Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)

68 Harbour St, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Great location poor administration

The hotel is in a wonderful location which is its key selling point. The room I stayed in is slightly small for 3 star standard and was tired. The major issues I had related to hotel administration. Not only are costs for internet excessive you need to take care with the security deposit. The hotel held my security deposit for over 14 days and it was only released after several phone calls which was a very frustrating experience as no one seemd to want to accept responsibility for the problem. I regularly stay at Holilday Inn and Crowne Plaza hotels in Australia and overseas and enjoy the experience but this location has the poorest administration by far.

Unique Quality: Centrally located to Darling Harbour and the city centre it is a great location.

Directions: Close to Darling Harbour and Sydney CBD.

• haikugirlmanila's Profile Photo

In the middle of everything

ROOMS:
    The rooms are clean, spacious, though decor-wise just average, mostly with just the basics. My room had two single beds (I tried getting a double, but they apperently don't have much of that). The amenities are complete, and I especially appreciate the fact that they supply the room with an ironing board for pressing clothes. Toiletries are from RED EARTH, which make very good shampoos, but the soap just leaves skin dry. Unfortunately, my room has the backroom view of Chinatown and was not very pleasant. But for those who are fortunate to get a room facing the Sydney Entertainment Center, that view is excellent because the vista extends to the harbour.

STAFF:
    The concierge guys are extremely helpful, especially in assisting us in getting maps, how to ride the monorail, where to shop, etc. One guy actually sat down with us to help plot out how to spend our free days. Also, I checked out and forgot my cellphone. When I went back to see if it's still there, they immediately handed it to me. Very trust-worthy!

LOCATION:
    Right in front of Sydney Entertainment Center. After watching a musical, all you have to do is cross the street to get home.
    Near Chinatown and Paddy's Market. You know those UGs and other Australian souvenirs, they're half the price here!
    Walking distance to Harbourside, Sydney Aquarium, Chinese Garden, etc.

INTERNET:
    Holiday inn charges A$27 per day for the internet. That's steep. There's no free wifi anywhere. My advice is to get a Telstra or Optus wifi card and just hang around the lobby to get the signal.

• Competent Accomodation

As a business traveller my stays at the HI Darling Harbour have always been smooth. The HI no muss, no fuss attitude suits a business traveller to a tee. The location is handy, albeit a little removed from the CBD to walk (otherwise a 5 minute taxi ride). Service can be a little hit and miss, the huge benefit of the hotel is the multilingual ability of the staff.

Rooms are large and clean, and the bathroom amenities are excellent. Stay in the executive rooms for an "enhanced" amenities kit (includes bath bomb). Guestrooms have tea/coffee and the standard mini-bar (be sure to check your mini-bar when you check in and tell the front desk should something be amiss).

A business centre is available on the 1st floor. I didn't appreciate the welcome sign in the foyer though (they welcome their arriving guests by name on this sign for all to see - not really private). There is a small gym, spa and sauna for guest use. The gym has modern equipment. There are two restaurants and a bar (your standard hotel restaurant fare here).

For business travel I'd have to recommend some of the hotels closer to the CBD before I'd recommend the HI. For family travel I'd recommend the suites as they are spacious and clean.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Great Location

We stayed here mainly for a respite and stop over from travel overseas. The superior suite we had was just what we needed. We did not have breakfast inlcuded so cannot comment.
    Bathroom was ample for our needs and the bed extremely comfortable- to the point we actually had a sleep mid afternoon!!

Unique Quality: Most outstanding quality for us was the location - a street back from Chinatown and we could walk easily to downtown Sydney! On the corner opposite was a large shopping centre containing a very large Asian supermarket and other shops. Across the road was an ugly conference centre so you would not stay for the views!!

Directions: Close to Chinatown and Sydney CBD

• Holiday Inn Darling Harbour

The Holiday Inn Darling Harbour is very, very good. This is becoming quite unusual in the bland, tedious worl of chain hotels, but - to be honest - Holiday Inns are becoming a cut above the rest. [I have absolutely no connection with them or IC hotels!!].

The HI Darling Harbour is in a converted warehouse down by the harbour, so the rooms are quite spacious, although they can feel a little gloomy (because there are no huge picture glass windows).

The location is great, just around the corner from Chinatown and close to the rail station and all the sights of old Sydney.

The room has the usual....TV, coffee/tea making, excellent shower and bathrooom, and very comfortable beds.

