Hotel Sands

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Sydney

My Leffe and Jackie's Chimay BleuMy Leffe and Jackie's Chimay Bleu

Get your passport ready Ava....Get your passport ready Ava....

Trainer with a KoalaTrainer with a Koala

The MonorailThe Monorail

Accomodation in sydney

by annielm

Hi all,
I'm new to this so bear with me. Just wondering if anyon has advice on accomodation in Sydney over christmas and New Year. Me and my partner are travelling around Australia and hoping to be in Sydeny for new year celebrations. We are hoping to stay for approx a month, maybe more if we like it and find work. Therefore we dont want to be in a hostel this lenght of time or a hotel. Has anyone any advice? We got offer for apartment darlinghurst for 4weeks min @ $430/week is this good value??
Look forward to reply,
Cheers

by lynnehamman

The Darlinghurst apartment is excellent value. Its an interesting area- to say the least, and in any case, accommodation is difficult to find in Sydney over Christmas/New Year. Also NOT cheap. I would grab it quickly. Darlinghurst is also fairly close to city centre, and plenty of transport available.

by annielm

Thanks for reply,also found apartment in glebe area for $378 week which is great..it's shared but we don't mind. Hard to know what to read on Internet this is good way to find out useful info

Thanks again

by gdaysydneysider

check out http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/ there are usually short term rentals available

Travel Tips for Sydney

Sydney VT Meet 31st August 2002

by M0B1US

Well here we were in Sydney surfing the web when we found the Vitual Tourist Website - and a meeting to be held only two days away on the 31st organised by Helen (Hailun)...

Getting to the Town Hall steps at noon, we looked for the likely traveller types at this popular meeting point...

Lo and behold, the first group we approached were indeed the intrepid VTers!

After the introductions (see pic: clockwise from left to right, Me, Chet (Chetans), Morgan, Helen (Hailun), Ken (Kendable), Mei Leng (Dragontml), Ting (Tintinlee) and Liam(Gedebage)), Liam suggested a ferry ride from Circular Quay to watson's Bay for lunch at Doyle's Fish restaurant.

We had a fabulous sunny day for the last day of winter with temperatures at around 23 degrees celsius. Food was great with the bulk of us plumping for Fried Barrumundi fillet with chips! Afterwards we went for a nice walk up to the South Heads (entrance to Port Jackson) for a view of the Tasman sea and Sydney harbour back to the city.

We then returned to town for drinks and a meal at Jet cafe/bar at the QVB Building where we we met by Mei Leng's friend Celine, and Chet's wife Shilpa...

All in all we had a fantastic time meeting people from around the World, listening to great stories and making new friends - a perfect introduction to the World of VT!

Thanks to Helen for organising this and thanks to everyone else for turning up!

Sydney Tip

by Adriani

The city's impressive FINANCIAL DISTRICT is also worth checking out. A highly recommended activity to do here is to take the Captain Cook cruise for a 90-minute tour of SYDNEY HARBOUR and the surrounding areas.

A world apart

by iandsmith

The initial reaction, it must be said, is striking. From the claustrophobic walls of the lift to an endless panoramic extravaganza beyond the floor-to-ceiling glass 52 stories above the pavement is a bit of a shock, albeit a pleasant one.
The faint hum of air moving through the conditioning vents was all that disturbed the aural serenity but the optic nerves went into overdrive. Cars, cabs, buses and bikes lurching from light to light and sometimes, due the density of traffic, not lurching at all, simply frozen in position whilst cross traffic deterred any forward motion.
The dramatic presence of nearby towers with their night lights ablazing contrasted with a black outline beyond that designated the harbour boundaries. Others were in the room. Seven to be precise. Lyrical waxing about the splendiforous night vista of Australia's premier city was issuing from their vocal chords. Something wasn't happening for me. I found it interesting rather than fabulous, contrived rather than spectacular. Talk of "best views" etc. were being lost on me. There were lots of lights to be sure and it was certainly a priveleged position but something in my mind clicked and I what it had been trying to tell me surged into my conscious. Comboyne. Now there was a view to die for. There, nothing was contrived. On the verandah you can not only see the weather you can feel it, interact with it. It takes total hold of you and the sounds of thunder, lightning, birds and the whistling wind are supplied for your total enjoyment.
It was a seminal moment for me. Surprising that it came so late in life. But now I truly realised that my heart is not in the cities, though I may enjoy them from time to time. Sydney will always be a drawcard for me, but never a terminal destination.

Weddings in Sydney

by M0B1US

Consider this an excuse to get my Fiat Bambina picture in somewhere - sorry...! ;-)

Sydney seems to be a real hotspot for people to have their weddings!

It seems that every week you will come across wedding couples getting there snaps taken in front of one landmark or another...

This particular party I saw just after New Year's Day and I was taken by the procession of cute little Fiat cars - behind me is the Martin Place fountain, and the wedding couple were posing in front of that as well...

It seems to be a real thing in Australia to get some wedding shots 'on location', but then there are so many romantic and stylish settings all over Sydney.

Places I've seen couples taking photos include:

The Opera House

The Rocks

Sydney Harbour Bridge

The fountain in Hyde Park

The Chinese Garden

The Botanic Gardens

Really, that is just the tip of the iceberg for romantic locations, but it's a good start in this oh so photogenic city!

Why not come here for a honeymoon - you'll not be sorry!

Packing List

by Ilena

Make sure to take a jumper, umbrella and/or a raincoat because the weather can be rather erratic, even in summer. You can buy everything you need there. As in the whole of Australia, you now have to ask for paracetamol over the counter. Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses - that sun gets pretty hot.

Comments