Mercure Hotel Sydney Airport

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo

On the Airport's Doorstep

This hotel is a good choice if you want clean, comfortable and close to the airport accomodation. The staff are efficient if not overly friendly. Check-in was prompt and unproblematic. Rooms are fairly spacious and the beds seem designed specifically for tired and sore bodies...I slept like a baby! The bathrooms are spotless and equipped with basic toiletries and hair dryer. There is a swimming pool, gymnasium, bar and restaurant, and if you need to strech your legs there are some good hikes at nearby Wolli Creek. Parking will cost you an extra $12AUD for overnight.
    My only complaint is in relation to their reataurant, 'Seasons'. The steak I ordered was terrible...I have eaten beef jerky that was more tender! Hubby had the chicken and fared no better. It was a bit of a disapointment as I had heard good things about them.

• Mercure, Sydney

$110 AUS

Unique Quality: Very modern, with staff that seem to want to help rather than have to help because its their job.

More about Mercure Hotel Sydney Airport

ok for a pit stop

by TripAdvisor Member angnando

Booked overnight stay here due to having to board an early flight the following morning, and the fly drive package was good value since it included room, 5 days car parking and shuttle transfers to/from airport.

Certainly nowhere near the quality of the Stamford Airport Hotel although the location I feel is slightly better, particularly if you feel like going for a walk outside the hotel. Being located right near Wolli Creek and also having the Kogarah Golf Course nearby gives you the feeling you're not just next to an airport and adds a bit of greenery and space around the hotel.

Would only rate this 3 stars, hotel facade is dated although once inside facilities and room we stayed in was ok. Again, whilst not the usual mercure standard it was comfortable and did its job. Service is very minimal however so don't expect anyone at the front entrance and even reception had 1 staff most of the time so you can be left waiting during busy periods.

The bar was fairly good and provided a nice spot to spend a few hours of the evening relaxing, having a drink, and playing complementary snooker.

Its a Bed

by TripAdvisor Member AndrewCrown

Anonymous and mediocre..... The staff will happily watch you unload your car and struggle through the lobby with your suitcases. I think this place has been recently upgraded but my room was just tatty, a modern carpet and funky paint doesn't hide that the fittings in this place are early 80's maybe? Its just ok if you need somewhere to sleep.

Very clean

by TripAdvisor Member tess1375

Stayed one night on the 5th December. I found check-in staff cold & unfriendly. Same person on duty both on arrival & departure. Makes you feel unwanted & a nuisance. But room-service & restaurant staff excellent. Friendly & obliging. Room was very clean. Early check-in and late check-out allowed so was pleased with that.

Reasonable airport hotel for a short stay

by TripAdvisor Member Darlox

We stayed at the Mercure Sydney Airport for two nights, starting New Year's Eve 2008. Because of the insane prices of Sydney hotels on New Year's, the price we paid for the hotel was reasonable, but only by comparison. "Cheaper than downtown" was about the best we could say about our rate.

Overall, the hotel was a comfortable and passable site for a quick stay. If you're only visiting Sydney briefly, or need accessibility to the airport or long-distance rail, the Mercure may be a good choice.

LOCATION:
Literally seconds from Sydney International, the hotel is within view of the airport's International Arrivals area. The hotel has a shuttle available on a fixed schedule, but a cab ride is only $5 and may be more efficient. The hotel is located adjacent to a medium-sized park which is a pleasant place to get some fresh air on nice days, with biking/jogging trails around a small lagoon, and public playground equipment and barbeque grills available. About a 10 minute walk from the hotel is the Wolli Creek train station, with direct service to downtown and other popular areas like Bondi Junction. Trains to/from Wolli Creek are less than half the cost of trains directly to the airport, despite being on the same line and less than a mile away!

ROOMS:
The rooms are a bit dated, but were generally clean and acceptable. The bed was a bit firm for our tastes, but the room was spacious and had all of the amenities one would expect from a budget travel hotel. Initially, on check-in, we thought our air conditioning was broken -- however it was actually fine; the AC is controlled by a small not-obvious switch on the nightstand that must be turned on before the on-wall thermostat will work. There is no wireless Internet in the rooms.

