Hotel Coronation

To: The
    The Coronation Hotel
    Park Street, Sydney, 2000

17/05/2011

RE: CUSTOMER SERVICE RECEIVED AT THE CORONATION HOTELTHE MORNING OF 17TH MAY, 2011 BETWEEN 11.15am and 12.30 pm.
    We write to you following our concerns at the way we believe many of the guests may be being treated at the above mentioned establishment following our stay at their hotel today (17/05/2011). We understand that many of their guests in the future may feel disparaged about staying in their hotel due to the irate nature of staff in their accommodation.
    As our new business office is being set up along George St in Sydney in a few weeks, both my partner and I were looking for short term accommodation to help us locate ourselves near-by for the many demands that our company needs from us in a few weeks.
    We came across The Coronation Hotel on Park St and following our check in yesterday (16th May, 2011) we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and cleanliness of the room we were given as we thought that the cost of the room was relatively cheap for how conveniently located it was to our new office above a 24/7 bar. We were also pleased with the quality of the food we had enjoyed the night before in the restaurant. The food and the service at the restaurant was excellent on (level 2) and it had encouraged us to perhaps stay with you again for several weeks (if possible) on our return to Sydney as we felt quite at home at a well catered for establishment.
    At 11.10 AM I left my wife Kathy sleeping in our room, informing her that it was close to checkout time and I was on my way to a friend’s house nearby only 2 blocks away on 29 Commonwealth Street, CBD to collect 2 larger red suit cases that would be more suitable to pack belonging’s into for our return journey that afternoon to Melbourne on Jetstar flight JQ521 at 3.40pm.
    On my way, I immediately bumped into “Jen” from the Reception Desk and had a brief conversation regarding vacating the room where we agreed that by 11.30AM a free late checkout was OK, however should we be any longer - it would be at a cost to ourselves of $25 per hour and that we were not welcome to stay any longer than 12pm as the cleaners had to go through our room in order to knock off work on time at 1pm. I agreed to pay $25 from our $50 Bond should that be necessary if I was not back on time to achieve this. I informed Jen from Reception of my plans to go nearby very quickly to collect the before mentioned large red suitcases. Immediately after having that conversation, I walked back into our room and informed my wife to rest until I had returned as we still had around 45 minutes to check out if necessary and that I would be back very soon and that we can re-pack our belongings and then and go downstairs for breakfast. Straight away I left and made haste for 29 Commonwealth Street. Upon my return journey only a short time later at 11.35AM, I rang my wife to let her know I was on my way back and we would be leaving shortly. My Wife sounded rather upset and informed me that somebody had abruptly entered the room uninvited and rudely demanded that she get out. My wife replied that “I have just woken up, what is this?”, Jen from Reception replied:”I’ll stand here and watch and wait for you to pack, get dressed and leave”.... My wife was also shocked to hear that “Jen” was saying that she “knocked 3 times” and “rang the room” before entering uninvited and intruding on my wifes’ privacy.
    I was shocked to say the least at hearing that what appeared to be a very nice lady had been treating my wife in such a manner where a verbal agreement had already been made and that I was lead to believe my wife would be allowed to rest peacefully within this time frame up until 12pm midday as would any other accommodation anywhere in my experience both in the industry and travelling. I was in total disbelief to be honest as to the conduct of their staff and went along with things on a neutral level until I had investigated what had gone on when my wife had later calmed down. After listening to both sides of the story I had at the time concluded that it was better for myself to side up with their reception staff in order to get my $50 back than cop the insult of being charged for this inhuman and unhospitable treatment. A call was even made during this time when Jen was in our room to the general manager during which I was informed that they were telling my wife about their problems administrating the running of the hotel?
    This behaviour is unprofessional to say the least. There are signs up in their hotel which state that “$25 per hour for late checkout after 11am”, so I do not see how this is such a big problem and I am sure this would adequately cover overtime for the cleaners in such a instance. Furthermore, people are paying to sleep in their accommodation, possibly drink and eat, or whatever way around you would have it. From my understanding out of years in the hospitality industry , an establishment that puts its staff before guests often results in poor turnover of profit in the long run and a bad reputation.
    I can see that The Coronation Hotel runs a 24-7 bar downstairs at the and often may have to deal with alot of riff raff and disrespectful guests. $109, after all is not alot of money for a night’s stay somewhere, however this does not mean that they should let their service levels slide, especially on the accommodation side of thing’s where guests should customarily always be treated with respect, be given the benefit of the doubt and be seen as an opportunity to boost positive word of mouth. My wife was also smirkingly told by the general manager at the bar that they were “all from the country” and “always made people feel welcomed and at home”. On the contrary let me tell you that both my wife and I have been staying in hotels for many years and have never been treated so badly. The manager also informed my wife when she said that she was going to take this matter (ie. the unreasonable treatment we received) up with the media, the Police and The Department of Fair Trading that she was welcome to go and do “whatever (she) liked”. My wife also informed the manager that she had also told The Department of Fair Trading that any refund gained from our letter / complaint would be “sent to charity”.
    We have advised the hotel since that if they have any doubts as to the truth of any of the above mentioned facts regarding the precise times where the alleged behaviour occurred, that it may help you to carry out auditing of the security systems of their hotel where we are sure they will see an accurate readout and visual of these incident’s.
    Furthermore I would like to add that we are not interested in ever eating, drinking or staying in any establishment owned or associated with the Coronation Hotel, Park Street in Sydney and will always be mindful of whether or not the hotels we go to have any link whatsoever with their hotel or group.
    Sincerely,

Luke & Kathy Shearing

Unique Quality: As above

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

STAY IN THE CENTRE OF SYDNEY

for our last night in Australia we wanted somewhere in the middle of Sydney with a comfortable bed and a bit of peace and quiet for a good nights sleep, and we werent disappointed with this hotel, it fitted the bill perfectly

the room was small but well furnished and clean with air conditioning

check out is 10am but there is a luggage store and the reception staff will arrange airport transportation for you

the hotel is only 150m from the Queen Victoria Building, and there are lots of tempting shops nearby, George St cinema is 200m away

Unique Quality: 21 double bed rooms

Park Street Bar...open 24 hours with great bar snacks, we had tandoori chicken and a bowl of potato wedges, the portions are very generous and very reasonably priced, there is also a gaming lounge

Mezz Restaurant and cocktail lounge