Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf

22 Shelley Street, King Street Wharf, Corner Erskine Street, Sydney, 2000, Australia
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf

Central to everything!

by TripAdvisor Member Minergal

We (3 adults) stayed in a king harbour room with a rollaway bed. Nice and new, clean, and the staff were very friendly. Walking distance to lots of Sydneys tourist attraction and public transport. My only complaint is that although the food at the breakfast buffet was ample, it was never hot enough! Other than that, I would highly recommended the Ibis Sydney King Street wharf hotel to anyone who is looking for a good for value hotel.

Tiny rooms - very claustrophobic

by TripAdvisor Member GymQueen01

While the rooms were modern and clean, they were tiny . The room was smaller than my modest bedroom at home and smaller than a cruise ship room. Even the windows were small. I couldnt get over the size of the rooms. Given the size of the rooms, the price of the rooms should have been alot cheaper as other hotels I have stayed at have been twice the size for a comparable price. Unfortunately, I couldnt stay here again as I felt very claustophobic and it felt like I was in a prison cell.

All round excellence - will return

by TripAdvisor Member mbl417

I selected this hotel for the convenience of its location and was not disappointed. Room met expectation, even had an LCD TV, staff were courteous and helpful. I would certainly return for business purposes but would not hesitate about visiting with family for theatre trips or sightseeing.

Five Star Service at Two Star Price

by TripAdvisor Member Morningsideralph1

I was skeptical.

A great location/ less than 6 months old/fantastic rate for downtown Sydney.

Something had to be wrong....

It was not. The hotel, under the guidance of General Manager Benjamin Krieg, was, perhaps, one of the best travel bargains of all time. Granted the rooms are not five-star size, nor is there turndown service with mints on the pillows, but you do not pay for that.
What there was evident was an esprit des corps matched by few other hotels in the world
of that price range. We did not sample the breakfast there, nor the bar, but they are there
for you if you need them. Within a 4 block radius there is food from every corner of the
world, and about 45 seconds away is a ferry to Circular Quay, the heart of Sydney Harbour. Darling Harbour and it's many attractions is a pleasant 10 minute walk, with the Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World within a 2 block walk.

The room had every one of your basic needs. The staff at the front desk was quite helpful with our many requests, nothing too small for them to handle.

A very, very strong recommendation for this property to all; certainly one of the stellar
hotels within the Accor Chain.

by TripAdvisor Member juanjeja

We usually stay at higher-end hotels, but with a quick one night trip to Sydney, we opted for this Ibis after reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. The hotel is brand new and very clean and shiny. The rooms are tiny, yes, but we didn't spend much time in the room so we didn't care. The girl at the front desk was very friendly and helpful when we arrived and gave us all the pointers we needed for seeing a bit of the city. The location of the hotel made sightseeing easy, as it is in a great spot, right the downtown area. We didn't make it to breakfast, but the area in which it is served looked very nice - clean and modern. Obviously, since this is an Ibis, there are not many amenities, but for a no-frills stay I would definitely recommend this cute hotel.

710 broomcloset

by TripAdvisor Member kazganymede

We booked this hotel a night before as we were attending a conference in the Darling harbour area.
The hotel is new, clean and minimalist- definitely not a romantic sort of place.
Our room 710 was the smallest broom closet I have ever stayed in. How they dare to shove a queen bed in such a tiny room is beyond me. I rang the desk to ask for another room but there weren't any.

Breakfast was OK- nothing special.

You pay for what you get

by TripAdvisor Member hanisze

We only had 2 nights in Sydney and wanted to see the most of it, so we know we will be out and about most of the day and needed only a comfortable and reasonably priced place to stay.

This hotel fits all our requirements when we did our research online – it was reviewed as reasonably new and clean, centrally located, and a room rate which is within our budget. Another plus point which prompted us to choose this hotel is the fact that the Management of the hotel actually replies to every review written about the hotel on this site and gives suggestions on how to make the stay of their guests better in the future.

We find such gesture to be admirable, it shows that the Management cares about their guests’ feedbacks (whether good or bad) and strives to make their hotel a better place to stay by taking into consideration their guests’ comments.

Based solely on the reviews, we went ahead with our booking and we must say that our first stay in an Ibis hotel was not disappointing. The location of the hotel is indeed ideal and we managed to cover all the highlights of the city on foot from the hotel.

We enjoyed the breakfast with its vast variety of fruits and our room, which faces the main street of the hotel was comfortable and clean. Our initial worries of the traffic noises were unfounded as the street was very quiet during the night.

We have always believed in the saying which goes “You pay for what you get”. For the price which we have paid for this hotel, we got everything which we expected of it. We have paid much more in other places during our travels around the world and got much less in return. We will certainly recommend this hotel to others who are stopping by at Sydney.

