271 Elizabeth St, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• Rambling_Rover's Profile Photo

Our Kind of Place

This was our favoite hotel for the whole trip to Australia. For a downtown Sydney hotel that was reasonably priced it had everything we were looking for. The room had a kitchenette with a usable refigerator and enough kitchenware that we could have prepared simple meals in the room if we wanted. There was plenty of space in the fridge where you could put your stuff. Unlike some others it was not filled up with expensive drinks and snacks so you couldn't fit a water bottle in there. Our room was spacious, the beds comfortable and had a spendid view of the Anzac Memorial in Hyde Park. Centrally located near Darling Harbour and within walking distance of a lot of what a tourist wants to see in Sydney you can't beat it!

Unique Quality: The staff was very friendly and helpful. Told us where the bus stops were and what buses to take. They gave us their suggestions for resturants and they were usually quite good and reasonably priced. Great views of the Southern end of Hyde Park from our room. They also provide a simple breakfast which is quite satisfying and was included in the room price. This was the only hotel we stayed in that offered this ameity during our trip to OZ. Another great feature of this hotel is after you land at the Sydney airport you can take the train into Sydney and get off at the Museum station which saves a bundle on cab fare. The hotel is right across the street from the station. (However, you will have to lug your bags up the steps from the station to the street.)

Directions: Southern end of Hyde Park

• Sydney Accomodation

Was a little disapointed from the moment we booked i had to make two phone calls to receive booking confirmation and still did not then when we checked in i showed them my rsl membership to receive the discount they had quoted me on (after yet another phone call to check if it was valid) and with no explanation they told me my rsl membership did now not entitle me to discount that they not only advertise but also quoted me on so then was informed my room was going to be an extra $50 PER NIGHT i explained to them that i had rang and checked 1st and they had approved my membership to have the girl behind the desk (who mind you should most defaintely not be working on front service desk more likely packing shelfs or at a loading dock) shrug her shoulders at me and roll her eyes!!! I fit wasnt for all our luggage, easter weekend and our very tired and teething 1 year old i would have left without a doubt. Then there was only one lift working the whole 4 days we were there EXCEPT for Easter Saturday when none worked... that was pretty fun carrying a pram and toddler down 14 flights of stairs. Contstantly had to ask reception for our advertised included continental breakfast and even then with three of us paying to stay in a room was not really suffice. ver noisy which i know that they cant help but maybe shouldnt advertise as a family hotel OR let people know that this is the case so that if they do have a baby that is a light sleeper that there is a fire station directly behind the hotel and that they usually get a call out every half hour... oh and if have children and staying in room with balcony highly dangerous the screen door didnt lock and even then screen was all ripped and child could quiet easily fit through railings so whole time we were there we had glass door closed and locked.

Unique Quality: View nice

More about Hyde Park Inn

Extremely annoyed and disappointed!

by TripAdvisor Member Search

We booked the Hyde Park Inn Sydney as a base to stay whilst we did the City 2 Surf Walk in August. It looked lovely on the website and got pretty good TA reviews so we thought we'd be fine. I rang them direct and booked a non smoking 2 bedroom unit for 5 nights and was given a quoted price, I mentioned how we would be doing the City 2 Surf Walk and how convenient it would be for us. My husband's secretary then rang and arranged payment, only to be told that the rates would be higher as it was the City 2 Surf weekend. They would not budge on it despite her explaining they had already quoted a rate. I then rang them and was told the same thing. I explained to them that they knew full well it was the weekend of the walk as I had mentioned it to them. They reluctantly agreed and we were given the orginal quoted rate. The unit itself was fine, despite a strong cigarette smoke smell in the hallways outside the room. As mentioned previously it has a full sized kitchen with everything you need to self cater. Our problems began on the second day when we came home from our day to find the room had been "cleaned" but no rubbish removed from the kitchen bench and the tea towel rolled up in a wet ball and not even replaced. I didn't complain as I figured it was just a simple oversight. However, when the same thing happened the next day and not only was rubbish left on the bench but food scraps and crumbs plus the tea towel still wasn't replaced I did go down to reception and complain. They were very apologetic and staff were sent up within 5 minutes to rectify the problem. Then my Mother's shawl went missing after the sheets had been changed so I alerted them to the fact and said that I imagine the shawl had accidently got caught up in the laundry and taken away. The receptionist's reply was to the effect of "Well that's gone then!" I had to push to get them to contact the laundry and find out what had happened to it and have it sent on to us. Not once did they apologise. Insult to injury was then added when I went up pick up the shawl from the Post Office and they had sent it C.O.D.! I rang them and spoke to a very nice gentleman who assured me they would recompense me ASAP and they were very sorry. I then waited 10 days for this to arrive! I will never stay there again certainly not recommend it to anyone else as I feel their service was sadly lacking which is a shame as it is a great location and most of the staff were very pleasant.

Excellent Value and Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Jjjeeefffeee

My high school senior daughter and I flew to Sydney to check out the University of Sydney and the University of New South Wales as potential college choices. I booked the Hyde Park Inn based primarily on the reviews I read here but also because of the hotel's great location. I made a reservation on the hotel's web site for a non-smoking deluxe studio.
We arrived in Sydney at 6:00 a.m. and took the Airport Link train into the city. We got off at the Museum station and were pleased to see the hotel right across the street. Check-in is supposed to be at 1:00 p.m. but there we were at 7:30 a.m. The staff at the front desk did not have a non-smoking deluxe studio ready but asked if we wanted to check out a smoking designated room that was made up. It was on the 14th floor and was quite nice and, surprisingly, did not have even a wiff of smoke smell. We took the room and stayed four nights. It was perfect. I did hear a bit of revelry on the street late one night but our room was high enough so that it was not a problem. And it's true, the water heater is tiny but it is adequate for two people if one does not hog the shower.
The staff was very pleasant and accommodating and gave us extra towels when we surfed Bondi. We really enjoyed our stay. If my daughter ends up going to school downunder, my wife and I will definitely consider staying at the Hyde Park Inn when we visit.

