99

Oh boy! As we were finishing up the Bridgeclimb I was having trouble with my utility belt as it kept slipping down. I commented something about "this darn 'fannypack' keeps slipping. Our young lady guide looked a bit startled at me and the British fellow behind me said something like: "I think he means his utility belt."
So when I had a chance to ask a friend about this comment I learned that "FANNY" is not a word used in polite society in the British Commonwealth. Enough said!!!!!

Packing List

by bbbbee

backpack with good sized day pack for your togs and towel and suncream and camera etc... sandals cause it is very hot in the summer and can also get pretty cold in the winter from may to august so you want to not be wearing sandals at these times. 15+ suncream and above definitely. There is nothing funnier to an australian than a burnt pom walking around with his shirt hanging out of his shorts! and it really hurts the next day. the light is really good in australia for some lovely photos, get a solariser to take away the glare though cause it is very bright. the more photos the merrier. if you go camping on the beach you will need insect repelant.. the horse flies are bastards, huge and nasty bites, they are also territorial, so just as you kill one another will come. kill kill kill.

Comments