488 George St, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• joshuaone's Profile Photo

Great Location, but Typical Hilton

I will start this with saying that I am a Diamond Member with Hilton and therefore probably received better service than most, although I find that hard to believe. I will give you the good points first. It's in a great location, very close to Darling Harbor and only about a 20 to 25 minute walk to the Rocks, the Bridge or the Opera House. The hotel is surrounded by more shopping than anyone could ever want from souvenir shops to Gucci and everything in between. The rooms are very nice, have great showers that are separate from the baths and they have DVD players in the room so bring something to watch. (there are only about 4 channels on the TV) The also have an incredible gym if you want to work out during your stay. Also, about half the people you meet will be very friendly but I realized by the end of our stay that it was only on the condition that you follow their rules and didn't want anything that was inconvenient for them.

The bad side is a little more specific to our stay, but something I think people should be aware of, especially since everyone has their own little pet peeves yet Hilton doesn't seem to be able to accommodate for that as other hotels seem to be. First, they advertise that they have all these bars but fail to mention that none of them are just casual comfortable bars to crab a drink in. We were refused entry to two of them for not being dressed nice enough, (we were in jeans and t-shirts as most tourists are), and the other we were told we would have to stand in the line that went half way around the block. There was no special consideration given to guests of the hotel. There are no ice machines, you are forced to call room service each time you want ice, and although they were very nice about it, having to tip each time we wanted ice was a bit ridiculous. We were charged for a movie and quite a few mini bar items that we didn't receive and although they did finally take the move off it was only because I threw a fit and they made no bones about telling me they thought I was lying. And if you are used to the executive rooms in the US that offer breakfast for elite members, forget the rules there. The options and times are very limited, you are seated as if in a restaurant and don't even think about taking the meal back to your room as you can do in the states. Not to mention the maid just moving stuff around each day and throwing away things they shouldn't be throwing away, it just seemed that every day they were doing something that got on our nerves. In typical Hilton fashion, they make their rules to suit them, not their guests.

If you are just looking for a nice place to sleep and expect nothing else, then you could definitely do worse, but if you are expecting any type of customer service, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Unique Quality: The rooms are very nice and the gym (although not theirs you do have access to it) is second to none.

Directions: Directly in the middle of the city.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Right in the city centre

The Hilton has recently undergone a $100 million renovation, so just about everything is new - although the famous Marble Bar was kept just as it was.

It's typical Hilton in terms of facilities and service, although personally I don't like the design of the public areas. The rooms though are very good, especially the Executive floor rooms which are huge and some of the best in town. They also give you access to the Executive Club with complimentary breakfast, evening drinks & snacks.

Unique Quality: The Executive floor rooms are exceptional, beautifully designed and finished, with plenty of space, a walk-in wardrobe and very large bathroom.

Naturally they have bathrobes, slippers, iron & board, hair dryer, full range of bathroom toiletries, plenty of new fluffy towels, a workdesk, broadband internet access.

Directions: Right in the centre of the city opposite the Queen Victoria Building, the hotel stretches between George Street and Pitt Street.

• silly659's Profile Photo

A great place to stay in Sydney if you can afford

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, if if its in your budget. We stayed for one night after exausting all the hostels. It was wonderful. It's in a great location, lots of restaurants near by and things to do. It's contemporary decor from the moment you walk in to your bedroom had me taking pictures non-stop. The service was wonderful and the staff was friendly. They held our bags the following day for us until we left town. THe morning we left, we went to the pool, it was quiet and clean and big enough to do laps. We then realxed in the jacuzzi, which was a good size and finshed off with the sauna. It was a pleasure to stay here and I would do it again in a heart beat(of course if the finances allowed it.

Unique Quality: It's in a great location. The pool is great, and they have a steam room. The bar upstairs is chic and a great place to relax and have a drink. THey also have interent in the room which makes it perfect if you have business to take care of.

Directions: It's next to town hall station and the the Queen Vicotria building and walking distance to Darling Harbor

• sneakye's Profile Photo

Stay in Style

I was lucky enough to get a free stay with one of the staff who worked at the Hilton.
    I have never stayed in such luxury in all my life!
    We got to stay in a standard room - which has a large queen sized bed, a flat screen
    tv with various foxtel chanels and a lovely bathroom with shower and bath - and of
    course some lovely white robes to wear (but you can't take them home unless you pay for them) - I believe this standard room was over $200 AU a night. Apparently the luxury suites have a bath at the end of the bed and an even bigger tv.
    We were also lucky enough to dine at the Glass Brasserie - 5 star service, including a personal waiter who manages small sections of the room - so you get top service. The food was amazing, i've never been so full in my life. I'm glad we didn't have to pay because the dinner ended up being around $230 AU.
    The Hotel is one of the newest in Sydney. The interior has very modern, shieke designs - decorated by some of the worlds best interior designers.
    The staff are all professional, well dressed and polite - from the people who greeted me at reception to the lovely gentleman who hailed me a cab and opened the door for me i've never felt quite so pampered in my life.

