Citigate Sebel Sydney

28 Albion St, (formerly Furama Hotel Central), Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia

Rydges Sydney Central
Agoda.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

LITTLE HOTEL near the CITY CENTRE

We only stayed for one night here to celebrate wedding anniversary with our kids. We chose this place as it was described as close to the city centre and we hoped it was not too close as to being noisy. this was not the problem.

We always want to avoid crowds whenever we can despite wanting to have a bit of fun in the city. It has a good deal for a family which included breakfast which was not bad at all.

Our room had two queen beds, a moderately sized bathroom, tv, aircon, coffee/tea making, etc. The place has an indoor pool as well which the boys used the next morning before we checked out. I stayed in our room reading the papers!

My problem with this hotel is the slow service at the bistro- Cipp's. After a whole day wallking around the city- going to Powerhouse Museum and at around Darling Harbour, we decided to try this place for dinner. I shall have another page for this bistro.

There was no one at the place when we first went in and that was around 5:30 pm. There was someone at the bar so we got his attention and we to get our orders. I didn't see many people at the bar either so I don't know why the service is this place is awfully slow!

A woman came to take our dinner orders and these too took ages! The food is relatively fine, especially the Indian fare- butter chicken with the Basmati rice. The rest of our meal was not so bad but not too exciting either!

They do have kids' meal I think but I still will not recommend this place for fine dining!

The checkin/out was also also slow! There was a long line checking out in the morning and there were only two people attending to us!

Unique Quality: Nothing is really unique in the positive side. There are better hotels I am sure near the city. Anway, it is still a long walk from many attractions so avoid this place if you can!

But I can matter of factly say it is amazing how slow the service was despite it not being full at all! There were probably only 3 to 4 tables occupied and they all have two people on those tables! Unbelievable unless people come here much later.

We were just lazy to go outside to dine or get room service as there were not many choices in the menu as well!

Perhaps we should have taken the hint that locals and patrons alike here prefer to eat out as well, far away from this place I suppose!

At least we had a good meal somewhere in Chinatown, I forgot the name. Hubby said not to fuss too much as it would ruin our anniversary.

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Acceptable 4 star hotel

About what you'd expect given the price. It was nice to be able to wake up in the morning at go for a swim as well.

Facilities are comfortable, and we enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Service was what you'd expect for a hotel of that range.

Not a bad place to stay.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Functional comfort

I'm certainly getting through the hotels in Sydney! 13th different one on the list now...

Citigate Sebel is at the budget end of business and group booking hotels. It's functional, contemporary, spacious without it being stylish, innovative or cutting edge. It's exactly what you would expect from a chain of hotels that have within their 'portfolio' a mix of expensive luxury through to places such as Citigate Sebel. Unlike some hotel chains where they pitch only at the top end of the market or others where the architecture and lay-out of the rooms are almost identical in every city in the world, Sebel target a mix of clientele but also trade on their name of good quality and functionality.

So furnishings and fittings are mass produced but not cheap and nasty. Lots of marble and glass in the public rooms, with decent size rooms, opening windows etc in the bedrooms. There's a large (if somewhat empty) sun terrace on the 5th floor and an in-door pool/spa and sauna on the 4th floor. Whilst again, no awards will be won for the design if the pool area, at least it's there!

Unique Quality: Friendly, helpful staff, decent size rooms, an indoor swimming pool make Citigate Sebel a perfectly comfortable place to stay. Its main drawback is the location. A few minutes walk from Central Station make it quite a long way from the main sights and there are few cafes in the vicinity other than those on the ground floor of office blocks. But at least having the station a few minutes away makes it easy to get to places. And at AUD$119 for a de-luxe room through wotif.com (2 night minimum stay), it's pretty good.

IT'S HARD TO FAULT - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND THUS IS A VERY GOOD VALUE BUDGET BUSINESS HOTEL

Directions: 5 minutes walk from Central Station

• Dy2005's Profile Photo

Next to Central Train Station

I stayed in Citigate Sebel (former Furama Central) in Sydney in 2000 and just recently in 2005.