Fantastic! Clean, spacious, good value.

by TripAdvisor Member JannieLou

We’ve had two stays at Hyde Park Inn recently and were very happy with both our experiences. We were on the 12th floor on both occasions so noise was not a problem.

The first stay was as a family of 5 (they provided a fold-up bed for the youngest child) in a 2br front apartment for 6 nights in December. Cost per night was $236, much less than other places in Sydney at this time of year.
The apartment was clean, spacious and relatively modern. It had 2 balconies, one off the lounge and another off the main bedroom. There was an air conditioning unit in the main living area as well as separate ones in each bedroom.
The kitchen was modern, well equipped and included a full size fridge with freezer on top (room for ice-cream… YES!!).
The bathroom was small-ish but having a separate bath made up for that. Shower was a good size and water pressure good. We never ran out of hot water and we each showered or bathed twice every day, two teenage girls really put it to the test!!

Our most recent stay was just 2 adults in a deluxe studio for 2 nights in August at a cost per night of $165.
This studio was excellent, it looks exactly like the photos on the website. Could not fault the facilities or the service. Only a small bar-size fridge in this one but no kids so we didn’t need the ice-cream!!! Just joking :o)
The bathroom did not have a bath but the size and water pressure of the shower was again excellent.

We found the staff at HPI friendly and professional, nothing is a bother! They are knowledgable about their city, including transport options etc and offer good recommendations for dining, shopping and sight-seeing.

I agree with previous reviewers that the freebies such as generous breakfast, laundry, carparking, in-house movies and newspaper all make a big difference to the value of the Hyde Park Inn.

We will always stay at the Hyde Park Inn when we need accommodation in the Sydney CBD.

Good Value, Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member angeld

While in Sydney in July 2006, we stayed 3 nights in the Hyde Park Inn and 3 nights in a 4 star hotel. We enjoyed Hyde Park's location, value and service more than the 4 star hotel's. There was some issues with noise (we were on a low floor) and the decorating and linens were dated, but overall it was a pleasant experience and a good value. We would stay here again.

Disappointing service

by TripAdvisor Member Little_Leo

I booked this hotel based on the previous reviews on Tripadvisor, which generally seemed favourable. Also the location appeared to be suitable for my needs. I was attending a conference but also wanted to be close to shops and restaurants. The location is fine for that, but it is also situated close to a major traffic intersection which means it's really noisy most of the time. That is tolerable, depending on how sensitive you are to traffic noise. What is not tolerable was the blunt, almost rude attitude of some of the reception staff. After checking in, I asked to have my room changed for one with a full bath and the receptionist promptly started calling other hotels in the neighborhood, rather than either just apologize for lack of such rooms or try harder to find one. Having travelled for 24hours, I was not going to go out in the streets of Sydney, changing hotels at my own cost. This particular receptionist was unhelpful in everything! I was happy to acquiesce but politeness and consideration would have been nice. The room was also directly opposite the lift which made it noisy and I wanted that changed....again, it was a challenge for them, one to be met with blunt comments. I explained that I needed to work during the conference days and in fact had explained this quite clearly when I booked the hotel. Overall, the place is sort of clean, there was a faint smell of cigarette smoke in my room even though I'd asked for a non-smoking room. Given the noisy location and the unhelpful reception staff, I would not stay at this hotel again. It is also a long walk from the hub of activity,namely the Rocks and Darling Harbour area.

Ok - shame about the 80s Decor

by TripAdvisor Member rrraahh

We stayed here in a two bed apartment for 5 nights at the end of a 3 week holiday. The apartment was clean but the decor was terribly dated. I felt like I was thrown back in a time warp to the 1980s. On a plus note though the hotel was undergoing decor rennovations (floor by floor) whilst we were there so it will eventually be up to date again.

The location is good south of Circular Quay, just north of central station. Although if you want to catch a ferry from circular quay you are better off getting a train from museum station directly over the road as the walk there can be a bit tiring.

All in all, an ok stay for the price of the room.

New Year in Sydney

by TripAdvisor Member Rosler

We stayed for 7 night over New Year. We booked a Deluxe Studio. We requested and got one of the recently refurbished rooms and they were very nice. Large LCD TV, brown and beige modern fitting, new kitchen, nice comfy beds etc.,.

The Hotel is in a great spot and a bus outside with take you to Paddington in 5 mins. Newtown in 15, the Harbour in 5 mins and the airport in 25. The rooms are big and the Hotel is clean an modern.

The flip side is the balcony can't be used really - too small, traffic too noisy and the air cons drip water down on the balcony. There needs to be a 10min gap between showers and breakfasts are not so great.

I'd still recommend the hotel though - only if you get a refurbished room - other guests downstairs were complaining that they didn't.

Good Base for New Year

by TripAdvisor Member UKCarolineH

Ok, so its not the most flash hotel in Sydney but we were looking to book for new year and struggled to find something that was available for a reasonable price.

Location is great, walking distance to main shopping areas and to Darling Harbour/Circular Quay (or you can catch one of the very regular buses outside if you prefer).

We had no complaints about the room, it was spacious, clean and tidy. We had a deluxe studio with a sofa, table and chairs and small kitchen. The room wouldn't win any interior design awards but it was functional and in good condition. The Air Con was good but the water does drip down from the balconies above. As someone else said, the hot water does run out if you have two people showering one after the other.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and had no real complaints as it was just a place to sleep and it was all about location, location, location for us.

Comments