Sydney Hotels

Our Members Say

• wise23girl profile photo wise23girl
  • Reviews: 758

The Star Accommodation: some luxury with an Asian flavour

The accommodation linked to Star Casino comprises of Astral Tower and residences and The Darling.
My stay courtesy of the Treasury Casino in Brisbane (or really Echo Entertainment Rewards) was at Astral towers.
The room was very nicely appointed....was clean of course as this must be a 4 or 5 star hotel. There is a concierge on duty....reception staff...a doorman...'the works' one might say.
And just as in The Star Casino itself there was a distinctly Asian flavour in the hotel.....which I think is a pity as surely we go to Asia if we want Asian and the Asians come to Australia to experience Australia.
I did enjoy the lobby coffee lounge....always a favourite of mine but aside from having breakfast in my room I could not find any where to entice me nearby. On day one I walked over the Pyrmont Bridge to enjoy breakfast in The Queen Victoria Building....and that is worth the walk.

Well it was very exciting to find The Lyric Theatre as part of Star Complex and I was able to attend a show "Strictly Ballroom" without getting my feet wet! I was on the doorsep of the Casino and heaps of restaurants and some shopping opportunities too

• Related to: Food and Dining, Luxury Travel, Casino and Gambling
  • Written June 18, 2014
Tip Photo

• victoriajayne profile photo victoriajayne
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

GRACE HOTEL: Most noisy hotel in sydney

oK service etc but we were constantly wokn up by street noise including the hotel cleaners emptying what sounded like the bottle bins at about 5.15am , then some machinery started up cleaning the pipes at about 6am for an hour. apprantly this nis a regular problem for this hotel when they have their kitcheon grease traps cleaned early in the morning .

none

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written August 22, 2011

• cal6060 profile photo cal6060
  • Reviews: 1232

Sydney Harbour YHA: The Rock

I have a wonderful experience staying in Sydney Harbour YHA , why:

1) The location is a short walk to Circular Quay, easy to get a ferry or a city train to see the other part of Sydney.
2) I could go up to the 3rd floor outdoor deck to enjoy the stunning views including the Sydney Opera House, and Harbour bridge.
3) The room is cozy and comfortable with attached bathroom.
4) The lodge and dinning areas are modern and contemporary design.
5) This YHA has built an archaeology site in their facilities, The Big Dig Archaeology Education Centre.

This hostel is slightly more expensive than other YHAs or hostel because It is more than just an average hostel. It is more like a University Residence Hall :: ))

The views worth the value to stay here!!

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Archeology
  • Written July 16, 2011

Sydney Harbour YHA, Sydney

• leon.partsi profile photo leon.partsi
  • Reviews: 104

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bondi Shores Hostel: Cheap, Clean, Average quality hostel in Bondi

The service was very understanding of any issues and looked to be quite willing to help. The fellow patrons are not the best, from what I can see, and the staff are constantly trying to keep the hostel patrons under control.

The facilities are great however - clean beds and linen, stocked kitchen, well-serviced utilities and security. Unfortunately there was no hot water in the shower.

Clean bed and linen.
Cold showers only.
No towel was provided so be sure to bring your own.
Some noise from the pub downstairs at night.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Backpacking
  • Written June 20, 2011

• lindyz profile photo lindyz
  • Reviews: 540

The Russell Hotel: Boutique accomodation with old world charm

When looking for accommodation in central Sydney for an upcoming VT meet, one of our VTers Steve stumbled across this place and booked it. When Frank and I were in Sydney this week, we checked it out, loved it and also booked it for the meet in May.

The Russell Hotel is soooooo central, right in the heart of the Rocks area and only a few minutes walk to Circular Quay, the Opera House, Harbour Bridge etc. It is small - only 3 levels, but it is gorgeous. Built in 1887 it is packed with old world charm, including squeaky floorboards, but hopefully not any ghosts!!!!! Also on site is their fully licensed Acacia Restaurant and The Russell Wine Bar.

Prices of rooms range from $135 for a shared bathroom to $245 for the ensuite Deluxe room which Frank and I booked. I shall definitely let you know how our stay there pans out in May, but Im sure it will be fantastic!!!

AND THAT IT WAS!!! Having just come back from our weekend in Sydney staying at the Russell Hotel, I can happily say that I would highly recommend it and also plan to be staying there again sometime in the future!!! Location is awesome, right in the heart of the Rocks in George Street, right opposite circular quay. Our room was lovely, looked like it had been recently renovated, and the bathroom was HUGE! Service was excellent, our host Elizabeth was keen to please, and she took a liking to Frank in his Duff Man suit and even wanted a photo taken with him!!! As you will see :)

Your room price also included Breakfast, which consisted of pastries, toast, cereal, fruits and tea and coffee. Breakfast is served downstairs in the Wine Bar.

We stayed in the dearest room which is the Deluxe room with ensuite for $245 a night, which I still think is excellent value. Doug stayed in a Superior room with ensuite for $199 a night and Steve stayed in the standard room with shared bathroom, for only $135 a night, all of which still include your free breakfast!!! We thought at first that there was no mini-fridge in the room, looked and looked and couldnt find one. But the next day we discovered it, hidden away in a cupboard underneath the tv stand!!