Had a totally different experience for both occasions. First experience was pleasant. I was back to revisit the city and decided to stay in the same hotel. Pretty good location. Stone's throw from Central train station. about 5-10 mins walk from Chinatown, George Street. Might be a bit quiet at night if you are a solo female traveller.

The TV channels were really lousy. Only had about 5 channels available while the rest were pay-TV. Requested for High floor but was given room on second level.

Expected hotel to be spruced up compared to 5 years back but seems like nothing has changed over the 5 years.

Well, if you have a bigger budget, Avillion Hotel would definitely be an excellent choice in Sydney.

Directions: 5 mins walk from Central Train Station

• simonneho's Profile Photo

Not bad but...

I stay in this hotel in Sept 2004. It was clean and nice, there is even a 7-eleven next door and Domino Pizza!
    One thing for sure you gotto do a lot of walking from hotel to Chinatown and the city area eg :QVB.

Overall its nice. I would stay in somewhere nearer the city next time eg :Wakeup!

Unique Quality: The breakfast was good. I actually had so much that i could skip lunch!

Directions: Chinatown (a bit further though)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Nice View Over Central Station from our Room

This is another hotel I stayed at that wasn't of my own choosing, but because I wasn't paying for it & because it was hosting the conference I was co-presenting a workshop at it was ideal accommodation. If I was staying in the city with my family it would depend on why we were there to determine where we would stay. I'd stay here for the Surry Hills, Broadway, Darling Harbour & Chinatown attractions as I mention below. Mind you I think I'd still prefer to stay down near the water if I had a choice.

It's like all good quality city hotels in the respect of the facilities & amenities it provides. While it would be in the second tier of hotels in our lovely city I didn't find that anything was lacking.

Unique Quality: This hotel is in a good location in regard to Central Station which takes you back around the City Circle Stations of Museum, St James, Circular Quay, Wynyard, Town Hall then back up to Central & on to ultimate destinations out of the city. Some head across the bridge to nthn suburbs stations. The light rail is virtually right outside the door & services this top end of the city, being particularly helpful in getting to the Powerhouse Museum, Chinatown & Darling Harbour with the Aquarium & the Maritime Museum & of course the Star City Casino.
    What I enjoyed most after a day of conferencing was to have a workout in the fully equiped gym then shower off & have a swim in the 20m heated, indoor pool then finish off with a spa, but not the sauna that was available also.

The hotel's website (within all MIrvac Sydney hotels) is showing between $150 & 185 (Australian) Breakfast will be additional, but there are cafes round about where you can get a cheaper brekkie.

Helpful Tip: Do a google search & see what internet booking sites come up & what prices you can get. Check the hotel's website below. Also talk to your own travel agent. See who gives you the best price & what you feel most comfortable with.

Directions: Go to the website below & then click on Sydney. All Sydney hotels will be listed so scroll down to this one. There is a map availabe to give you some orientation to that end of town.

• warney's Profile Photo

Good Location

Not a bad hotel, a little more expensive than I thought it should be but you really are paying for the central location. Within a 3 minute walk to Central Station and only 3 stops from circular quay by train it really is a great place to stay.

There is a 24 hour convenience store on the corner (seperate to the hotel), the train station is close as already stated. Chinatown is also a 10 minute walk away and 5 minute walk away from the Lion King theatre. All in all a top location.

Unique Quality: Staff are friendly, pool is great - it can get busy in the evening - if you can get a room on the 4th floor (pool floor) and as for a room where you can see the pool, you'll know when it's busy or not. The pool closes at approx 10pm every night.

The gym is small but ok if you want a quick workout, doesn't have a rowing machine unfortunately. There is also a sundeck with chairs on the 5th floor.

I'm very satisfied as it was very clean, staff were good especially concierge and the location ideal.