Unique Quality: Like all Hiltons - the Sydney Hilton has a LivingWell facility - with exercise equipment, saunas and spas. The service her is of course 5 star. You are greeted at the front desk and given your own personal towel and directed to the facilities that you want to go to.

Funtion Rooms - The Hilton is equipped with many large function / event rooms for all sorts of occasions.

Location - One of the best things about the Hilton is it is close to some of the best areas in Sydney - the Queen Victoria Building is right across the road and it is also close to The Rocks and Darling Harbour. It is also easy to get to by public transport.

Bars and Restraunts - Situated all in the Hilton there are many places to dine and have fun.
    Be aware that everything is rather expensive and it may be best to exit the hotel and go down to the local bar!

Directions: Nearest Station - Town Hall then a short walk.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

A Little Bit of Luxury

The only way I would stay here is the way we did, on my husband's free hotel points! It was a very nice hotel, but for as much as it costs to even stay there, it drives me crazy that internet access in your room is an additional $29 per day, plus the high prices on everything in the mini bar. If you do stay there, just buy your own drinks and snacks and use their fridge.

Also, the website doesn't seem to work properly to make reservations, so you will probably have to call in. Therefore, I couldn't figure out exactly what it costs to stay there per night, but my hubby said probably about $299/night. There are no rooms with two double beds... just a room with a king or two single beds or you have to spring for adjoining rooms or a suite.

Unique Quality: Recently renovated with modern furnishings - I really liked the glass desk - and you could operate the blinds and all the lights in the place from a panel right next to the bed

I am also a bath time expert and they had a wonderful, relaxing bathtub! It was just the right length and had the perfect slope at the back for lounging. The bath gel in the room also provided very nice bubbles!

However, the bathroom walls & doors were completely glass (frosted, but still...) so you probably don't want to stay in a room with someone you don't know very well! :)

Directions: Between 488 George Street and this Pitt Street address.

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Conveniently Located

The rooms were very comfortable. The staff extremely nice. The concierge was very open to making suggestions, helped with directions, and will help you when interested in booking reservations,tours, and so forth. You are located in a central area of the city. Just minutes away from all the main attractions! Everything is within walking distance.

More about Hilton Sydney

Nice centeral place to stay

by Bryfred about Sydney Hilton

We stayed three nights at the Sydney Hilton and thought it was a wonderful place to headquarter for our Sydney visit. Just a couple of doors down the street is a Monorail station for a train that circles the central city. This makes a very convenient way to travel around the city. We checked several other places for rates and found them to be very competitive. An excellent all-inclusive breakfast is included!

Great Sydney Hotel

by MarkEStevens about Sydney Hilton Hotel

I have been staying at the Hilton Hotel in Sydney Australia. I am a Hilton Hhonors VIP Diamond member and used to receiving special treatment. But this hotel is much better than most hotels i have stayed. The staff here are great and the executive lounge is very nice. For VIP members, breakfast is included and evening cocktails with good snacks are also included.

Internet access at the hotel is high speed and works well, but expensive. I trick though is to purchase a monthly rate from ipass.com for $45 and use it to access the internet at the hotel. Much cheaper than the $30/night rate at the hotel. If you are traveling with a colleague, more than one person can be signed in at the same time.

The staff here are very good. I mistakenly left my portfolio in the executive lounge one night. One of the staff delivered the item to my room early the next day. Good service!

I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

'A first class experience'

Each and every detail has been addressed to ensure the stay is a memorable one. From impeccable service to the pillow menu in the relaxation room, ensures your Hilton Sydney experience is first class. I cheked out looking forward to my next stay.

Hotel all Class

by TripAdvisor Member travel1966

We stayed at the Sydney Hilton in February and were initially impressed with the modern decor and design of the rooms.

Staying on the Executive level was nice and waking up to enjoy breakfast in the Executive lounge was a treat.

Enjoyed dinner in Glass the same night we stayed and have to rate it as the "must visit" restaurant in Sydney. The food, ambience and service was excellent and the smell of freshly baked bread wafting over to our table had us in food heaven.

sydney hotels

by duxy

hi
getting married in sydney in december staying with friends but spending wedding night in a hotel. can anyone recommend a really good hotel to spend our wedding night?

by TwinkleOz

There are many nice hotels around the harbour which you can spend your wedding night at. Four Seasons and Park Hyatt are located around the Rocks area - all within walking distance to the opera house. I have stayed at Four Seasons with a harbour view and it was just the best! Other 5* hotels include the Intercontinental and Raddison. If you aren't looking for something with a "harbour view" there is Sheraton on the Park and "new" Hilton Sydney. I have stayed at Hilton Sydney and found the stay to be satisfactory. Nothing special but a great hotel.

by aYankinSyd

Good list up above...The Shangri La is another good one with great views...

You probably want to book earlier if you're thinking about the nicer hotels, but a great website with discounted offers (but maybe more importantly for you a pretty good list of a lot of hotels in Sydney) is at www.wotif.com.au

Have fun!

by colin_bramso

All good suggestions. Whichever hotel you choose, make sure you specify 'harbour view room'.

Comments