Old world charm.

Super central.

Great rates.

Roof top garden with great view of the harbour/quay area, perfect for pre-dinner drinks in May!!!!!

Bed and Breakfast, so brekkie is included in your price!!!

• Written March 30, 2011
Tip Photo

Exterior of the Russell Hotel (behind white van)

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1671

Richardson and Wrench, Gladesville: Really good real estate agency

If you are planning to stay for a while and are thinking renting an apartment or a house might be what you need then the guys at Richardson and Wrench, Gladesville have for a long time proved very helpful and efficient for things Ive needed while Ive for the past 10 years been living in the UK.

Richardson and Wrench is a well known Real Estate Agency chain with branches all over Sydney - the Gladesville branch is in a very convenient location on the northern shores of Sydney and covering suburbs that range from budget to very expensive north shore locations.

Gladesville itself is a central area to inner and central city Sydney and is only about 15 or 20 minutes by bus or car to get to.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written November 29, 2010

• unravelau profile photo unravelau
  • Reviews: 589

Taronga Park Zoo's Roar and Snore: Unusual accommodation in a Sydney Zoo

I have not stayed here but with the help of photos in the information brochures, I can easily imagine how unique this accommodation is. Taronga Park Zoo's roar and snore not only provides modern accommodation under tent but also presents an evening meal and breakfast while before and after sleep gives you a fascinating tour or two around this beautiful zoo. See the zoo animals under a different light and wake to the sights and sounds of the big city of Sydney across the harbour and the noises of not traffic but roars and other sounds of the zoo.

I have never before heard of anything quite so unique as this amazing idea. The Sydney Harbour is the backdrop with the skyscrapers in the distance, and the lovely bushy surrounds of the zoo itself gives a most unusual and fascinating experience to all who decide to Roar and Snore at the Taronga Park Zoo.

• Related to: School Holidays, Zoo, Food and Dining
  • Written September 30, 2010

• dachel profile photo dachel
  • Reviews: 49

Cherry Tree Cottage, Leura: Little cosy B & B

The host, sue is a very kind lady. We reached the b&b in the evening due to lose our way in city. She welcomed us with her warmth smile. Our mood is delighted the moment we stepped in the house. The weather is cool but the log fire make us feel warm. The portion of breadfast is generous and we were given a bottle of red wine.

You enjoy 100 % privacy & local phone call is free. The host is really considerate. They prepare a list of restaurant for you in case you want to call & order the food.

We like the deco in the house. It used the pin number to lock the front door. There are plenty of DVD, books and games that you can enjoy. There is bathtub. We never feel bored to live here. In fact, we feel that the times is not enough.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 23, 2010

colorful bathroom

• Callavetta profile photo Callavetta
  • Reviews: 625

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apartment at Bondi Beach: I'm definitely getting smarter about this!

Our upcoming trip will be for two weeks. This time I got smart and picked an apartment from www.vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner). This option requires an extended stay and the apartment we chose isn't available for the first 3 nights of our stay. But that works, because I'm bringing my sister for her first trip to OZ. So we'll stay at the Sheraton for the first 3 nights, giving her a chance to explore the harbor area, and then move to the apartment on Friday.

For AU$150 a night (AU$50 cheaper than the Sheraton) we will have a 2 bedroom apartment! We'll get to explore the Bondi area, enjoy the restaurants, cafes, bars and shops in that area, and eat a bowl of cereal with our morning coffee. Internet access is free, as is parking.

The downside is that you have to pay a significant deposit upon reservation but that should be fully refunded when we leave. We'll save $500 over the course of the stay and will have much more space to spread out in. $750 if you include internet access. $1000 plus if you include the expensive breakfast buffets! Hey, my company should pay ME to stay here. :-) Oh wait, they do.

• Written May 16, 2010

• balhannah profile photo balhannah
  • Reviews: 9817

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

DUNLEITH CARAVAN PARK: Great Location!

This caravan park we stayed in, is in an excellent position, where the lake enters the ocean.
We stayed in our Caravan. The amenities were excellent, there was a nice bbq area, and boom gates for your safety.

Villa's are located right on the waterfront, just looking at the prices for them, I would suggest that you do not come in Peak time!

Check out the prices at the website.

Good park that I would like to return too! I just love the location!

DISTANCE FROM SYDNEY 103kms

• Related to: Camping, Beaches, Sailing and Boating
  • Written March 6, 2010
Tip Photo

• ozulrike profile photo ozulrike
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sydney University Village: Why not stay at a university accommodation?

Accommodation in Sydney are usually quite high, so here is an interesting alternative, available only during the study breaks. You can stay at the university accommodations as the students are usually gone during the breaks. I used University of Sydney a few years ago and stayed in Newtown (15min to CBD or airport) and just booked a studio for beginning of December. They are clean and not as expensive as a hotel, although they are also increasing the price on public holidays and over New Years Eve. Have a look at http://www.sydneyuv.com.au/.