Directions: 800 metres from Central Station. Costs approx AU$18/22 for a taxi from the airport or a AU$10 shuttle bus.

More about Citigate Sebel Sydney

Need to fix up the basics!

by TripAdvisor Member Maccan

I got a deal off Wotif to stay at the Citigate Sebel when going to Sydney for the Australia Day Long weekend. I have used the Citigate before so knew that it wasn't a five star. The room was nice but was pretty annoyed that basic expectations weren't met.

Firstly, our access key didn't work properly - the light went green but the door wouldn't release- not a big problem until you come home late and then have to go down to reception and get them to come up and help you get into your own room. We weren't the only ones who had this problem, we passed another couple in the hallway having the same problem as us! It took the staff person numerous go's before they could get it open either.

Also our TV didn't work (well one channel was available, the remote wouldn't change channel and you couldn't change it on the actual tv either) Called reception, they sent up someone with spare remote which wouldn't work either, so they said they would have to get maintenence to come up and fix it but couldn't guarantee how soon it would be done!

Filled out a feedback form just to let them know that these were the only things we weren't happy about and asked them to call us - a month later and still nothing.......

Smelly, dirty, stuffy...

by TripAdvisor Member MissPeaches

I stayed for one night at this hotel in January. In Australia that's the middle of summer.

I had asked for a non smoking room, but somehow ended up in a smoking room. When enquiring about being moved to a room I was advised that wasn't possible. This despite the vacancy being advertised outside of the hotel.

On top of that I was on level 4, outside the swimming pools. Unfotunately the rooms aren't adqueately sound proofed to block out the noise of teenagers dive bombing in the pool.

I attempted to get the airconditioning to work to no avail. When I rang down to reception (again) they treated me like I was stupid and told me how to use the remote control. Upon explaining that I had tried that already they finally agreed to come up and take a look. After about 1/2 an hour of hanging out of the ceiling it was declared that the system was broken. I was told they would be back shortly to fix the problem. Sure enough they were, with a screwdriver. To unbolt the windows and open them so I could have some air. Along with that came all the Sydney city traffic noise.

The room itself was dusty and gave me horrible hayfever as a result.

I would never stay here again and must say that I was thoroughly disappointed.

id go back here

by TripAdvisor Member holiday888

I really loved the Citygate Sebel. I stayed for one night, and we booked this hotel for the locaiton. Its really easy to get to from central station.

The room was quite nice, very clean and we had a large balcony.

The indoor pool and spa were great. There is an atrium next to them and you can get access to the roof from this area.

overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

Sydney

Hi,
I'm planning to go to Sydney in October. This will be my first
time. Are the following hotels in safe areas ?
- Cambridge Park Inn International Sydney
- Citigate Sebel Sydney
- Quality Hotel SC sydney

Is it better to get the sydney pass or to get the Red Travelpass ? The price difference is quite substantial
Sydney pass - AUD 150 / week and the Red Travelpass
is AUD 30 / week.

Thanks.

Re: Sydney

by TwinkleOz

Hi

What streets are these hotels on?

How long do you plan to stay in Sydney? If you are just staying around the city, you can get a weekly ticket which allows to you catch unlimited bus, train and ferry.

Hi Twinkle,
I'm planning on being there for 7 days. The hotels are on the following streets.

- Cambridge Park Inn International Sydney

is on Goulburn street

Thanks.

Re: Sydney

by colin_bramso

They're all in pretty safe areas, the first two in an inner residential suburb called Surry Hills, the Quality is more in the city centre. They're all good locations for getting around.

Hi All,
Thanks for the information and suggestions.

by w3ndes

i get the red travel pass every week and its unlimited travel on train, bus and ferry in the red zone which encompasses pretty much the city and also north shore areas. particularly city, bondi etc just buy the red travel pass esp if you're to stay around these areas. for 7days its quite substantial. even if you decide to travel further that the pass doesn't cover won't be much more to pay. 150$ quite a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion with the red pass W3ndy