Ibis Hotel Darling Harbour - Sydney

70 Murray Street, Darling Harbour, Pyrmont, Sydney, New South Wales, 2009, Australia

Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Budget Hotel Hold Your Expectations

We booked this hotel from the Visitors Center at the Rocks, being unfamiliar with the Ibis chain, and in need of a room for one more night, in the face of Mardi Gras which began the day we left. We paid $279. Au for our room, for which I wouldn't have wanted to pay a cent more than $60.00. I have no idea what the room, which faces away from Sydney's skyline, goes for normally, but I imagine it's closer to $100. and I'd consider that expensive for this box. Think Holiday Inn, or any Airport hotel: The Ibis makes those type of hotels seem warm, almost luxurious. I've never seen such a bare bones hotel, but then again, I've never stayed in one of those Japanese pod hotels either, so maybe I'm out of touch.

We arrived ahead of check-in and were directed to an unsecured room where we could leave our luggage. There were lockers but they were all taken.

If you paid a more reasonable rate, and didn't mind the banal appearance of the room, the location is nice, especially for conventioneers, as the convention center is right down the street. The maritime museum is a block away and both the tram and monorail stop in front of the building. The CBD is a short, pleasant walk away, but in a city as fantastic as Sydney, very little of this particular setting says Sydney to me, so i'd prefer to stay somewhere else.

Unique Quality: Unique? What? Where?

Directions: Across pedestrian bridge from CBD; on the monorail, very close to Chinatown, in between the convention center and maritime museum.

More about Ibis Hotel Darling Harbour - Sydney

We Were Very Satisfied

This was our first visit to Sydney. Our travel agent recommended the Ibis at Darling Harbour and we followed her advice. However after the booking had been made etc we surfed the net and read the comments of the Ibis. We therefore had mixed feelings and braced ourselves for the worst (small rooms bad service). Although the rooms are small it is quite adequate. Our room (812) had a fantastic view on Darling Harbour. We found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Location – perfect – everything is so close to the hotel. The restaurants, the ferry stops etc. We only had one bad night that was not really the fault of the hotel staff – rowdy neighbors acting as if they own the place playing music and obviously under the influence at 03:00 until 05:00 on Saturday 8 April.

We somehow got our revenge at 06:00 when we got up to get ready for our day. The US Masters commentators really know how to elaborate a specific point – we made sure our neighbors were kept up to speed on what was happening during the 3rd round of the Masters. Apart from this – will we go back to the Ibis at Darling Harbour ?– most definitely It is fair priced and we think it is a great hotel.

Wonderful Location

by TripAdvisor Member Megabux01

As this was our first trip to Sydney, our travel agent recommended this hotel to us. The location was absolutely wonderful - very pleased!

We arrived around 3pm and the hotel reception desk staff were very friendly and efficient. The hotel room itself was rather small but that didnt bother us as we were only there to sleep! There was a small fridge in the room and a kettle to make yourself tea or coffee which suited us fine.

We ate at the hotel bistro Saturday and Monday nights, which served excellent food at a reasonable price. The bar also had "happy hour" from 5-7pm Monday to Friday which was good too.

Right at the footstep of the hotel was the shopping complex, Harbourside (5 min walk if that). Very nice shopping complex with a good food court.

I would definitely stay here again, the location was absolutely wonderful and everything was close by. It only took us 15 minutes to walk to the city and Centrepoint tower.

No frills on the harbor

by TripAdvisor Member ajtripadvsisor

I write this review in a room on the top floor of Hotel Ibis on September 20, 2006.

This is a no-frills hotel. You get a room and in it is a bed, a television set (not too small, not too big) with 4 local channels, and a toilet with a shower (not too small, not too big). That's about it.

When you check in, get your key from the receptionist and then, taking your luggage with you, go to your room. That's about all that the staff does for you. O, I forgot: they will sell you, if you ask, a bottle of wine or beer, a cup of soup, and newspaper. Ask anything else beyond that and you put the staff programming into overload.

There is a coffee shop of sorts that serve breakfast only and across from it, a bar for an afternoon drink.

If you are looking for more service and more amenities, take your luggage across the bridge and check in at Four Points Hotel (a different review in its own section).

Happy travels!

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jellybeanztogo

This hotel is fantastic. We landed in Sydney after a 24 hour flight at 19:30pm. We were tired and grouchy but when we walked into our room and saw the night view of Darling Harbour it was well worth it. Yes, it is a basic hotel but a good one. Just make sure you get a Darling Harbour view. It is also close to everything and a short walking distance from the boats to Circular Quays. I am definatly going back!

bad services, no smiling and they don't trust in anybody

by TripAdvisor Member travelllover

I travell frecuenly and this is one of the worst experiencies that i have never had in hotels.

first they didn´t have my booking in the check in ( and I booked from their web site [--]). They have an ad in reception with this meaning " we will recive you will with our best smile for your pleasant days in ibis " but in fact i had a very umpleseant argue with the reception manager because she said that I wasn´t in his check in list ( finally of course they found it but I didn´t recive any apologise about that.

After saw that the don´t have the usual baggage storage when you check out ( so if your flight is in the afternoon be ready to have your baggage with you during the hole day) OR to pay their small locker ( is this a backpacker? or a large hotel company?

The room is a backpaker furnished ( no picture, no table, no nothing) bealive me just a white walls and a bed.

But the worst experience was in the check out. Ibis has a great business the take a $50 off from your credit card as a deposit during 2 days after you check out as a security in case you stole something ( the bed theare nothing else in the room ).