SERVICE:
The front desk staff seemed somewhat overworked, and anything we needed involved a wait for either other guests, or people calling on the phone. They accommodated all of our requests, and were fairly knowledgeable about the Sydney area, but were a bit inefficient. We reserved a cab one evening, for the next morning -- and while they did call the next morning after the cab never arrived, other guests who were also waiting indicated that they'd also had problems reserving cabs through the front desk. Recommend booking your own.

AMENITIES:
The hotel's nod to snacks is a strange card-based minibar located outside the elevator on each floor. If you want to purchase standard minibar fare or alcohol, you get a card from the front desk that's linked to your room account. Your card unlocks the mini-bar, and removing any item from its slot charges it to your account. The hotel has no guest laundry, but there is a travel inn across the street that does have washers and dryers available. The front desk said they were available for our use, and that hotel had no problems with us using their facilities.

There are undoubtedly better places to stay in Sydney, but if you need accessibility to the airport and want easy train access to downtown, this is a good traveler hotel for you.

Not bad if you need it.

by TripAdvisor Member f2s

Found the" free"shuttle bus,but it is not free back to the airport.
Good check in and room upgrade as Accor card member.
Our floor did have WiFi.We had park view,but strange location.
Bar OK,but please shoot the live musician.There is little enough room and as a stopover I want peace.We had to dine in the restaurant to get away from the "music" and it was a pleasant room.
Took the first plane out.

Below average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jhuang

I stayed at the Mercure Hotel Sydney Airport for one night due to an interview that was being held there the following day. The rate was $230 which was pretty expensive, but fine. I arrived approximately 9pm and was polite to check-in staff, but they were extremely unfriendly. I went to my room and after using the toilet, found that it kept running very loudly after being flushed. I called the reception and they said they would send somebody up to look at it. Half an hour later, the toilet was still running, and I wanted just to sleep as my conference was early the following morning. So I called the reception and asked to move rooms, which she said would be fine. She asked me to leave my luggage in the present room as it would be shifted and go down to reception. When I arrived at the reception, a different staff member looked at me bizarrely when I said I was asked to come down to change room. She very abruptly went to check and when she came back, she handed me a new key. I asked if I should go back to my room and get my stuff. She asked me "What stuff?" before agreeing and telling me to get it myself.

The new hotel room was fine and spacious, just like the first one. The rooms are looking a little old but they have a great view of the airport tarmac out the windows. I ordered breakfast and lunch the following days from Room Service and these were delivered promptly and with a smile. It seems the hotel could do with re-training their front counter staff. The room service was great.

Overpriced andover-rated

by TripAdvisor Member mandeville-travels

Airport hotels cater to a captive market, and this one is no exception, made worse by the fact that a taxi is required to get to the hotel. Overpriced rooms, overpriced food and completely unimaginative cuisine. A white bowl of white yoghurt at 5.30am did not make a good start to the day. the breakfast order was also incorrect. If you have to overnight to make a flight connection, fly out of Melbourne if you have the choice - the hotels are better and represent much better value

Overpriced and disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member vabill

I chose this hotel because although the rate was still over $200, it was more affordable than some of the others in the area. The parking is an additional 12.00 daily and is a tight fit if your car is anything bigger than an intermediate.
The room has tired appearance, the desk lamp did not work and the soundproofing from the next room was non-existent. Fortunately, other than some coughing, the person next door was alone and didn't watch TV.
The 1960's vintage bathroom had a sign that said if you take a shower one minute less you will save 9 liters of water. I don't think you could have gotten 9 liters of water through that shower head in 30 minutes - the worst I have experienced in Australia.

The restaurants are overpriced and the food mediocre. If you are into huge heaps of chips (fries) with every menu item then you might be satisfied.
The absolute worse part of this stay was the Internet service. You have a choice of 1 hour for 10.00 or one day for 27.95. I chose one hour and after about 8 - 10 minutes on line was interrupted buy a phone call. During that time my laptop went to energy saver and when I went to re-open the browser I was hit with another request for money (the one hour is continuous and if you stop, you lose). My complaints to the front desk were met with absolutely no sympathy - just "that's Telstra".
Will not consider this hotel for future stays near Sydney airport.

Comments