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member bulleta

I booked at the Ibis King Street Wharf after reading the wonderful reviews here albeit with a little apprehension as some people described the rooms as 'broom closet sized'. However, since I was alone and only needed a place to sleep, I decided to go for it and certainly do not have any regrets. The hotel is clearly a business hotel, right in the CBD. No fancy frills, only those things necessary for a business traveller. The standard room, altho small, had everything to make your stay comfortable - firm bed, good pillows, coffee/tea making facilties, soap, shampoo, hairdryer, wonderful warm shower, modern furnishings, safe and even an iron and ironing board!! Yes, the room could be tight for two big-sized travellers but there are bigger rooms available. Also some people complained about tiny windows. Looking at the floor plan, yes, there were such rooms but mine (which ended in 03) had a window the length of the room. There was no view though - just of the office building across the street. Had to keep the window closed at night as there were people in the office and they could look right in. There are 2 computers with Internet access downstairs at very reasonable rates if you don't happen to have your computer with you.

Location was wonderful. Could walk everywhere. It was 1.8km to the shopping centres at Pitt St/Queen Victoria Bldg and 2km to Circular Quay/The Rocks. Darling Harbour Wharf was just down the street with boat trips. Food outlets and restaurants everywhere. Many restaurants at the wharf. Next to the hotel were two cafes. Good places to have breakfast etc. Diagonally opposite is a 24 hr supermarket. What more can one ask for? I walked everywhere. Sydney isn't so big. It is however, an uphill walk from hotel to the busy shopping streets so those with walking problems have to take it easy.

I was very happy with my choice and won't hesitate to go back. For a single traveller, I recommend the standard room. For those who require more space, take a bigger room. It doesn't cost that much. And if you want a nice luxurious holiday, stay somewhere else with a pool.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TexasWorldtraveller

This Ibis hotel has a great location and is a nice hotel in general. It was the least expensive hotel in the city. The staff was really nice also.

Enjoying the pubEnjoying the pub

The Navy was in town for Anzac DayThe Navy was in town for Anzac Day

Ready for musselsReady for mussels

My baby girl in ChinatownMy baby girl in Chinatown

by sinsisi2006

hi, it'll soon be my first time to be a backpacker to SYD for 8 days. I'll keep in Syd during the trip. Except the blue mountain accommodation, I'd choose the hostels in the Central area.

I'm thinking, if I choose 5 to 6 different hostels for the trip, then I could explore more on different hostels, and in case if one or more hostels were to be found unpleasant, I could avoid those hostels in the coming nights (of coz chances are that all other hostels are unpleasant, but I suppose it's unlikely to be that unlucky...).

If I just target, say, 2 to 3 particular hostels, I guess I could accommodate easier (e.g. no need to search the address every night.) On the contrary to wot I just said, if it's lucky that the hostels are pleasant, then I could accommodate comfortably for the coming nights in the same place. And I've checked that some hostels offer cheaper price if booking for 3 nights.

So, I'm thinking how I should do.
Could any experienced backpackers suggest the way you book hostels?

Re: Book different hostels every night in the trip or just target some particular hostels?

by buffybird

I can't suggest how you book, as that is up to you on how you travel. I will say to you when coming across the backpackers option of "The Maze" it was fantastically located, had a great meet and greet nights, the quiz night superb as was pub crawl but residence left alot to be desired. I will give you positives, 400m to central train station, across the road from coles, two blocks down from sydney tower. Negatives, um toilet seats aren't fixed, cockroach races across the floor, limited cooking facilities and lots of steps(only two high) carrying luggage.
Budget, great location, we stayed with teens and enjoyed buy beware. NO its not the ritz but as a backpacker it was equal to all. I think across the road was the YHA check that out on the net. Our conditions were spartan but our atmosphere fantastic, my girls loved the experience!

by lynnehamman

Sydney has MANY back-packer hostels. I think that you will not have a problem finding suitable one.
Have a look at this website-
All information on it.

by sinsisi2006

yes, i've already checked a number of hostel websites.
Simply asking, I just concern if I should "diversify" the hostels in the trip of just target particular ones, say 2 to 3 hostels..

by lynnehamman

If you find one that is convenient, and suits your needs- isnt it better to stay with it? Of course- it is YOUR choice!

by sphynxxs

unless you are unhappy with the location, people or general setting, why would you move to another place almost every night? I think you´d just lose too much time dragging your rucksack to yet another place and heading from one hostel to the next when you could enjoy the city and look at the sights. Not sure about your travel agenda, but when I do backpacking it usually feels nice to have a base for more than one or two nights to take a break from continually hitting the road. I mean, after all I suppose you want to explore Sydney, not Sydney hostels?

by sinsisi2006

oh yes, I'm silly, I haven't thought of this point.
I know what I should do now

Comments