Citigate Sebel Sydney

AusPinay's Profile Photo

LITTLE HOTEL near the CITY CENTRE

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 30, 2008

We only stayed for one night here to celebrate wedding anniversary with our kids. We chose this place as it was described as close to the city centre and we hoped it was not too close as to being noisy. this was not the problem.

We always want to avoid crowds whenever we can despite wanting to have a bit of fun in the city. It has a good deal for a family which included breakfast which was not bad at all.

Our room had two queen beds, a moderately sized bathroom, tv, aircon, coffee/tea making, etc. The place has an indoor pool as well which the boys used the next morning before we checked out. I stayed in our room reading the papers!

My problem with this hotel is the slow service at the bistro- Cipp's. After a whole day wallking around the city- going to Powerhouse Museum and at around Darling Harbour, we decided to try this place for dinner. I shall have another page for this bistro.

There was no one at the place when we first went in and that was around 5:30 pm. There was someone at the bar so we got his attention and we to get our orders. I didn't see many people at the bar either so I don't know why the service is this place is awfully slow!

A woman came to take our dinner orders and these too took ages! The food is relatively fine, especially the Indian fare- butter chicken with the Basmati rice. The rest of our meal was not so bad but not too exciting either!

They do have kids' meal I think but I still will not recommend this place for fine dining!

The checkin/out was also also slow! There was a long line checking out in the morning and there were only two people attending to us!

Unique Quality: Nothing is really unique in the positive side. There are better hotels I am sure near the city. Anway, it is still a long walk from many attractions so avoid this place if you can!

But I can matter of factly say it is amazing how slow the service was despite it not being full at all! There were probably only 3 to 4 tables occupied and they all have two people on those tables! Unbelievable unless people come here much later.

We were just lazy to go outside to dine or get room service as there were not many choices in the menu as well!

Perhaps we should have taken the hint that locals and patrons alike here prefer to eat out as well, far away from this place I suppose!

At least we had a good meal somewhere in Chinatown, I forgot the name. Hubby said not to fuss too much as it would ruin our anniversary.

salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Acceptable 4 star hotel

by written on March 25, 2007

About what you'd expect given the price. It was nice to be able to wake up in the morning at go for a swim as well.

Facilities are comfortable, and we enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Service was what you'd expect for a hotel of that range.

Not a bad place to stay.

leffe3's Profile Photo

Functional comfort

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 8, 2006

I'm certainly getting through the hotels in Sydney! 13th different one on the list now...

Citigate Sebel is at the budget end of business and group booking hotels. It's functional, contemporary, spacious without it being stylish, innovative or cutting edge. It's exactly what you would expect from a chain of hotels that have within their 'portfolio' a mix of expensive luxury through to places such as Citigate Sebel. Unlike some hotel chains where they pitch only at the top end of the market or others where the architecture and lay-out of the rooms are almost identical in every city in the world, Sebel target a mix of clientele but also trade on their name of good quality and functionality.

So furnishings and fittings are mass produced but not cheap and nasty. Lots of marble and glass in the public rooms, with decent size rooms, opening windows etc in the bedrooms. There's a large (if somewhat empty) sun terrace on the 5th floor and an in-door pool/spa and sauna on the 4th floor. Whilst again, no awards will be won for the design if the pool area, at least it's there!

Unique Quality: Friendly, helpful staff, decent size rooms, an indoor swimming pool make Citigate Sebel a perfectly comfortable place to stay. Its main drawback is the location. A few minutes walk from Central Station make it quite a long way from the main sights and there are few cafes in the vicinity other than those on the ground floor of office blocks. But at least having the station a few minutes away makes it easy to get to places. And at AUD$119 for a de-luxe room through wotif.com (2 night minimum stay), it's pretty good.

IT'S HARD TO FAULT - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND THUS IS A VERY GOOD VALUE BUDGET BUSINESS HOTEL

Directions: 5 minutes walk from Central Station

Dy2005's Profile Photo

Next to Central Train Station

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 23, 2005

I stayed in Citigate Sebel (former Furama Central) in Sydney in 2000 and just recently in 2005.

Had a totally different experience for both occasions. First experience was pleasant. I was back to revisit the city and decided to stay in the same hotel. Pretty good location. Stone's throw from Central train station. about 5-10 mins walk from Chinatown, George Street. Might be a bit quiet at night if you are a solo female traveller.