Of course i wrote a complaint but after one month I don´t have any answer from Ibis.

Last time in Ibis of course!!

the worse hotel I've ever stayed at

by TripAdvisor Member dododuby

Check in - I'm a frequent traveller and this is the worse hotel I've ever stayed at. I booked a 6 nights non-smoking room through their website, while I checked in, they gave me a smoking room by mistakes, and it took them about 30 minutes to find me a non-smoking room (how difficult is it to switch a room? and of couse, I received no apology, no smile).

$100 security deposit - Yep, they charged $100 to my visa card as a deposit in case I stole anything during the 6 night stay. (there was nothing to steal in the room.. OK? a very small old TV and very small old fridge with a door couldn't be closed properly). In the room, there is a little card saying that they provide a 100% best service guarantee. How can they provide best service if they don't even trust their "valued customers"?

Elevator - There are 3 elevators in the hotel buliding and only 2 were used at the time even during the most busy check-in hours. I've never waited so long for an elevator anywhere else.

Parkade - When I tried to park my car in their parkade, my key didn't work. I couldn't open the gate and I have to buzz someone to open the gate for me. Of couse, I coudn't use my key to get out either. Guess what? the 2nd and 3rd nights, their hotel parking lot were full so I was told to park my car at the public parking lot. When I checked out, they tried to charge me the 2 night parking fee even though they didn't even have a space for me to park.

In general, the receptionist provided no servise, no smile, no nothing. It is a 3-star hotel, but I felt it was like a half-star no-name motor-inn.

Worst experience ever

by TripAdvisor Member Story1

My partner and myself didn't receive a harbour view as requested, and they put us into a twin room instead of a queen. The beds were terrible, one rolled in at the middle. Phone, TV and fridge did not work. We couldn't sleep that night so left the hotel late that night. Will never stay at this hotel ever again, a bad experience overall!!!

Budget hotel in a good location

by TripAdvisor Member Member3

My husband and I spent six nights at the Ibis for a conference. We selected it based on price and proximity to the conference center. This is definitely a budget hotel!

The rooms are tiny; the bed fills the room and you must squeeze around it. The bathroom is even smaller with a shower designed for a very small person and a shower door that won't stay shut. Only one person can go into the bathroom at a time. Amenities were two packets of shampoo, two shards of soap, a shower cap and sanitary bag per day. The room could have been cleaner and the staff would not change your sheets unless you left them a note.

On the first three days, each time we returned to the room in the afternoon, the key would not work. The desk staff would apologize but offer no compensation. One staff member promised that the key would work the next day. When we asked what he'd offer if it did not work, he said, "An apology" which was a poor response. We eventually had the key re-keyed each time we left.

On the good side, the harbor view was beautiful. The room had a refrigerator and coffee/tea-making facilities. The location is excellent, smack in the middle of Darling Harbour with access to Harbourside (a shopping mall), the visitor center, the Chinese garden, the IMAX theater, Wildlife World, the conference center, and tons of shops and restaurants. Most are high-end and it was difficult to find a meal for under $15.

Breakfast at the Ibis was $15/per person for a good buffet. Typical fare was scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, roast tomatoes, baked beans, do-it-yourself waffles, cereal, pastries, yogurt, fruit, and an espresso machine. Judy at the cashier station always had a smile.

The Ibis is fine if you know what you're getting into. Don't expect luxury and enjoy Sydney!

Not too bad - not too good!

by TripAdvisor Member Marty&Susan

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. When I arrived to check in they did not have any record of my booking for two rooms, a twin and a double. This despite the fact that the rooms had been booked and paid for prior to my arrival. Although this was done through Expedia therefore I should perhaps not blame the Ibis. This hiccup was quickly rectified although they did require an imprint of my credit card as security whilst they cleared the situation up!

The rooms were very small although they were clean, fresh and bright. Location was perfect, right beside the hustle and bustle of Darling Harbour.

Bar facilities at the hotel are limited - it opens at 5pm and closes at 10pm each evening. I did sample the buffet breakfast which was simple fayre. The usual array of fruit, cerals, juices, breads, tea and coffee along with a cooked option as well.

Staff were pleasant, polite and efficient.

Overall I would say a good budget hotel in an excellent location. Would I stay here again? Perhaps not, I would most likely take my chances with another option!

Harbour view room at Ibis Darling Harbour

by sorcieus

Has anyone ever stayed there before?
How's the cleanliness and the size of the room itself?

by colin_bramso

Good size rooms, typical hotel size, and the cleanliness is excellent. It's operated by Accor, the largest hotel group in Oz.
Harbour View means Darling Harbour by the way, not Sydney Harbour. You won't see the bridge or Opera House from there.

by aYankinSyd

I agree with the above...I've stayed there as well. Bars and restaurants right out your front door too.

Only thing - when I walked in the room I went "WOW this is is SMALLLLLLLL" Tiny rooms, but good price for the location!

Have fun!

by aussirose

I havn't stayed there but friends of mine have and said it is very good for the price and the location is fabulous. However, I have stayed in the Ibis in Perth and I can fully recommend this chain. Rooms were small but very clean. Hotel also in a very good spot! I reckon you can't go wrong!! Have fun downunder!! Cheers, Ann :o)

by sorcieus

thanks for all the info.
How small is small? There will be 2 adults (incl me). Each of us will have one check in bag and one carry-on.
Thanks again!

by colin_bramso

They're built for two adults, so it's not a problem. You can check the hotel out online...

by Travmad

Big enough for two adults. They had the coolest shower I have ever seen. Very futuristic!

Comments