• Scotsgal's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn Hotel Darling Harbour

I liked this hotel as it was near the monorail for transportation. Across the street from Mcdonalds(good for breakfast). 5 mins walk from Darling Harbour. 2 mins walk from China Town.

Unique Quality: Good internet access. This hotel has a gym and sauna too.

More about Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)

Excellent location and value, helpful staff. Recommended.

by TripAdvisor Member Nitram123

For about Aus$180 a night (about£80 sterling)the Holiday Inn, Darling Harbour is excellent value for money. It's pretty functional, certainly not luxurious but the rooms are large, bathrooms very good and the location (within China Town) ideal for eating out (the Szeuchan restaurant immediately behind the hotel is outstanding). Darling Harbour is a very pleasant five minute walk away.
Staff could not have been more helpful, responding flexibly when our backpacking daughter arrived to stay with us. We were upgraded to a double Queen room without charge.

Good location and great value

by TripAdvisor Member jimbo2903

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour during November for 5 nights, then another 2 at the end of the month.

The rooms are of a good standard, with plenty of space, decent facilities and the staff, especially the concierge team are great.

In terms of location, Darling Harbour is about a 5 minute walk across the road where there are countless bars and restaurants. Chinatown is just behind the hotel and I'd recommend a restaurant called the Noble Dragon - turn left out of the hotel, then first left and it's just up ahead.

George Street, the main shopping area is 5 minutes walk away as well. We walked down to Circular Quay quite often to the Opera House which took about 30 minutes.

All in all, I'd recommend the Holiday Inn at Darling Harbour.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member roachyg

I just returned from a week at the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour. It was typical of the chain. I paid 160 AUD and stayed in a 34 SQ meter room which included a sofabed, a wing chair, a desk and a bar top with cabinets below that held the refrigerator and mini bar. The room was clean and spacious with everything in working order, except for the sofa, which they changed at my request. The bath was clean and spacious. The entire staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. 2 restaurants with a good selection.
The location was great because it sits on the edge of China Town, Darling Harbour (a 5 minute walk), Central Train Station (a 10 minute walk unless you take the light rail that is located directly across the street), next door to a large mall and a market(open Thur-Sun), McDonalds across the street (if you are not a full breakfast person or do not want to pay $22), and a 24 hr internet shop across the street.
I would stay here again and would recommend it.

Good location and value, but service is below average

by TripAdvisor Member jtm1607

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Darling Harbor for a week, and overall it was certainly a decent hotel. Darling Harbor is a good location for tourist activities and the room rates at this hotel are reasonable for Sydney. It's my understanding that this particular Holiday Inn was recently rennovated. Our room was spaceous and well-appointed, with the only downside being the bathroom - which must not have been a high priority in the rennovation budget. But our bathroom were certainly bearable.

The biggest weakness that we encountered here was the service. For example, their concierge desk didn't have much of a clue when it came to the most basic questions about Sydney. But then again, this is a Holiday Inn. So I was foolish to expect much.

The other element that may disappoint you is the gym, which is in a dingy room behind the laundry facilities and doesn't have much in the way of equipment.

If you're wanting to request a particular room I'd recommend asking for something on an upper floor facing the financial distict (George Street). The only potential problem that you might come across with room location might be facing directly into the monorail, which runs right next to this hotel and may give off some unwanted noise.

Otherwise, you shouldn't be disappointed with this hotel. Especially if you come in with Holiday Inn-esque expectations...

Hotel in Sydney

by 74422

Anybody can tell me which hotel in Sydney near the shopping mall, with compitive price and reliable.

Thanks.

Re: Hotel in Sydney

by laughingsun69

Hi if your wanting to be in the middle of things ie paddys markets ,chinatown ,darling harbour theres the holiday inn darling harbour fr $130 aus,
travelodge martin place $140 aus
hotel ibis $125 these are very central and less pricey ,
call 61 295 65 4137 or 1300 130 601 locally and they can help .

Re: Hotel in Sydney

by lou31

Try the Metro Apartments. They are fully self- contained and a short walk to Cockly Bay and Harbourside, Paddys Markets, Circular Quay, Chinatown and The Rocks. Situated on the corner of Sussex and King Sts. - straight accross from the Aquarium. Not sure exact price. The four of us paid $150 each for 3 nights. Look up the name on the net. There is a small grocery store right next door and a pub accross the road which has $5 - $10 meals. Any more info just email me
Cheers.....................Louise