The TV channels were really lousy. Only had about 5 channels available while the rest were pay-TV. Requested for High floor but was given room on second level.

Expected hotel to be spruced up compared to 5 years back but seems like nothing has changed over the 5 years.

Well, if you have a bigger budget, Avillion Hotel would definitely be an excellent choice in Sydney.

Directions: 5 mins walk from Central Train Station

simonneho's Profile Photo

Not bad but...

by written on July 13, 2005

I stay in this hotel in Sept 2004. It was clean and nice, there is even a 7-eleven next door and Domino Pizza!
One thing for sure you gotto do a lot of walking from hotel to Chinatown and the city area eg :QVB.

Overall its nice. I would stay in somewhere nearer the city next time eg :Wakeup!

Unique Quality: The breakfast was good. I actually had so much that i could skip lunch!

Directions: Chinatown (a bit further though)

aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Nice View Over Central Station from our Room

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 11, 2004

This is another hotel I stayed at that wasn't of my own choosing, but because I wasn't paying for it & because it was hosting the conference I was co-presenting a workshop at it was ideal accommodation. If I was staying in the city with my family it would depend on why we were there to determine where we would stay. I'd stay here for the Surry Hills, Broadway, Darling Harbour & Chinatown attractions as I mention below. Mind you I think I'd still prefer to stay down near the water if I had a choice.

It's like all good quality city hotels in the respect of the facilities & amenities it provides. While it would be in the second tier of hotels in our lovely city I didn't find that anything was lacking.

Unique Quality: This hotel is in a good location in regard to Central Station which takes you back around the City Circle Stations of Museum, St James, Circular Quay, Wynyard, Town Hall then back up to Central & on to ultimate destinations out of the city. Some head across the bridge to nthn suburbs stations. The light rail is virtually right outside the door & services this top end of the city, being particularly helpful in getting to the Powerhouse Museum, Chinatown & Darling Harbour with the Aquarium & the Maritime Museum & of course the Star City Casino.
What I enjoyed most after a day of conferencing was to have a workout in the fully equiped gym then shower off & have a swim in the 20m heated, indoor pool then finish off with a spa, but not the sauna that was available also.

The hotel's website (within all MIrvac Sydney hotels) is showing between $150 & 185 (Australian) Breakfast will be additional, but there are cafes round about where you can get a cheaper brekkie.

Helpful Tip: Do a google search & see what internet booking sites come up & what prices you can get. Check the hotel's website below. Also talk to your own travel agent. See who gives you the best price & what you feel most comfortable with.

Directions: Go to the website below & then click on Sydney. All Sydney hotels will be listed so scroll down to this one. There is a map availabe to give you some orientation to that end of town.

warney's Profile Photo

Good Location

by written on February 16, 2004

Not a bad hotel, a little more expensive than I thought it should be but you really are paying for the central location. Within a 3 minute walk to Central Station and only 3 stops from circular quay by train it really is a great place to stay.

There is a 24 hour convenience store on the corner (seperate to the hotel), the train station is close as already stated. Chinatown is also a 10 minute walk away and 5 minute walk away from the Lion King theatre. All in all a top location.

Unique Quality: Staff are friendly, pool is great - it can get busy in the evening - if you can get a room on the 4th floor (pool floor) and as for a room where you can see the pool, you'll know when it's busy or not. The pool closes at approx 10pm every night.

The gym is small but ok if you want a quick workout, doesn't have a rowing machine unfortunately. There is also a sundeck with chairs on the 5th floor.

I'm very satisfied as it was very clean, staff were good especially concierge and the location ideal.

Directions: 800 metres from Central Station. Costs approx AU$18/22 for a taxi from the airport or a AU$10 shuttle bus.

Nearby Citigate Sebel Sydney

Citigate Sebel Sydney

• Citigate Hotel Sydney
  • Sebel Surry Hills Sydney
  • The Sebel Surry Hills Hotel Sydney

Address: 28 Albion St, (formerly Furama Hotel Central), Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia

3 Photos of Citigate Sebel Sydney

• Shuttle Service
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Sydney Travel Forum

Need advice about Sydney, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sydney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sydney hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Carlton Crest Hotel Sydney
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Medina Grand Sydney
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Metro Hotel Sydney (300 Pitt Street.)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews