Clarion on the Park Parramatta

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Sydney

Fort DenisonFort Denison

Harbour BridgeHarbour Bridge

Liz and I with Fuzzball (2007)Liz and I with Fuzzball (2007)

So much wine to choose from....So much wine to choose from....

131A Victoria St Potts Point - anyone stayed there?

by matkailuhullu

Hi, has anyone of you stayed in a vacation rental at 131A Victoria St Potts Point?
They are asking to pay for it in advance direct debit and I am wondering if it is real, legimite and ok. Just to make sure that we have accommodation when we fly to Sydney.
Thanks.

Re: 131A Victoria St Potts Point - anyone stayed there?

by lynnehamman

Hi

It seems perfectly legit.

Here is the website:

Re: 131A Victoria St Potts Point - anyone stayed there?

by matkailuhullu

That's where I found it in the first place. But then I went to Stayz.com and for some reason made an enquiry through them. I got a reply from the manager and they want me topay direct debit to their account. I suspect it is ok, but just want to be sure...
And stayz.com doesn't have a rental quarantee.
I thought that if someone has used this rental before, I'll be fine renting it.
thanks.

Travel Tips for Sydney

The Secret Garden

by iandsmith

This is a gem. Around Sydney there are places like it but invariably they are known to the locals and the general tourist population passes them by. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I'd been meaning to visit this place for a couple of years and finally had the time and the inclination when I went down to trial for a TV show and had a few hours to spare.
This place has a history and that makes it even more fascinating.
It is linked to the late artist Brett Whiteley who achieved considerable fame not only in Australia but overseas until his drug fuelled demise.
He had a few women in his life but Wendy is the one to whom we owe a debt for this piece of Australiana.
I got off the ferry at McMahons Point and immediately asked a local where the garden was. She didn't know but had always meant to visit it. I walked on further, up and down stairs (pic 2), along streets with fleeting glimpses of the harbour (pic 3).
Another lady came pushing a pram up a steep incline and I asked her where the Brett Whiteley garden was. "Who's Brett Whiteley?", she asked in a pronounced English accent. It wasn't going well but I figured I had to be in the right area. Eventually I found myself beside the railway at Lavender Bay, still without any idea where the garden was so I decided I'd go to the club I had to attend later and get some directions.
Around me were historical remnants of early Sydney. Old slipways, ship repair places and a water board building (4).

I would like to take a friend...

by Viara

I would like to take a friend to a nice restaurant on Watsons bay or resaurant at Bondi. I miss the most the walks on Coogee Beach and swim at Clovelly beach. Also I like to go for an evening walk at Brighton Le Sand - Rockdale.

Another Great Sydney Adventure

by cjg1

This past trip to Sydney was my longest time in the city of all my trips. I saw alot of atractions I had previous and some new ones thanks to Liz. Some of my favorite times wer just walking along the Botanical gardens or riding a ferry. Sydney is a special place and I love showing it to Liz. It was her first visit to Sydney and had always wanted to go since she was a little girl. It was a special time and we got to celebrate her birthday down under. It was great to see The Gondoliers at the Sydney Opera House for Liz's birthday. It was something both of us wanted to do and we were able to get tickets and very good seats.

The Rocks

by iandsmith

If it's history you're after then you'll undoubtedly have The Rocks pencilled in as a "must-see" on your itinerary and rightly so.
Though much of it was rescued just in time before the developers got hold of it, these days its importance is clearly recognized.
The Rocks is one of the most-visited parts of Sydney. It is not hard to see why. Nestled at the foot of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and on the western shores of Sydney Cove, The Rocks is the foundation place of Sydney and Australia, and of enormous historical signifiance. It is often described as "Sydney's outdoors museum".
Its recent transformation is an amazing metamorphosis, the old district being turned into a vibrant pocket of cafes and restaurants and interesting tourist shops and stalls. This has been achieved without destroying the area's Old World charm and historic buildings. Sydney's town planners have put in place a sensitive conservation program that has preserved the heritage and character of The Rocks and brought about an interesting fusion of modern amenities in an old and valued setting.
Most activities centre around walking, looking and eating. The Rocks is Sydney's oldest preserved colonial district so the main emphasis is on the historical importance of the area. The Sydney Visitor Centre, Corner, Argyle and Playfair Streets, The Rocks (Open daily 9.30am to 5.30pm [Closed Good Friday and Christmas Day]), is a logical and excellent starting point. This centre has a wealth of information on points of interest around The Rocks and provides free information and literature, as well as having souvenirs and momentos that can be purchased. Going for a stroll around here you may see a misplaced Captain Cook (pic 2) or choose to visit Australia's oldest pub, though not oldest-continually-serving pub, that belongs elsewhere. There are many gorgeous sandstone buildings as you stroll down the street that dot this area that eventually ends up under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
The wonderful old police station (pic 4), now a bar, is just one of many examples of what the area used to look like while the gothic spire on the nearby hotel shows how different architectural styles were embraced.
Each weekend over 100 stall holders set up a market there, open from 10 till 5 or 6pm on summer days. This gives a wonderful atmosphere to the area.

St Mary's Cathedral -

Free...

by sczabeti

St Mary's Cathedral -

Free guided tours of the Cathedral & Crypt Sundays 12noon, following the Solemn Sung Mass.

Magnificent stained glass windows are a feature of this superb Catholic Cathedral.

A fine example of Gothic architecture, St Mary’s holds daily masses and a choral mass on Sunday.

Comments