331 Mona Vale Road, Sydney, 2084, Australia
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Sydney

Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010)Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010)

Liz with her cone (March 2010)Liz with her cone (March 2010)

Where's Russel?Where's Russel?

Convention Centre and Sydney SkylineConvention Centre and Sydney Skyline

Interstate seniors card

by margsch

Good Morning, I am planning a short stay in Sydney and wondered if my S.A. seniors card entitled me to a discount on either the train from the airport into the city and/or Lite rail monorail 3 day pass. I have looked at a number of websites including the public transport one - can,t say I saw any cheaper prices.
Here in S.A. public transport is free for us outside of peak hour.

by lynnehamman

Senior discounts are not available on Monorail or Airport train.
There is a cheap shuttle bus from airport to the city, which will drop you at hotel.
The shuttle-bus stand is outside terminal.

There is a free bus which travels around CBD only.

by pedroswift

You can however get a discounted day pass ($2.80) for the bus,ferry,train if memory serves (only used the bus ourselves). I quote from my Sydney intro:
"Buying the 'senior' rate daily travel pass for Sydney buses, trains, ferries for $3.00 and taking the bus to Watson's Bay for a look at South Head and lunch at Doyles on the Wharf Take Away.... returning to the CBD via Bondi Beach. Ah! It appealed to my Scottish heritage as well as my taste buds."

by sirgaw

I'm in Victoria and we got a letter recently that says there has been an agreement between the states and territories that all seniors cards can be used across Australia for public transport. One of the links I read says the seniors/pensioners price in Sydney metro (we're going to Sydney in 2 weeks) is $2.50 for all day travel on trains/buses/ferries - even if its $2.80 as previous poster wrote, its still a bargin.

Unfortunatly we do not get free travel outside peak hours - we might have to move to S.A. - LOL

by margsch

Errm....sorry to be a pain but have had another look at the public travel website and there were 3 columns with prices, I don,t understand the difference between a half price fare and excursion fare. And is the airport train considered just part of the metropolitan train system? e.g. often airport buses are not part of a public transport system and a normal bus ticket cannot be used. If I buy my ticket at Mascot from a machine will it be self explanatory?
I will need to get from the Domestic terminal into Darling Harbour, and back, and wish to use Lite rail and Monorail extensively.

by pedroswift

Getting to from the Airport seems to be separate from getting around town. There is no direct connection by train from the airport to Darling Harbour. As Lynne mentions the shuttle gets you to the hotel door & back if you go for return fare.(Kingsford Smith Transport (KST): Runs door to door service. $13 to central Sydney/$22 return. Book 3 hrs ahead for return. Contact: Tel 9667 0663 or 9666 9988).
If you are keen on the lite rail & visiting a museum or two maybe a combined supervoucher plus 3 day pass is the way to go?? On the web site monorail.com.au it mentions under Normal Fares Concession* (senior cards) across two zones Single $3.20 Return $4.20....but I understand there is a time limit on use of normal tickets.

Travel Tips for Sydney

Mustering the energy to go out to eat

by b1bob

On finally arriving at the hotel, everybody was on their own steam. I was so tired I only wanted to eat at the hotel restaurant, cancel Mr. Rath's wake-up call, take the lift up to my room, write my post cards, and go to sleep. At only 6.30, I was already plumb knackered for three reasons. I barely mustered the energy to go to this restaurant whose name escapes me. If I weren't so hungry, I would have bypassed supper and done the other abovementioned things. Mama managed to convince the rest of our group except for the Raths to join us. We went there by hotel courtesy van free of charge, but we had to go back by taxi. The restaurant was very English, that kind of food was the last thing my stomach needed. The ceiling is very high and the walls painted pink with white lattice decoration. I was ill-at-ease in there because it was so bloody cold and because it struck me as the type of snobbish restaurant requiring a dress code even though it didn't in fact have one. I ordered the chicken Kiev (a chicken breast stuffed with butter and herbs) with rice and salad. Australia is known for many things- salads are not among them. On waiting for the taxi, my brother pitched a hissy because he wasn't going to be in the same taxi as Kim and Holly. I didn't give a hoot who I returned to the hotel with at this point just as long as I could get to bed soon, however somebody had to teach His Royal Highness that pitching a hissy won't always get him his way. The taxi driver was very interesting. He was able to guess where I was born and where I was living based on my so-called accent. I don't talk with any kind of accent, it's all those foreigners from outside the South which have the accent :) As tired as I was, I still remembered to cancel Mr. Rath's wake-up call which would have been at 5.00. After that, I took the lift up, skipped the post cards, and went to sleep before my head hit the pillow.

Not have too much to drink...

by bobuk

Not have too much to drink whilst watching the harbour bridge. I did this and started seeing little people walking over the top of the bridge. A sober person then informed me that she could see them too. But seriously, you can get a guided tour and walk over the top of this bridge. I am afraid it was a bridge too far for me.

Ferry Ride

by CandS

Take a ride on a ferry - here is another view of the Sydney Opera House from the ferry.

You can see a different angle of Sydney from the boat, its worth a trip...although hope for better weather than I had! ;)

To tip or not to tip.

by lou31

My tip here is don't tip. It's really not worth it as wherever you go it wont be expected. The staff who work in restaurants and hotels are well paid and tips are not part of their income. Of course if you feel better giving a tip it would'nt hurt and maybe you will receive that little bit better sevice.

Packing List

by portia1971

Bring comfortable walking shoes as Sydney is a town best explored on foot.
Also light clothing and a sweater or jacket even for summer as the southerlies that blow through the harbour city can be a bit fresh.
Also bring an umbrella - especially in Spring and summer.

Comments