Great location in funky Newtown which has a lot of restaurants, cafes, shops and a cinema.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Disabilities, Singles
  • Written November 4, 2009

Studio room

• sirgaw profile photo sirgaw
  • Reviews: 329

HARBOURVIEW HOTEL: - AMAZING VIEWS

I had previously stayed at this property when it was the North Sydney Travelodge and had well remembered the amazing views overlooking the magnificent harbour, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Circular Quay and the city as a back drop for the scene. The view has not changed, but the hotel has. Now called The Harbourview Hotel it is listed as a 4 star property, but I feel it deserves at least another half star for its rating – and certainly the room we had for 5 nights.

King sized bed, luxury furnishings including a wide screen TV, well appointed and spacious bathroom, tea/coffee making facilities, bar sized fridge, in room safe and the real seller is the great view (see main photo on my Sydney page - it was taken from our room).

We dined in the hotels’ restaurant one evening and found the prices about average for the standard and quality - again a great view. Piano bar, spacious guest lounge and 24 hour business centre on site.

The hotel is located above the North Sydney rail station (station entrance is 1 minute walk) with direct connection to the city of Sydney and interchange with other lines at Wynyard or Town Hall stations - trip to Town Hall station is about 5 minutes. Across the street from the hotel is a shopping centre which includes a supermarket, food court, fresh food market and 50 or so specialty shops.

On site parking available ($15 per day) and conference facilities.

Perhaps the only down side of the hotel is the rumbling of trains, although we stayed on the 8th level and it was not an issue for us.

The real seller for this hotel is the view.

• Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 17, 2009
Tip Photo

• craic profile photo craic
  • Reviews: 392

Alishan International Guest House: Nice guesthouse/hostel

I have stayed here several times.
First off it is not sniffy about seniors, or families with children.
Second off, it is rather charming. A lovely old renovated house.
Third off, although it is in Glebe, it is well positioned near the cafes and bookshops, almost at the corner of Broadway. So it is a quick bus ride, or a slightly longer walk, down to Central Station.
You can get a dorm bed or a private room. It is not the cheapest hostel in town, but it is one of the quietest and most refined. (At least, whenever I have been staying there.)
The bathrooms and the kitchen and the common room are kept clean. The staff are friendly.
I always try this place first when I am coming to Sydney. But it is often full.

• Written October 6, 2009
Tip Photo

Charming old house, good location.

• sheherezad profile photo sheherezad
  • Reviews: 134

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Randwick Lodge: More affordable Sydney suburb accommodation

I certainly would recommend it to someone who seeks weekly accommodation at a reasonable rate (BTW there is no cheap accommodation in Sydney!) in the Randwick area (which is close to the University of New South Wales, with easy access to the Race Course, Coogee Beach, The Spot area of Randwick with its numerous restaurants and cafes and the art deco Ritz cinema, as well as easy access to the City by numerous buses). The biggest asset of the lodge is its manager who is willing to work with you to make your stay more comfortable! Amenities are comprehensive for someone who wishes a little more flexibility than hotels when it comes to preparing one's own food/eating in one's room which is well appointed with a small fridge, kitchen sink, crockery and cutlery (and dishwahing cloth and liquid) plus tea and coffee making facilities.

Randwick Lodge is a heritage building in the heart of the Randwick area of Sydney. It has a courtyard which has a barbeque for guests to use. Longer term stayers can negotiate a more competitive rate with the manager who is flexible and has great peoples' skill, having worked in the hotel service industry for sometime!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Disabilities
  • Written December 7, 2008

Your friendly manager

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Central Private Hotel: Money's worth even if room is a little tight!

Barely a 5 minutes walk out of Central Station along Elizabeth Street, you can't ask for more location wise, even though it isn't located at any of the posh or funky spots in the city. I make no pretence....the area it is located in looked pretty shabby, though hardly seedy. This part of the city has a sizeable Asian presence, as noted by the number of Indian and Korean groceries and eateries. In fact, I am quite sure the owner of this Hotel is Korean.

The Hotel looked squalid across the street. The image did not improve as you moved along the tired and occasionally stained carpeted floor of the corridor right passed an opened air light well featuring rusting and crumbling metal parts. I was beginning to regret my decision as I moved past 2 heavily locked forbidding rooms to reach my No.7 room at the far end of the corridor. Once upon entering though, the grey world outside seemingly fade away as I stepped in. No, there is no hidden palace. Yeah, I faced a small cramped room....hardly any space to walk but I had a window facing a carpark and some office buildings so I am not complaining about having natural light and fresh air!

My ensuite single room had a single bed occupying almost 75% of the space but I had my TV, kettle, a cupboard, a sink and complimentary coffee/tea as promised for A$80 a night.

So where's the money worth?

There is a computer in the room, offering FREE Internet. Yes, FREE.
I did not even get enjoy such privilege in 5 stars Hotels...and yet in this self-proclaimed 2.5 stars one, I could and had enjoyed unlimited Internet access. Almost revolutionary.

Internet access is always important for travellers and the fact you can use it for free, really, you couldn't ask for more.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Singles