Chelsea Motor Inn

106 Grafton Street, Sydney, 2450, Australia
Chelsea Motor Inn
Expedia.com Agoda.com Hotels.com

More about Sydney

The incredible chips!!!!!The incredible chips!!!!!

Ice Cold BeerIce Cold Beer

Liz enjoying the natural beauty of the parkLiz enjoying the natural beauty of the park

Liz checking out the merchandiseLiz checking out the merchandise

Solo Female Traveller to Sydney - is it easy to meet ppl there & the work situ?

by bunnycurves

Going to be travelling to Sydney in March from Europe (never been to Australia), hoping to be able to stay up to 6mths and just wondering if it is easy to meet ppl in Sydney (many solo backpackers or mostly groups?) and if anyone has found it hard to get any kind of paid work? Cheers :)

Re: Solo Female Traveller to Sydney - is it easy to meet ppl there & the work situ?

by Stepwalk

You will meet lots of people quickly and easily in Sydney especially when staying at the inner city backpacker hotels and hostels. There are always plenty of paid work jobs in restaurants and bars as you will soon see when you arrive and start meeting people. Most of the jobs are just word of mouth from someone who knows someone etc. Spending a weekend around "The Rocks" area in the pubs and bars will get you connected with people for sure.

The weather is better in Sydney than Melbourne but Melbourne tends to have a more lively but intimate bar and cafe scene within the smaller streets and lanes. Melbourne tends to have more of a British feel whereas Sydney is more like west Coast USA.

by Maryimelda

I assume that you know that you can't work here without a visa? Most young people come to Australia with a visa that allows them to work here for 1 year. AS mentioned by an earlier poster, there is plenty of work in the hopitality industry in both Sydney and Melbourne, so if you have a visa, and you're prepared to work where the work is available, you won't have a problem. Sydney? Melbourne? I can't help you there because I love them both and I'm sure you will too.

by christine.j

Do a google search for the work and travel programs for Australia. They're really good and provide lots of help, not only with getting the visa but also with finding work.You have to pay for them, but this is money well spent.
Remember, if you work under the table without a visa, you can be deported immediately.

by bunnycurves

Thank you so much for all of the responses - so helpful! :) Yes, I have a Working Holiday visa - I finished my Masters in London last year but I know that there is probably very little chance of getting sponsored while outside Australia, hence the WH visa... I will work at anything to get by and had planned to sign up with recruitment agents as soon as I get there but the hospitality/bar/restaurant tips are something I will definitely follow up! Hoping to get to know as many of the locals as fellow travellers of course and even get involved with some volunteering / charity work.

by bunnycurves

I also heard that modesty is important when applying for a job in Australia in contrast to somewhere like the US where you really sell yourself - is this true?!

by Stepwalk

Yes, that is true: sell yourself but don't grandstand or bigmouth if you know what I mean (if you've spent any time in LA you'll understand)!

Travel Tips for Sydney

Feeding birds in the Royal Botanic Gardens

by martin_nl

One of the best things I did in Sydney so far is feeding the birds in the Royal Botanic Gardens. I did this on two occassions and one was quite unexpected. The first time we saw all these cockatoos eating the grass. So when we approached them to make a picture they just didn't move or fly away. They didn't seem afraid at all of humans. When we got closer and closer they still didn't seem to mind us at all, we thought it would be cool if they would eat from our hands and as we tried to feed them some of the grass they just ate it from our hands. Be careful though, or they eat your fingers too, as we found out ;))

On the second occasion we were just walking around the park again and we saw this man feeding some of the Rainbow Lorikeets. There were about three of these birds, just sitting on his shoulders and head and fingers. He asked us if we wanted to feed them too and so we did. So cool to have a wild animal (even though it was just a bird) sitting on your finger and eating bread from your hands. That would never happen at home.

Use the ferry service.

by Steve-H

For the best views of the city take a ferry, we used the Manly service quite a lot, and try to travel at dusk or dawn to see the city light up. In the evening and at weekends Sydney Harbour is filled with sailing boats, everyone takes to the water, speaking of which, a concerted effort has been made to improve the water quality in recent years and it is paying dividends. In the last year there have been many sightings of whales and their young in the harbours waters, no doubt resting in the calmer waters of the bay before continuing on up the coast.

Carols in the Domain

by martin_nl

Every year right before christmas, there is a big event in the Domain, called Carols in the Domain, a park right next to my hostel. And the fun we had there. I had never expected it to be so much fun. I mean singing along with x-mas songs together with 100000 people..... sounds quite boring to me. But in fact it was one of the best nights I had here in Sydney. From the hostel we had to walk up a hill and some steps to get to the Domain, but at the top, there was one big ocean of light! Everyone had little candles and a red cap around it provided by 7, the main sponsor and broadcasting channel. You should have seen our faces when we saw all this, we were amazed!! If you ever go to Australisa around x-mas time, make sure to check this event out!!!!!

Have a sleep in!

by hennanights

We found that most of the shops in Sydney's shopping districts didn't open till late. We found most of them shut at 10am. Nor did they stay open till late. We did find it a little strange and a bit frustrating when trying to fit shopping in around sight seeing.

Don't Forget the Passport & the Visa

by cjg1

Nearly all visitors to Australia are required to have a visa. This includes those coming from the United States. Do not forget to get this in order or you will have delays in boarding if not full denial while in LAX or SFO before heading down.

Comments